Patron injured on Twisted Timbers from flying cell phone

After being at kings dominion over the weekend, I have to say that the employees there are the most un-engaged staff I have seen in a while.  That said the cell phone was in a pocket, the woman wants KD to do more to prevent these things.  What is KD supposed to do, pat people down at the entrance?

I don’t necessarily agree with it but that is what some other parks are starting to do and unfortunately I fear that is the direction this whole issue is taking.  My unscientific observation is the problem is just getting worse and is just a matter of time before people start getting gravely hurt more frequently.  

Eventually parks are going to have to spend more on enforcement or convenience solutions such as that bar code ride bag mini-Skyride concept system I saw someone post on here a year or so ago.   

Who knows, maybe the laws and courts will come down on the side that it is a individual versus individual issue and the parks have no responsibility for ensuring guests do not bring loose articles on the rides.  I doubt it though.  

I have said this before, but does a retweet by a CF park like Kings Island of a patron selfie post on a coaster that someone posted imply that CF is okay with cameras out on the ride despite the announcement and postings?  Or simply spend 10 minutes next to a lift hill on a coaster and hear the ride op over the speakers inform the patron to put away the cell phone and they do not put it away and the ride is not stopped and the patron continues with the video.  I am sure an attorney would make good use of that argument when a suit is filed at some point for a flying camera disfiguring someone.   Otherwise why have the rule if it isn't enforced?

Now I realize that according to the offender, he claims he forgot to zipper his pocket.  Why wasn't policy to keep everyone on that train "captive" for witness statements and stuff.  I cannot believe nobody held on to that phone to get offenders name and simply gave it back and let him continue with his day... 

But as we have seen in the industry, real change only seems to happen after an event and lawsuit.  I would expect in the upcoming weeks to see a stronger enforcement of the phone policy.  One questions what they will do at rides like Banshee and Mystic where I have seen them physically hand something back to the patron (cell phones, glasses, etc.) to hold in their hand while they ride the ride - that is a recipe for disaster - I suspect we will see those patrons not allowed to ride now..  I have seen plenty of people holding cell phones on Mystic - not taking photos, but holding onto them because they had no place to put it.  Do we see metal detectors at ride entrance...  Will this be spread to all coasters... Time will tell...

And to those that have posted that any object is moving with coaster and won't really hurt anyone riding same train forgets about air resistance and once object leaves person it becomes a projectile - just look at that forehead...

Unfortunately, patrons totally tune out ride ops, or any other announcement (looking at you smokers not in designated area as the announcement is made).  Spend a few minutes at Twisted Timbers or Steel Vengeance and watch how many people pull down their lap bar despite repeated attempts told not to.  Granted for whatever reason that doesn't happen at Steel Vengeance as often as it does on Twisted Timbers.

• Like 3

I would hope she would sue for damages for whos ever phone that was.  I only take my cell phone in the park and it always is left with a non rider or is in a zipped up pocket.  With passes being on Apple wallet now I dont even need to take my wallet into the park with me anymore.  I see ride ops at KI get on the PA system while a train is going up the lift to tell riders to put their phones away and the riders do not listen.  No further action was taken by the park either.  Start kicking these people out and keeping us safe. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

It's easy to not realize your pocket is not zipped.

I check my zippers multiple times before a ride. I check them in line, when I'm next in line, when I sit down, and often again on the lift hill. If your zipper is not zipped, that's purely your own fault for not checking to be sure.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

This is why you follow the rules as a guest.

Also, this is why it shouldn’t be play time on the mic as an operator. You have a responsibility to prevent things like this and you can’t have everyone in the station tuning you out.

http://m.nbc12.com/story/38419337/woman-injured-by-flying-cell-phone-on-roller-coaster

The playtime comments are getting old Ryan.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

That said the cell phone was in a pocket, the woman wants KD to do more to prevent these things.  What is KD supposed to do, pat people down at the entrance?

I can't believe I'm saying this (;)), but I actually agree with Tera Ryzing on this one. I'm not sure how a cell phone in a pocket is something the ride operators, spieling or not, could have done something about. It sounds pretty established that the phone was in his pocket, not in his hand.

