Managing Personal Belongings in the Park

whengodsaysgo

Check these puppies out! :huh:

https://buff.ly/2J4YY17

So, I’ve noticed tons of cargo pants and shorts worn in the enthusiast community. Lots of people utilize these handy dandy zippered pockets to secure their phones and other personal items while they enjoy the likes of The Beast, Diamondback and all of the other rides we love. 

See, I’m a skirt girl. And finding a skirt with a pocket let alone a useful zippered pocket is next to impossible. I’m not a fan of the fanny pack - too bulky. You couldn’t pay me to carry a purse. My favorite items for storing personal belongings on my body (while wearing a skirt!) are my RooSport pouch and my wrist wallet. 

I purchased the larger RooSport, and I love it! It’s waterproof, has a zippered pocket for cards and cash (or a pack of gum if you’re like me), a slot for your phone (complete with a hole to attach earbuds), and a tiny pouch perfect for my lip balm. It slides under my waist band and snaps with a strong magnetic closure. It’s slim and sleek and does a fantastic job. My wrist wallet looks like a sweat band, but it holds my cards or cash as well.

How do you organize and secure your stuff at KI?

All three of us wear Boy Scout uniform shorts/trunks.   Quick dry synthetics, zippered pocket and a double ziplock drybag attached to a tether in the left cargo pocket perfect for key FOB or other items.   No metal so waterpark approved and only $22 and no sales tax.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

All three of us wear Boy Scout uniform shorts/trunks.   Quick dry synthetics, zippered pocket and a double ziplock drybag attached to a tether in the left cargo pocket perfect for key FOB or other items.   No metal so waterpark approved and only $22 and no sales tax.

I never even thought about my key fob getting wet.. my car doesn't use a key, just fob and I've rode white water canyon couple times with it in my pocket. I've been lucky

I am sure they are water resistant to a degree but having it short out would really suck.  More importantly I like it being secured separately from my phone which I am taking in and out of pockets.  The days of the magnetic key box tucked in the undercarriage are over.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I am sure they are water resistant to a degree but having it short out would really suck.  More importantly I like it being secured separately from my phone which I am taking in and out of pockets.  The days of the magnetic key box tucked in the undercarriage are over.

Some of those boxes will probably block the keys rf signal for the car. I'd test it out if I were you and you still wanted to use one. Where I work at we handle hundreds of cars and use lockboxes on the windows, we have a metal insert that the smart keys go into before going into the lock box so that people can't just hop into the car without getting the key from the lock box.

• Like 1

We found North Face cargo pants due to a brisk May trip to Cedar Point in 2015. The legs unzip into shorts. Has 1 zipper pocket for key and phone on inversions. The ready are velcro that I am looking to change to zippers. Thesee are my park pants, winter and summer, so if you always see me in khaki,  you know why.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gtncaa said:

I always get a locker, and have been curious about what others do.

Many of us are frequent attendees so getting a locker each visit would start to add up, so we learn to travel light.  There are many tricks such as using the disposable drink cup plan, checking in any critical medications at First Aid, cargo shorts etc.  

CP has started a roaming locker system this year which hopefully will find it’s way to KI sometime soon.   Small children don’t travel light, big cameras, variable weather days etc. all make a locker convenient or even necessary for some.  

I genneraly just carry my phone, a clip for Passes/license/cc, travel size sunscreen I refill, and a small bottle with a few meds I need quick access to.  Sometimes a .97 Walmart rain poncho, usually have a small powerbank if I will be there a long time.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

I never even thought about my key fob getting wet.. my car doesn't use a key, just fob and I've rode white water canyon couple times with it in my pocket. I've been lucky

I jumped in a pool to save someone and had a 2014 and 1999 key fob and was in there for 10 min before realizing I had those on me. Both stayed dry and worked fine.

• Like 1

I have been on the lookout for a good pair of cargo shorts. I currently only have one pair with a zippered pocket. I get by with them, but they are camo and go down too far. Anyone know where I can find just a normal, plain colored pair of shorts with zippered pockets?

I got some golf shorts with bilateral zippered pockets at Sam's Club and they are great! They also had Columbia ****s with a zippered pocket.

