Dorney and Kings Dominion

Besides the coasters at Dorney, the whip is a lot of fun. It's a classic Mangels version and is somewhat rare. Thunder Creek Mountain is also a different type of log flume that is built on a hill. A lot of people seem to like Demon Drop, especially if they have memories of riding it at Cedar Point (I'm not a fan because of how painful some parts of the ride are). There is also the Zephyr train from the 1930's that saved the park from closing during the Great Depression that is unlike most amusement park trains.

• Like 1

If you're going in the near future, Volcano is indeed down for extended maintenance.

I really like Dorney Park, but unless you plan to do Wildwater Kingdom, two days might be too much. Most of the crowd tends to go to the waterpark, so the dry park typically doesn't get long lines. Many people consider it to be a half-day park.

If you get done early and need something to do in the area, there are many other great parks within a reasonable drive from Dorney. Six Flags Great Adventure and Hersheypark to name two.

• Like 2

All in all I wouldn't recommend Dorney. The only coaster worth anything is Steel Force, and Magnum at Cedar Point is the same thing. The little things made a big difference. Unenthusiastic ride ops, taped welcomes on rides, non-automatic gates(dumb), and line jumping was rampant. I also saw a dude with his phone out on Thunderhawk,  videotaping on ride,  back at the station,  the ride op saw him and shrugged. And when have you ever seen this at Kings Island? Most trash cans were like this all day.

Hopefully Kings dominion will be better. 

IMAG0315.jpg

• Like 1

I visited Dorney Park back on Fourth of July Weekend in 2014 and our group was able to hit all of the coasters by 1:00pm. From there, we went to NJFTP and spent the rest of the day.

Steel Force is a good ride, probably the best coaster in the park other than Talon or Hydra (the roll coming out of the station is hard to beat)

I got a rain ride on Steel Force and I thought that was painful until I got a rain ride on Millennium Force last month in the front row. Doesn't feel good at 93 miles per hour!

Got to KD at 630pm. Rode Grizzly, Twisted Timbers, WWC, Dominator, Berzerker, Crypt twice, FOF,  Anaconda, and Intimidator 305 all before closing. Breath of fresh air compared to Dorney. And,  I've been wanting to ride the Crypt since the one at KI was neutered.we will hit everything else tomorrow. 

Went to Dorney earlier this month... It'd never be a vacation priority for me, but it was a nice park to visit for a day... Thought the food at the BBQ place in their water park was pretty good...

Shame about Volcano being down... Absolutely loved I-305 and Volcano when I went last year... Sad I missed Twisted Timbers, but I won't be getting back that way until 2021 at the earliest :(

I had a great time at Dorney Park and Kings Dominion.  Dorney has a great but small coaster collection.  Staff was OK.  Park was clean and pretty.  It's also quick to get in and get out of.  

Kings Dominion was truly a stellar park for me.  Beautiful park.  Operations were great.  Staff was one of the best I have ever seen.  A couple of times that I couldn't find things, staff members literally stopped what they were doing and walked me to the attraction I was looking for.  I can't wait to go back.

1 hour ago, Roarbot said:

Both trains were running last night. We were stuck on the last brake run for about 10 minutes. Mechanic had to push us to the station. Totally worth it though,  better than steel vengeance. 

It is very close to SV for me. SV gets this win by just a point or two.