VA trip this weekend

Tera Ryzing

As usual I am confused by your pithy posts.  Word economics is a good thing, but you take it to an extreme level so there is never enough context and frequently members read something you many not have intended into it.

So how is BGW a family day and the others not?  Leaving the kids at pet check?  :D

Also I have never ever seen a positive report about SFA.  

• Like 1

Great first day.  Planet Snoopy was incredible for the baby.  Grizzly is a very underrated coaster.  Longest line was 10min for front seat on twisted timbers.  Wife thought twisted timbers was going to be like Mystic Timbers, lol.  I305 is still the best coaster I have ever ridden.  They are running two trains on TT.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 5:31 PM, King Ding Dong said:

Also I have never ever seen a positive report about SFA.  

SFA has its cons, but it also has its pros:

Pros:

(1) The dry side of the park is hardly ever busy, most people seem to go for the water park. (2) Every ride in the park has always been operating when I've been there (I've been at least 5 times), except for the standard Intamin coaster downtime, which I seem to experience at every park I've ever been to that has one. (3) Superman: Ride of Steel's airtime hill out of the first helix is insane and is one of my favorite moments on any coaster, the bunny hills on the trip back to the station are awesome too. I actually prefer this coaster over several other Intamin coasters despite its less extreme layout. (4) Wild One is an above average wood coaster, but as with all woodies it all depends on how recently it's been re-tract or how well it's maintained. (5) Joker's Jinx, of course, is just Flight of Fear without the building, which I actually prefer, I'd rather see where I'm going so I can shift appropriately. Plus there is no mid-course break run, which is a huge plus. (6) Ragin' Cajun's first half is a bit blah, but the second half has an incredible amount of spin that will leave you regathering your equilibrium on the break run. (7) Skull Mountain, before it was removed, was a hidden gem, a flume ride that I really enjoyed, which is rare for me, I couldn't refuse the chance to ride a flume ride with an air time hill. (8) Not sure if still there or not, but they had a cow themed, break dance type ride that was a fun flat ride. (9) Their flat ride collection isn't fantastic, but has greatly improved since my first visit in 2010. (10) I once stopped and watched a show in the park, it was so terribly bad that it was borderline great. How many Western shows are you going to see where some of the actors are dressed more like Pirates than they are Cowboys?  I'm talking eye patches, puffy shirts, and swords versus Cowboy hats/ boots, vests, chaps and guns. Plus with the mix of Karate, Kung Fu, MMA and Pro Wrestling moves included in the fight scenes, it was a once in a lifetime experience that Disney or Dollywood will never be able to match. I know this sounds made up, but I swear it happened.

Cons:

(1) The load times and dispatches are on the slow side, I use to think they were the worst of any amusement park, then I visited La Ronde and I wished I was at SFA. Unfortunately, they also often only run 1 train operations, but it's not that big of a deal since it is rarely busy. (2) I've never rode Apocalypse at SFA, but I did ride it at SFGAm (Iron Wolf) and it was one of the worst coasters I've ever been on, my jaw hurt for 3 days after I rode it, so I refuse to ever get on it again. (3) Mind Bender is likely the worst SLC of the 11 I've been on, not that any of them are great or even good. Thunderhawk at Michigan Adventure is probably the best, but that's not saying much. (4) Roar, I've rode it with both train versions and it has always been shaky and rough. (5) Batwing is not as smooth as Firehawk, but I'm hardly a fan of Vekoma lie to fly coasters, but at least they're not Zamperela Volrare models. (6) The games manager is awful. My friend once won $1,000 worth of Apple products for $50 and he was none to pleased. Our next visit, over a year later he won a 60-70" TV, I don't really remember the size, at ring toss for a small amount of cash. The game manager then forbid him for winning another TV at a completely different game. Basically they changed the park prize rules on the spot to keep him from winning again.

Things I can't comment on:

(1) The food or food service, I very rarely eat at an amusement parks, if I'm going to travel I'm going to experience the local cuisines (It's Crab cakes when in Maryland)  or highly ranked yelp restaurants in the area. Unless we're trying to visit BGW, KD and SFA in the same day, then it's usually fast food we can eat in the car.  (2) The water park, unless I'm at Holiday World, I don't go to them. (3) The traffic, I've never had any problems from where I usually stay (Greenbelt, MD), but DC/Baltimore has some of the worst traffic jams I have ever seen. It also helps that they don't open until 11 a.m., so the morning rush is typically over. (4) Unruly guest or line cutters, I can't say I've seen it be any worse at this park as compared to the others I've visited.

I sometimes wonder if some of the bad reviews I read are based on the fact that several of the employees and park guest are African Americans. I don't know this for fact or accusing people I don't know of racism, but I have personally have never had a bad experience with any park guest or employees.

• Like 1