Kings Island 2018: new (pony) ride

gforce1994

Well, they're horses not ponies so chances are it is a decently high weight limit. All children and most adults should be able to ride. 

Edit: just went and looked at the pics, and it says the weight limit is 150 lbs. I must have overestimated the size of the horses. Ironically, after doing a little more research, it turns out that ponies, even though they are a little shorter, because they have a stockier build, would probably be able to carry heavier loads. 

And I know the sign calls them "ponies" but the animals I saw giving rides had the conformation of horses, not ponies. 

• Like 2

The goats ate them.

Speaking of goats a grandparent brought some smoked goat meat to a campout a few months ago.  I had never had it before and it was pretty good.   Would be a good idea for Coney BBQ.  They might need to expand the goat area a little bit more to accommodate the demand.   Pet the goat, feed the goat, eat the goat.  What a wonderful circle of life experience for the little tikes.  

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Horses are incredibly strong animals, but too much weight on their backs is definitely a bad thing. Proper fitting of tack as well as proper rider posture/weight distribution is super important. Proper riding attire for the rider themselves is also key.

I realize this is a pretty cool experience that a lot of people may not get to have otherwise, but my biggest issue is that these types of attractions simply don't belong in amusement parks. Horses are not just recreational vehicles for our entertainment and these attractions don't teach people the whole experience that is involved with riding and caring for a horse ( basic horsemanship/etique, grooming, tacking up, riding, cooling down, un-tacking, etc )

I also realize that many people may not care to learn these things, they simply wish to get on a horse and ride, but I feel that since these are still animals, large ones at that, they deserve respect and understanding as well. It is an honor for a horse to let you borrow their bodies for a moment of freedom. 

I just wish more people would take the liberty of going to a stable or horse farm to learn about these animals if they like them so much. Gives you a much better appreciation for them. 

Surely some of you might disagree or think I'm being negative, but as a horse owner of over 20 years, I care deeply for these animals and it makes me sad how many untrained people just think you hop on and go when there is so much more involved....even if in these cases there is someone holding a lead rope. 

• Like 6

On 7/7/2018 at 10:15 AM, DJSkyFoxx said:

Horses are incredibly strong animals, but too much weight on their backs is definitely a bad thing. Proper fitting of tack as well as proper rider posture/weight distribution is super important. Proper riding attire for the rider themselves is also key.

I realize this is a pretty cool experience that a lot of people may not get to have otherwise, but my biggest issue is that these types of attractions simply don't belong in amusement parks. Horses are not just recreational vehicles for our entertainment and these attractions don't teach people the whole experience that is involved with riding and caring for a horse ( basic horsemanship/etique, grooming, tacking up, riding, cooling down, un-tacking, etc )

I also realize that many people may not care to learn these things, they simply wish to get on a horse and ride, but I feel that since these are still animals, large ones at that, they deserve respect and understanding as well. It is an honor for a horse to let you borrow their bodies for a moment of freedom. 

I just wish more people would take the liberty of going to a stable or horse farm to learn about these animals if they like them so much. Gives you a much better appreciation for them. 

Surely some of you might disagree or think I'm being negative, but as a horse owner of over 20 years, I care deeply for these animals and it makes me sad how many untrained people just think you hop on and go when there is so much more involved....even if in these cases there is someone holding a lead rope. 

Agreed, this is far from ideal for the crowd who knows nothing other than to sit down and wait for someone to get on a mic and say “ all clear”.