• Like 4

For me, the most disturbing part of the story is that the offending rider simply walked away without identifying himself to the victim or the park. To injure someone and then not take responsibility is cowardice and wrong.

Hopefully he's found and cited for his failure to follow the ride's safety instructions.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I can't believe I'm saying this (;)), but I actually agree with Tera Ryzing on this one. I'm not sure how a cell phone in a pocket is something the ride operators, spieling or not, could have done something about. It sounds pretty established that the phone was in his pocket, not in his hand.

And it's something they'll never be able to prove.

99% of people that visit the park just leave their phone, keys, and wallet in their pockets, unsecured. 

From the 2017 Guest Assistance Guide:

"Loose articles including cell phones, pagers, hats, cameras, stuffed animals, purses, backpacks, umbrellas, beverage containers, personal entertainment devices, etc. Items must be safely secured in cargo pockets, a waist pack, in a bin on the ride platform, left in a locker, or with a non-rider."

Funny they mention waist pack, because a lot of people have mentioned that they've been asked to remove theirs.

• Like 2

Ride operators can't check for unsecured articles in everyone's pockets. I have seen no indication that the crew did anything wrong in this incident.

I fail to see how the fact that one of the operators happened to be spieling on the mic has anything to do with this whatsoever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, malem said:

Ride operators can't check for unsecured articles in everyone's pockets. I have seen no indication that the crew did anything wrong in this incident.

I fail to see how the fact that one of the operators happened to be spieling on the mic has anything to do with this whatsoever.

Oh no, I'm not trying to say its the fault of the operators at all, the fault is 100% on the individual with the phone. I'm just saying that if the operators were joking around on the PA instead of giving instructions on loose articles, the fault could be on them. There have been a few times when I've gone to parks where the associates don't even ask riders to secure loose articles and instead joke around on the mic. After an op/associate says to secure loose articles, the riders should be responsible if their items fall out of their pockets.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, malem said:

No one said it was either the ride ops’ faults or that spieling was directly correlated.

If you read my original post, you will see that I implied that the safety of the guests is shared: the ride ops give the rules and the guests must comply. The only way that spieling comes into play is the fact that everyone in the station is using everything in their being to tune out what’s said over the mics when they treat being on the mic as play time.  So what if they did tell them to put their phone away (I don’t believe for a second that it was secured) and they honestly didn’t hear them because they were conditioned to tune out what’s being said?  It’s simply a theory.

• Like 7

I got into an altercation with an idiot at SFGAM recently over a camera in use on a ride.

He rode Goliath directly in front of me, while attempting to video the entire ride with his hands stretched in the air.  Because he was an idiot... he couldn't control his arms... so they flailed backwards into my face the entire ride.  I spent the entire time dodging the possibility of him letting go and my getting hit with his cell. I cant tell you anything about the ride except that I had this dummy being negligent the entire time.

He had pulled the cell out and begun filming BEFORE we left the station... I even yelled for him to put it away going up the lift - but he "couldnt" hear me due to the loud lift I guess.  (Oh brother)  Ride ops clearly saw it and turned a blind eye.

When we hit the final brakes, I grabbed the hood of his sweatshirt and tugged it as hard as I could to get his attention.  I then had to parent the punk... who of course called me every name in the book, on why what he did was moronic.  When we reached the station, I promptly told the ride ops, who did nothing - literally NOTHING. 

My opinion is, it is because of their age and attitude, they either dont care - or are too afraid to deal with the rule breakers.

Now, if I (who avoids conflict, and is about as non-confrontational as they come) was able to get that agitated, its a wonder more parks dont often have more altercations far worse.  Ambivalence to the safety of others is a plague affecting parks.  And it needs addressed or more accidents of this type will continue to occur.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

No one said it was either the ride ops’ faults or that spieling was directly correlated.

If you read my original post, you will see that I implied that the safety of the guests is shared: the ride ops give the rules and the guests must comply. The only way that spieling comes into play is the fact that everyone in the station is using everything in their being to tune out what’s said over the mics when they treat being on the mic as play time.  So what if they did tell them to put their phone away (I don’t believe for a second that it was secured) and they honestly didn’t hear them because they were conditioned to tune out what’s being said?  It’s simply a theory.

