Patron injured on Twisted Timbers from flying cell phone

Waiting to board Firehawk I saw a train come back with three different people who had cell phones out and that’s a single train which can only hold 24 people.  That’s assuming I did not miss any as well.  I hate riding coasters at Universal Orlando due to the metal detectors.  I have no desire to put every little thing which I have in my pockets in lockers and I really want to use my cell phone in the line while I wait.  But it feels like something is going to have to change, either pulling people off rides, leaving them in the restraints while you call security when a ride is over etc.  I really do not want metal detectors but I would not be surprised to see them at some point in the future at more parks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I line for Diamondback Saturday and the train stopped on the lift hill.  A supervisor went out to the stopped train around row 10 and came back in a bit.  I figured it was for a cell phone out.  I asked once I was boarded and she told me that the moron had lit a cigarette on the way up.  Needless to say, I was more that a little blown away

• Haha 2

That's insane!  

We showed up around 7pm Saturday,  and went to get our fastlane and a guy in front of us was getting his season fastlane and looked just like you... he was solo.. dont know if it was you are not?

On 6/13/2018 at 11:40 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

This is why you follow the rules as a guest.

Also, this is why it shouldn’t be play time on the mic as an operator. You have a responsibility to prevent things like this and you can’t have everyone in the station tuning you out.

http://m.nbc12.com/story/38419337/woman-injured-by-flying-cell-phone-on-roller-coaster

And that is why I always have never disobeyed park rules.

Last Monday, I went to Kings Island, hopped on WindSeeker. Pretty normal, until I was about a good 100 ft. in the air when I notice Vortex is stopped. Turns out, some guy thought he could be smart and take a camera on the ride. Nope. I hate people who do that, if you want a POV, go to their YouTube channel. Only do this with PERMISSION.

• Like 2

While at Kings Dominion to see friends thought I would share a big difference between KI and KD regarding bags.  Take a look at this picture - although they have lockers, KD is encouraging folks to just put their bags on the entry fence and they are nice enough to provide a security guard to watch over the bags lol.  Would never see this at KI...When I asked a security guard they were like its just simple southern hospitality.  It has been that way all year with bags BTW...

Since the cell phone incident they are watching more - if you go into line with one out they will generally stop you.  If you are on the top platform past separator and pull phone out they will come to you and make you put it in a zippered pocket or leave line...not real consistent yet in enforcement but better than nothing and probably a sign of things to come...

Screenshot_2018-07-18-19-22-19.png

• Like 2

While at Kings Dominion to see friends thought I would share a big difference between KI and KD regarding bags.  Take a look at this picture - although they have lockers, KD is encouraging folks to just put their bags on the entry fence and they are nice enough to provide a security guard to watch over the bags.  Would never see this at KI...When I asked a security guard they were like its just simple southern hospitality.  It has been that way all year with bags BTW...
Since the cell phone incident they are watching more - if you go into line with one out they will generally stop you.  If you are on the top platform past separator and pull phone out they will come to you and make you put it in a zippered pocket or leave line...not real consistent yet in enforcement but better than nothing and probably a sign of things to come...
Screenshot_2018-07-18-19-22-19.thumb.png.973d7b0d7a8c3301ef6f1c98cdb66123.png
And I'm glad we won't see that at KI. Looks terrible. And since the park posts a security guard there, they assume liability.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well I was being a little sarcastic (I think), but not too far off.  Earlier in the day while waiting for a break at the front of the line to ask questions I heard the security guard there at the time tell a group of teen girls "go hang your bags on the fence nobody will steal them while I'm here".  When nobody was at the entrance I mentioned to the security guard and the ride op that their sister park KI would never allow that and in fact I have seen several times at KI where kids have tried to hide their bags and then watch security take them up to lost and found lol.  They just shook their heads that KI would do that.  Nobody I talked to saw the problem with that.   One of them told me just their presence was a deterrent from someone stealing a bag.  What ride does KI have a security guard at the entrance all day on a typical weekday?  Granted I wasn't at the ride all day, but at the times I rode or went by, it was the guard telling people to hang them on the fence not the ride op.  The poor kid working the lockers looked like the Maytag repair man lol (see if anyone gets that). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm beginning to wonder if the "no loose article" policy played a role in this injury.  Without bins, people are forced to buy a locker or risk putting their phones in a less-than-secure pocket.  

Also I want to point out that, although this is a little unsightly, at least it's something.