I have been on the lookout for a good pair of cargo shorts. I currently only have one pair with a zippered pocket. I get by with them, but they are camo and go down too far. Anyone know where I can find just a normal, plain colored pair of shorts with zippered pockets?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joshua said:I have been on the lookout for a good pair of cargo shorts. I currently only have one pair with a zippered pocket. I get by with them, but they are camo and go down too far. Anyone know where I can find just a normal, plain colored pair of shorts with zippered pockets?

Cotton ones are easy to find but you have to look a bit harder for good synthetic ones.  Not sure what you mean by normal, plain colored.  Off the shelf multiple zippered pockets seems to be a unicorn. 

I have these and are ok, they come in different colors and lengths.  

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Silver-Ridge-Cargo-Short/dp/B006ZS3SL4

The Duluth Trading Co.  dry on the fly cargo shorts are top quality but pricey.  Come in two lengths. Often on sale for 20% off.  

I still think the Boy Scout shorts are the best for parks/waterpark.  They have a drawstring so can be worn with or without a belt.  In sizes youth small to men’s 3X but do not come in different lengths.  Most cities should have a Scout Shop, but can be purchased online.

https://www.scoutshop.org/adult-boy-scout-uniform-shorts.html

You can always have an alterations shop add more zippers for $10-$15, or even hem the legs for $10.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yippee Skippee said:

I found some Wrangler shorts similar to those Columbia ones at Walmart.

Hmm...  I will look into those. Last I looked at my local Walmarts, none of the shorts had zippered pockets. I will check them again. :)

35 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

I wear athletic shorts with a zipper on the pockets or a fleece with zipper pockets in spring and fall.  What are people with no kids packing in backpacks to the park?

Well some have have to reapply makeup so they look perfect for that selfie on the lift hill.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Many of us are frequent attendees so getting a locker each visit would start to add up, so we learn to travel light.  There are many tricks such as using the disposable drink cup plan, checking in any critical medications at First Aid, cargo shorts etc.  

CP has started a roaming locker system this year which hopefully will find it’s way to KI sometime soon.   Small children don’t travel light, big cameras, variable weather days etc. all make a locker convenient or even necessary for some.  

I genneraly just carry my phone, a clip for Passes/license/cc, travel size sunscreen I refill, and a small bottle with a few meds I need quick access to.  Sometimes a .97 Walmart rain poncho, usually have a small powerbank if I will be there a long time.  

That sounds like a good plan. I'm a passholder, I just wish I could make it there more (I'm about 45 mins. away). I'm not a huge fan of cargo shorts on myself, but I may need to invest in some, haha. Does anyone use a fanny pack?

2 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

I wear athletic shorts with a zipper on the pockets or a fleece with zipper pockets in spring and fall.  What are people with no kids packing in backpacks to the park?

I haven't lugged a backpack, but I'm guilty of bringing the phone, keys, wallet, sunscreen, etc.

8 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Fanny packs are already outlawed on steel vengeance.  May be chain wide eventually.  Personally I feel there should be no loose article policy on any ride 

It's not really a loose article if it's strapped to you, is it?

• Like 1

It’s hard to put a rule and guidance on fanny packs becuase they vary from huge multi compartment hard shell pouches that could hold enough ammo to start a small war to nothing more than a spandex tube with a zipper similar to an old school money belt but can stretch to hold a phone and maybe some keys. 

Early on in dealing with my medical condition, I had to carry a backpack with various items around with me at parks (won't get into specifics, but I needed a backpack for stuff).  I usually planned ahead on my park route to group together rides that didn't allow for loose articles (example- at KI, I would group together WindSeeker before it had the bins, Firehawk and Flight of Fear together, this was before Banshee arrived). Granted, that was a very short amount of time where I needed that and I only went to KI, HP and Dollywood (Dollywood was incredibly well accommodating) in that time, but I did mock-plan for a few other parks.  

I would hope that a park that had a full no loose articles on any ride policy would provide super cheap or free lockers, and/or at least have a policy where those with medical conditions that had to keep certain items on them to keep that with them in line (like a form or wristband or something).