Dress code in the park

Tera Ryzing

37 minutes ago, alsoran said:

It is an uphill battle because it is not enforced.  When it starts being enforced, it would set an example, but hey, they are only rules.  Isn't that like if we have a murdering spree, well it is so hard to enforce because so many are doing it?  So what if it is a law?  (This is meant to be a little sarcastic)  Yes, I break the speed limit on occasion, but if I get pulled over, I don't tell the cop, I was only doing 5 over.  The law, or rule, is just that.  There needs to be enforcement.  If you don't want to enforce it, don't make it a rule or law.

I've been to Kings Island once this year and was stopped on two rides to ask people to put down their cell phones.

The ride operator can only see them as they exit the station and on the lift hill.  I'm not sure what else you want them to do.

• Like 2

I was disappointed to see that there is a people of Kings Island Instagram account, but it doesn’t appear to be active.   I was disappointed. My wife and I enjoy the people watching more than the rides. 

I often feel like I’m the only person in the Park not wearing a tie died Steelers shirt that is 3x too large with an offensive saying on it. 

People not abiding by the dress code doesn’t bother me. I could care less how naked they are. But I do find it funny that people have such little self respect that they dress that way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsoran said:

It is an uphill battle because it is not enforced.  When it starts being enforced, it would set an example, but hey, they are only rules.  Isn't that like if we have a murdering spree, well it is so hard to enforce because so many are doing it?  So what if it is a law?  (This is meant to be a little sarcastic)  Yes, I break the speed limit on occasion, but if I get pulled over, I don't tell the cop, I was only doing 5 over.  The law, or rule, is just that.  There needs to be enforcement.  If you don't want to enforce it, don't make it a rule or law.

If it was 100% enforced, then we'd have people on these boards complaining about every other train being stopped on the lift to confiscate a phone, making lines longer.

It's almost logistically impossible to stop every single instance of this. If it's seen during dispatch, sure. But if a phone is brought out on the lift, it's up to the person operating the ride to spot it on lift cameras and it's usually not that easy.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JAHill said:

If it was 100% enforced, then we'd have people on these boards complaining about every other train being stopped on the lift to confiscate a phone, making lines longer.

It's almost logistically impossible to stop every single instance of this. If it's seen during dispatch, sure. But if a phone is brought out on the lift, it's up to the person operating the ride to spot it on lift cameras and it's usually not that easy.

There are already people complaining about this anyway.  What I am saying is that if you want to make rules, enforce them.  Otherwise they are not rules, but only suggestions.  Eventually, the little things grow into bigger things.  I don't have the answer to this, but there is someone that does.  And when nobody acts like they care, it will never stop until someone gets hurt.  Nobody wants that, but that is what happens.  When someone gets hurt, what happens then, a full body screening before entering the ride to be sure you do not have a cell phone or anything that can be dropped?  May be extreme, but seems to happen after someone gets hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsoran said:

There are already people complaining about this anyway.  What I am saying is that if you want to make rules, enforce them.  Otherwise they are not rules, but only suggestions.  Eventually, the little things grow into bigger things.  I don't have the answer to this, but there is someone that does.  And when nobody acts like they care, it will never stop until someone gets hurt.  Nobody wants that, but that is what happens.  When someone gets hurt, what happens then, a full body screening before entering the ride to be sure you do not have a cell phone or anything that can be dropped?  May be extreme, but seems to happen after someone gets hurt.

The only way this problem gets solved is if they have metal detectors at the line entrance like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit at Universal Studios.  I'm telling you from experience operating a ride, it's impossible to see everything.  People aren't pulling their phones out in the station, they wait until they get past the operator.  It's near impossible to see cell phones on the lift hill cameras.  You can go on this crusade all you want, but the park is going to have to make some serious changes to their policies to make this happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, teenageninja said:

The only way this problem gets solved is if they have metal detectors at the line entrance like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit at Universal Studios.  I'm telling you from experience operating a ride, it's impossible to see everything.  People aren't pulling their phones out in the station, they wait until they get past the operator.  It's near impossible to see cell phones on the lift hill cameras.  You can go on this crusade all you want, but the park is going to have to make some serious changes to their policies to make this happen.

And that won’t fly since it might cause issues. For instance, some Diabetics wear insulin pumps that are firmly clamped to the belt. Is the park really going to ask a diabetic to remove their insulin device for a line that could be 5 hours long? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

Depending on who’s working the ride, we can stop the ride if someone wasn’t following the rules. It just depends on whether we see it or not. Unfortunately, it’s an uphill battle as so many people do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I am talking about, to me this comment says, oh well, everyone else is doing it.  I am not pointing fingers at ride operators.  They can't and will never catch everything.  However, it is their responsibility to address it when it is brought to their attention.  This may sound a little gradeschoolish, but, what about taken a phone from someone caught and holding it at the front gate until they leave for the day, for the first offense, and asked to leave the park for the second offense.  When it starts getting enforced, more people will stop doing it.  Just a little thought in my mind.  May not be the answer, but a thought.  Anyway, I am going to end my part with this, I have never blamed the ride op's for any problems ever encountered.  I did get hit with a phone riding Diamondback last year, it was just a graze off the arm, nothing hurt, but what if that would have hit someone in the head?  

• Like 1

This is what I am talking about, to me this comment says, oh well, everyone else is doing it.  I am not pointing fingers at ride operators.  They can't and will never catch everything.  However, it is their responsibility to address it when it is brought to their attention.  This may sound a little gradeschoolish, but, what about taken a phone from someone caught and holding it at the front gate until they leave for the day, for the first offense, and asked to leave the park for the second offense.  When it starts getting enforced, more people will stop doing it.  Just a little thought in my mind.  May not be the answer, but a thought.  Anyway, I am going to end my part with this, I have never blamed the ride op's for any problems ever encountered.  I did get hit with a phone riding Diamondback last year, it was just a graze off the arm, nothing hurt, but what if that would have hit someone in the head?  