The vast majority of parks in the US and abroad have far more reasonable accommodations for loose articles than making you buy a locker each time.  Even Cedar Point has a roaming locker option.  Many parks have free lockers associated with the rides.  In Europe they often have pouches in front of each seat, kind of like The Crypt did.  I honestly think that it might hurt spending more than help with the locker charges - even though it's only $1.  I think that the crowd of people who opt not to purchase things or play games simply because they don't want to have to get a locker for their purchased item or game prize far outweighs the $1 that some decide to spend.  Don't forget - spending is down in addition to attendance.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the "no loose article" policy played a role in this injury.  Without bins, people are forced to buy a locker or risk putting their phones in a less-than-secure pocket.  

Also I want to point out that, although this is a little unsightly, at least it's something.

The vast majority of parks in the US and abroad have far more reasonable accommodations for loose articles than making you buy a locker each time.  Even Cedar Point has a roaming locker option.  Many parks have free lockers associated with the rides.  In Europe they often have pouches in front of each seat, kind of like The Crypt did.  I honestly think that it might hurt spending more than help with the locker charges - even though it's only $1.  I think that the crowd of people who opt not to purchase things or play games simply because they don't want to have to get a locker for their purchased item or game prize far outweighs the $1 that some decide to spend.  Don't forget - spending is down in addition to attendance.  

I also believe the "no loose article" policy is resulting in the unintended consequences phenomenon.  In addition to the reasons above, there are numbers of people that based on comments they read on social media have decided to not visit the parks due to the locker rental policy...

Here is a fun fact showing the phenomenon of unintended consequences of implementing something intended to fix a problem.  In Ohio there have been more deaths/accidents attributed to texting while driving since the law went into effect banning driving while texting.  Why is that - before the law, people would text with both arms on top of the steering wheel texting up there where they had peripheral vision around them - so they were still distracted driving but had some benefit of peripheral vision.  Now that the law is in effect, people are now texting with the phone in their lap so other drivers and police cannot see their phone.  Once they did that the peripheral vision is now no longer the road...Something to think about!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
According to this dudes Instagram story, the park reached out to them and asked kindly to delete them. He didnt take it well and didn't delete it. Then complained about it. Classy.

I say the coaster community should spam his social media pages with links to all the accidents involving cell phones. Better yet, maybe the sheriff department should make a visit across the street and hand him a nice little ticket and a summons to appear in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, JubJester said:

According to this dudes Instagram story, the park reached out to them and asked kindly to delete them. He didnt take it well and didn't delete it. Then complained about it. Classy.

They should go after him. He mocked the park, and in the process, brought up some highly controversial matters.93DD42D6-8581-4AF4-97B7-284D2371B469.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

I say the coaster community should spam his social media pages with links to all the accidents involving cell phones. Better yet, maybe the sheriff department should make a visit across the street and hand him a nice little ticket and a summons to appear in court.

How do you get this from anything I'm saying? That's not going to happen. You've been a bit of a negative Nancy lately. 

@gforce1994 There's nothing the park can do at this point (to my knowledge).

5 minutes ago, JubJester said:

How do you get this from anything I'm saying? That's not going to happen.

You've been a bit of a negative Nancy lately. 

@gforce1994 There's nothing the park can do at this point.

You don’t think they can serve up a summons when he’s in town for a tennis tournament? Pun wasn’t intended.

@JubJester, @Oldschool75 is right. He can tell you there’s already been phone incidents on rides, as a member of this forum was hit hard by a phone on a ride this year.

• Like 1

How do you get this from anything I'm saying? That's not going to happen. You've been a bit of a negative Nancy lately. 

So I’m being a negative Nancy by worrying about the safety of others? I will call out anyone who breaks the rules or law. They are there for a reason. I think you may need to do a self evaluation if you think caring about people is being negative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

Well, this is a problem since people are now going to whip out their cell phones and try to imitate Andy Murray, and in the process people are going to get hurt by loose phones.

It's disheartening that this is coming from high-profile individuals. Hopefully they come to their senses and remove the posts.

When discussing illegal on-ride pictures, linking to the source is better than posting screenshots. We don't want anyone assuming such things originated on KIC.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, malem said:

It's disheartening that this is coming from high-profile individuals. Hopefully they come to their senses and remove the posts.

When discussing illegal on-ride pictures, linking to the source is better than posting screenshots. We don't want anyone assuming such things originated on KIC.