And how many times do we hear a ride op over the speaker say "if you are sitting on a handrail please get down".  They have to repeat several times because nobody pays attention.

• Like 3

I got into an altercation with an idiot at SFGAM recently over a camera in use on a ride.
He rode Goliath directly in front of me, while attempting to video the entire ride with his hands stretched in the air.  Because he was an idiot... he couldn't control his arms... so they flailed backwards into my face the entire ride.  I spent the entire time dodging the possibility of him letting go and my getting hit with his cell. I cant tell you anything about the ride except that I had this dummy being negligent the entire time.
He had pulled the cell out and begun filming BEFORE we left the station... I even yelled for him to put it away going up the lift - but he "couldnt" hear me due to the loud lift I guess.  (Oh brother)  Ride ops clearly saw it and turned a blind eye.
When we hit the final brakes, I grabbed the hood of his sweatshirt and tugged it as hard as I could to get his attention.  I then had to parent the punk... who of course called me every name in the book, on why what he did was moronic.  When we reached the station, I promptly told the ride ops, who did nothing - literally NOTHING. 
My opinion is, it is because of their age and attitude, they either dont care - or are too afraid to deal with the rule breakers.
Now, if I (who avoids conflict, and is about as non-confrontational as they come) was able to get that agitated, its a wonder more parks dont often have more altercations far worse.  Ambivalence to the safety of others is a plague affecting parks.  And it needs addressed or more accidents of this type will continue to occur.

From my experience with six flags parks, a lot of ride ops are unengaged and aren’t really aware of what’s going on around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

^exactly what I have been saying for years - and the smile on their face is probably because they were being told to put it away when the photo was being taken...oh wait we know people never listen...

It would probably never happen, but enough injuries and maybe it will, but anyone posting illegal pics/videos they took should have their pass revoked.

Any good attorney will scour CF social media and other posts to prove their argument that CF allows and encourages said behavior...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

^exactly what I have been saying for years - and the smile on their face is probably because they were being told to put it away when the photo was being taken...oh wait we know people never listen...

It would probably never happen, but enough injuries and maybe it will, but anyone posting illegal pics/videos they took should have their pass revoked.

Any good attorney will scour CF social media and other posts to prove their argument that CF allows and encourages said behavior...

Yep. You make an excellent point. Regardless of what some might claim, retweets and likes are in fact endorsements. 

I do not the circumstances, but this is an incredibly stooge-like move, especially given what’s happening within their own chain. 100% inexcusable.

**Also, I want to correct my original statement. I stated that @KingsIslandPR liked the status. This was mentioned in error. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shaggy said:

This is why I never engage with anyone when they are breaking the park rules.  

23 hours ago, teenageninja said:

The playtime comments are getting old Ryan.  

It's the definition of wanting to have your cake and eat it too- wanting to go to the park constantly but also complaining about every little thing, instead of not going somewhere that clearly upsets them so much like a normal person.

See also: any thread having to do with food.

24 minutes ago, CedarPointer said:

It's the definition of wanting to have your cake and eat it too- wanting to go to the park constantly but also complaining about every little thing, instead of not going somewhere that clearly upsets them so much like a normal person.

See also: any thread having to do with food.

Sorry. I refuse to blindly praise people who aren’t doing their jobs. Like I said, some - not all - fall under these categories. Now people are getting injured. Great job. 

Sorry, I critique. I’m praise when praise needs to be given, I claim foul when foul should be claimed. I’m an observer, not a fanboi like some.

• Like 11

I think it will come down to making it an assault charge which is a felony if an item on you comes loose during a ride and hits someone. Maybe after someone is charged with a felony and incarcerated or heavily fined that these people will wake up. Right now Ride ops just kinda ignore it. All I’ve heard is put the phone away. They should be contacting security right away. No verbal warning should be given since there are signs that are warnings.

In fact someone on this forum was struck with a phone just the other day. It’s getting ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think nothing is done (other than not having staff to do it) because they don't want negative FB reviews of someone saying their pass was revoked because they had their phone out.  Personally I think the bad press of a serious injury or death is worse, but until such event happens, countless selfies and videos will continue to be posted from on rides...

Metal detectors at each ride will end up being the solution if it isn't got under control by other means...

• Like 1