Vortex speed

danthemememan

Welcome to KIC!

If you're watching a really old POV, you might need to consider the original framerate. When videos are converted from one format to another, they are sometimes slightly sped up or slowed down to adjust for the output type. An example is when a film is converted into a NTSC/ATSC format for TV.

Mistakes when digitizing the video or converting for YouTube can result in more significant errors. If a video recorded at 29.97fps is being played at 24fps, for example, it would seem 20% slower.

• Like 3

Probably what Malem said - also it could be slowed down for promotional reasons. They may have slowed down the footage for something as simply as being able to see it better.

Rides may speed up or slow down with age and other factors, but typically not to the point where you’d notice them on film.

You could slow it down with a different type of wheel I'd imagine (though I'm not sure how much you could alter the speed).  Likely its the reason above, or just your perception.  People have often said the same thing about The Beast, but somewhere there was a side by side comparison of an early (like 70's early) POV and a more recent one (I want to say in the last 5-10 years) and The Beast hit different markers on the track at very similar times in the POV.

There's also a psychological factor into this as well.  When you're on a coaster, your adrenal glands are going berserk, which can affect the way your senses pick up stimuli and the way your brain interprets things.  Add to that the G forces, especially all the positive G's you get on Vortex and the lack of blood in your brain as a result, and you can view things quite differently than reality.   We could be here all day in that discussion alone.    

None of that is at work when you're behind a computer watching a POV.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, medford said:

You could slow it down with a different type of wheel I'd imagine (though I'm not sure how much you could alter the speed).  Likely its the reason above, or just your perception.  People have often said the same thing about The Beast, but somewhere there was a side by side comparison of an early (like 70's early) POV and a more recent one (I want to say in the last 5-10 years) and The Beast hit different markers on the track at very similar times in the POV.

The magnetic trim brakes don't help the cause, instead of them gradually slowing the ride down, they slam on hard on the drop and before the second drop.

• Like 1