I did not say “Oh well, everyone else is doing it” I said that it’s extremely difficult to find every single person doing it but when we do find someone we will take the appropriate steps necessary to make sure the person doesn’t do it again. I’m pretty sure if our attitude was “oh well, everyone else is doing it” you’d see a lot of people lose their jobs.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.  Until the park polices  YouTube, and any other video posting site, and asks for videos to be taken down, this will continue.  Ride op's don't really have the ability, or the authority needed to catch/stop this. 

Remove the forum, the problem goes away.  If you can't get those "likes" there is no reason to take the video

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, NoChickens said:

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.  Until the park polices  YouTube, and any other video posting site, and asks for videos to be taken down, this will continue.  Ride op's don't really have the ability, or the authority needed to catch/stop this. 

Remove the forum, the problem goes away.  If you can't get those "likes" there is no reason to take the video

You have been voluntold.  :D

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NoChickens said:

But does anyone actually like these videos??? How much of a narcissist does someone have to be that people think they want to see their super-shaky cell phone video??? 

• Like 4

About a month ago I was looking at some park videos on YouTube of CP,  this one guy posts videos constantly and you can tell they are not park approved and done on his own, well he made a comment that his season pass had been suspended because of his taping, he said he was trying to work it out. Now I know this won't help for people that come and don't have passes but I really hope that they did take the pass away. After I saw that video with his comment I stopped watching anything that he had.

On 5/31/2018 at 5:44 PM, Bansheeback said:

I did not say “Oh well, everyone else is doing it” I said that it’s extremely difficult to find every single person doing it but when we do find someone we will take the appropriate steps necessary to make sure the person doesn’t do it again. I’m pretty sure if our attitude was “oh well, everyone else is doing it” you’d see a lot of people lose their jobs.

I wasn't saying you said that, but that was what I kind of heard.  Please don't take this as I am saying ride ops are not doing their jobs either.  I know it is a difficult thing and most are trying.  I do believe there could be some better measures to keep this from happening.  Is it all up to the ops? Not completely, but they need better backing to do what needs to be done and strike fear into the ones doing this.  Maybe, when one starts complaining on here how they were excorted out for this, more will listen and not do it.  I don't know, but I think it can be better taken care of.  Maybe take their FLP away for that day.  My guess most that do this are ones that use these.  (I am not getting on my complete hatred of FLP) I would bet the odds are 75% are ones that have this.  

Anyway, enough of the rant on this subject, back to what the title is, dress code.

And yes, ride ops, thank you for what you do.  Ya'll do a great job, KI is probably the quickest lines anywhere I have seen. 

• Like 1

I really, really wish the park would enforce this more.  Parks attract some folks that wear stuff I just think is so very trashy and I don't want my kids to read or see. 

It's an amusement park, man.  For kids...adults like us have an obligation not to dress, act and talk like you're auditioning for Springer. 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:11 AM, AnyPancakes said:

I often feel like I’m the only person in the Park not wearing a tie died Steelers shirt that is 3x too large with an offensive saying on it.

This made me LOL.  Or 3 sizes too short...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

This made me LOL.  Or 3 sizes too short...

When I originally had this thought it was April, and still cold out.  This is certainly true now.  When going to the park you need a squid hat, some sort of rainbow tail that attaches to your belt, and a Steelers shirt that shows off your belly.

I wore a blue golf shirt and kahaki shorts to the park last week.  I felt horribly over dressed.  I need a wild outfit.  That is all there is to it.

• Like 1

I’d rather deal with that then being hit in the face with a phone.

Amen to that! Someone could be employed full time scouting YouTube for illegal POVs.

2 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Amen to that! Someone could be employed full time scouting YouTube for illegal POVs.

I will take that job!

I think some people may not see the harm in it.. I took videos on all the rides a couple years back, not for youtube, but for home watching for fun, and it honestly didn't cross my mind the danger to others... I just thought worst case, I lose my phone.. But after catching hell on here and getting smacked with sunglasses from someone on DB I get it really is a true danger, possibly kill someone.. I think more signs need to be put up stating the dangers and the consequences.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

I think some people may not see the harm in it.. I took videos on all the rides a couple years back, not for youtube, but for home watching for fun, and it honestly didn't cross my mind the danger to others... I just thought worst case, I lose my phone.. But after catching hell on here and getting smacked with sunglasses from someone on DB I get it really is a true danger, possibly kill someone.. I think more signs need to be put up stating the dangers and the consequences.

I think teens especially don't get the dangers, Tues on Beast there were people in back of me doing it and the ride op even made an announcement when we were on the lift hill, they didn't care, just laughed, it just angered me knowing what could happen.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, Oldschool75 said:

One would think that would fall under the duties of the area manager of digital marketing....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reminds me of my 1st trip to CP back in the 90s.  I was wearing a shirt for my friend's restaurant featuring their annual oyster fest...the back had the slogan, "shuck me, suck me, eat me raw" Never even gave it a 2nd thought TBH, but those CP guys were on me right at the gate. I just turned it inside out and it was no big deal-I get it...was just amazed at how vigilant they were.

Funny, I'm offended by plenty of stuff I see people wear that is totally fine by the dress code--political idiocy, religious fanaticism, state worship, Steeler fandom, etc...but I guess you have to have some standards!