Jump to content
trevRN

Official looking men between The Racers

Recommended Posts

Okay, so I couldn't come up with a proper title for this, but I was at Kings Island this past Saturday (June 2, 2018). Towards the middle of the afternoon, I was on WindSeeker, and I noticed that there was a group of people standing in the grass between The Racers where the two tracks split. One man was taking pictures toward The Racers facing in the direction of the station, another person looked like they was carrying one of those orange tripod things, people use when surveying land, and then another I'm assuming a park manager or something just standing there with papers. Did anyone else see these people? Speculations on what it could be? Possible RMC conversion of The Racers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trevRN said:

Okay, so I couldn't come up with a proper title for this, but I was at Kings Island this past Saturday (June 2, 2018). Towards the middle of the afternoon, I was on WindSeeker, and I noticed that there was a group of people standing in the grass between The Racers where the two tracks split. One man was taking pictures toward The Racers facing in the direction of the station, another person looked like they was carrying one of those orange tripod things, people use when surveying land, and then another I'm assuming a park manager or something just standing there with papers. Did anyone else see these people? Speculations on what it could be? Possible RMC conversion of The Racers?

Yes, well, there’s a few things to note. When surveying it is always important to take photo of the sight lines just Incase there are any potential obstructions. Case in point, I had a two day experience where the first day the site was absolutely clear, second day the site was covered for College Game Day broadcast. However with any surveying project, you need some base point or reference point to refer elevations to. The base point is usually where someone sets up their tripod, focuses the laser on the base marker and starts surveying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope it's not an RMC conversion. That ride still gets good ridership. Would love to see a GCI retrack of it though, maybe reprofiling by Martin and Vleminckx and some Millennium Flyer trains like Wildcat at Lake Compounce or Ghostrider at Knotts. The ACE Landmark plaque is back outside the entrance to the ride, so hopefully it's not the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oscars Wacky Taxi, Switchback, Roar-O-Saurus, and Zippin Pippin are all recent builds by the Gravity Group in the US.  Ravine Flyer II is 10 years old this year.  There is a chance I missed something as well.

But I am not aware of any relationship between Gravity Group and Cedar Fair so I doubt we would see them working on The Racer.

I am leaning towards something interacting with The Racer, or maybe even just a lighting package, or painting the coaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure I know who they were.  If I am correct, then no, they had nothing to do with a new coaster.

They were taking pictures... that later got posted to FB and a website...

One was there for purposes related to another attraction at the park.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kenban said:

But I am not aware of any relationship between Gravity Group and Cedar Fair

As far as I know, the only CF coaster they've touched is the late Rebel Yell. I'd say Cedar Fair has a stronger relationship with GCI at the moment as they've been the go-to for wooden coasters for over a decade now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kenban said:

Oscars Wacky Taxi, Switchback, Roar-O-Saurus, and Zippin Pippin are all recent builds by the Gravity Group in the US.  Ravine Flyer II is 10 years old this year.  There is a chance I missed something as well.

But I am not aware of any relationship between Gravity Group and Cedar Fair so I doubt we would see them working on The Racer.

I am leaning towards something interacting with The Racer, or maybe even just a lighting package, or painting the coaster.

Gravity Group redid Thunderhawk at Dorney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if Fred Grubb was here because Rocky Mountain Construction has been traditionally retracking The Racer? Either way, it wouldn't make much sense to close the ride shortly after it got a good amount of retracking. Still hoping for a Ghostrider style treatment if any changes are being made to the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

What if Fred Grubb was here because Rocky Mountain Construction has been traditionally retracking The Racer? Either way, it wouldn't make much sense to close the ride shortly after it got a good amount of retracking. Still hoping for a Ghostrider style treatment if any changes are being made to the ride.

Carowinds had spent quite a bit of time, effort and money fixing up Thunder Road.  And then they tore it down to make room for their Carolina Harbor water park expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

Carowinds had spent quite a bit of time, effort and money fixing up Thunder Road.  And then they tore it down to make room for their Carolina Harbor water park expansion.

Thunder Road had major structural problems due to the wood structure being unprotected and untreated for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 1:23 PM, Tera Ryzing said:

What has gravity group done in the states the last decade besides a small woodie for fun spot.

Wooden Warrior @ Quassy, Switchback @ ZDTs, Ravine Flyer II @ Waldameer, Roar-O-Saurus @ Story Land, Oscars Wacky Taxi @ Sesame Place, as well as various other retracks. They appear to be focusing on family & unique rides, rather than the massive rides. I almost wonder if the age of Mega Wooden Coasters is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Well I noticed that one side of racer was smoother than the other side so maybe they're planning on closing one side and re-tracking that side for next year to make it smoother. It's still a fun ride to ride, but yes it needs a paint job badly. Someone also mentioned Firehawk needs some love as well, so I would love to see them repaint that as well. If Kings Island took care of those two roller-coasters in the off-season, I wouldn't care if we get something new or not for 2019. I know that sounds crazy, but anybody else agree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Coaster_Net video regarding this topic. They mentioned officials from a company the works on lighting packages walking around The Racer. I forget the company's name, but there may be a restoration effort in progress for the ride. It's worth noting that most RMC conversions have the footings on the old ride marked with spray paint to mark which supports to remove. None of that is seen on Racer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for two posts in a row, but doesn't Rocky Mountain Construction do traditional wooden coaster maintenance as well? In fact, their Topper Track technology, and eventually the I-box track, were developed because there were sections of roller coaster track that kept having to be replaced. I'm not saying The Racer is getting Topper Track,  I hope not at least, but with Fred Grubb possibly being here, could it be possible that he was looking at the ride to replace the old track with new wood for a 2019 restoration project?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×