Kings Dominion Soak City: Tornado being removed

On 6/11/2018 at 9:06 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

@Tera Ryzing how did your wife like 305? Did she grey out? Does she still like 325 better?

She didnt regain vision till going over the airtime hill under the drop on every ride.  Front, back, or middle.  She rides fury in a month.  She is wanting to go to hershey to ride skyrush.  She likes an airtime coaster better though.  Out of the traditional hypers she has been on which is magnum, Diamondback, and apollo her favorite was Diamondback till she rode supes at SFA.  She prefers i305 over millenium as far as gigas.  I afraid she will probably like fury the best.  Her favorite ride at kd was twisted timbers.  She thought the ride would be like Mystic Timbers due to all the similar theming but realized it was different on the drop and especially over the 3 consecutive air time hills where she felt she was being ejected.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:48 PM, Tera Ryzing said:

Multiple attractions down.  Looks like jaws took a bite out of this ride?  What's the deal with this park?  Operations all around in every department is a complete joke.

20180609_151157.jpg

On 6/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, RollerNut said:

The slide pictured is being removed following an accident and investigation. 

I don’t think that’s true. They’d close all of them in the chain if that was the case. Also, it’s listed for sale.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:43 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I don’t think that’s true. They’d close all of them in the chain if that was the case. Also, it’s listed for sale.

If they sell it then atleast the one slide section pictured will need replaced. 

Which part of my statement isn’t true? I didn’t say it is being removed because of the investigation just that there was one.

Cedar Fair also removed the one at Knotts, what other Cedar Fair park’s have this type of slide, KI is the lasting remaining one I can remember at the moment. 

Late to the party here, but I think multiple factors played into the removal of KD's Tornado.

1st: It's placement in the very front of Soak City. It's right along the pathway that connects SC to the park which (IMO) makes for an odd and less than desirable visual appeal.

2nd: Doesn't have a raft lift. Rafts must be carried up the slide tower by the guest unlike KI's which has a lift.

3rd: The accident last summer. The severity of the accident didn't help but falling out of the rafts seems to be a common problem across many installations of this slide model. The nearly vertical oscillations along with the bumps from opposite water flows at the bottom of the funnel make it very easy to fall out of the raft and bash your head on the slide if you don't firmly grasp the handles or if you lean backwards. 

• Like 4

On 6/15/2018 at 10:35 PM, RollerNut said:

If they sell it then atleast the one slide section pictured will need replaced. 

Which part of my statement isn’t true? I didn’t say it is being removed because of the investigation just that there was one.

Cedar Fair also removed the one at Knotts, what other Cedar Fair park’s have this type of slide, KI is the lasting remaining one I can remember at the moment. 

I don’t think that the correlation = causation. There may be an investigation, but I don’t think that’s cause for removal. If anything it might be considered an admission of guilt. I also stand by what I said above too - if it was removed because of litigation the others in the chain would very likely be closed too.

20 hours ago, malem said:

Shockwave was also listed for sale when its removal was announced. There was no buyer, so it was (unfortunately) demolished and scrapped.

Looking at the photos, it doesn't appear that this slide is being saved.

As was King Cobra. I think they were trying to sell it for parts and/or scrap.