Antique Car Tracks

sixohdieselrage

I can't find another thread related to this exactly. But, why in the world does Cedar Point have two Antique Car tracks, but Kings Island have none? Too bad they can't relocate one to KI. :D

Also, I wish we could get Rivertown theming closer to what CP has for Frontiertown. Also, something similar to the Frontier Trail would be nice. 20180619_210956.jpg

• Like 2

KI used to have two - but one rarely ran (I think it was the Les Taxis side, opposing where the DB splashdown is now).

I think your question is a little unfair since it was Paramount who removed the Tiques with almost zero regard for what Cedar Point was doing.  

One thing that I think that most can agree upon is that trading in the Tiques and Flying Eagles for Backlot was ultimately a very poor decision.

• Like 8

Oh, I fully realize that Paramount removed the cars and put Backlot (Italian Stunt Job) in its place. Agreed on it being a horrible decision. I mean, I like Backlot, but it is in a horrible spot. 

Yes, I realize there were two, but not two with one being in a different part of the park, versus right next to each other. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Oh, I fully realize that Paramount removed the cars and put Backlot (Italian Stunt Job) in its place. Agreed on it being a horrible decision. I mean, I like Backlot, but it is in a horrible spot. 

Yes, I realize there were two, but not two with one being in a different part of the park, versus right next to each other. 

I bet most people in the later years never even knew that there were ever two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

KI used to have two - but one rarely ran (I think it was the Les Taxis side, opposing where the DB splashdown is now).

I think your question is a little unfair since it was Paramount who removed the Tiques with almost zero regard for what Cedar Point was doing.  

One thing that I think that most can agree upon is that trading in the Tiques and Flying Eagles for Backlot was ultimately a very poor decision.

It was another short sighted decision by Paramount, who continued to invest at a rate at about 1/4 of what Cedar Point was doing.  They spent a bunch of money on crap that never worked and ended up getting a very mediocre ride in return.

• Like 3

come to think of it- take a look at some of Paramount's additions:

• Action Theater... gone for the most part
  • Son of Beast: terrible layout, overall ride, etc... gone
  • Tomb Raider: excellent addition, de-themed- now gone
  • Scooby's Ghost Coaster: gone
  • Italian Job: meh addition.  still there- special effects never tended to.
  • Scooby Doo and Haunted Mansion: still exists- but far inferior to ride it replaced

They had some successes:

• Nick Universe
  • Delerium
  • Drop Zone
  • Flight of Fear

• Like 4

4 hours ago, teenageninja said:

It was another short sighted decision by Paramount, who continued to invest at a rate at about 1/4 of what Cedar Point was doing.  They spent a bunch of money on crap that never worked and ended up getting a very mediocre ride in return.

You are greatly underestimating how much money Paramount was spending.  For instance Tomb Raider was $20+ million.  Son of Beast was also more than $20 million.  Total spent at both parks over the same period was likely very similar.  But it does feel like Paramount had a very low return on the investment.

• Like 3

It is a shame TR:TR couldn't have been rebranded. But I do feel Cedar Fair has been slacking on the theming of certain rides. See BLSC and AA. Not as bad as Paramount though. Makes you wonder what KI would be now, had it been owned by Cedar Fair and not Paramount. Hopefully not the same fate as Guauga Lake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Makes you wonder what KI would be now, had it been owned by Cedar Fair and not Paramount. Hopefully not the same fate as Guauga Lake.

Ouimet/Zimmerman’s Cedar Fair or Kinzel/Falfas’s Cedar Fair? Your choice would affect my predictions greatly.

15 hours ago, Kenban said:

You are greatly underestimating how much money Paramount was spending.  For instance Tomb Raider was $20+ million.  Son of Beast was also more than $20 million.  Total spent at both parks over the same period was likely very similar.  But it does feel like Paramount had a very low return on the investment.

I'm not sure how accurate that $20 million number is, but if it is indeed true, Kings Islands spent $40M on two attractions that lasted a total of 17 seasons (9 for The Crypt and 8 for Son of Beast (that's a generous number as well.)

Paramount spent a lot of money in the late 90's to early 00's, but look what they got in return, as mentioned above:

• Action Theater... gone for the most part.
  • Son of Beast: terrible layout, overall ride, etc... gone.
  • Tomb Raider: excellent addition, de-themed- now gone.
  • Scooby's Ghost Coaster: gone.
  • Italian Job: meh addition.  still there- special effects never tended to.  Spent a bunch of money on things that never worked right, the "drifting effect" and the "Jackhammering" down the steps.  Instead of stupid gimmicks they could have built a better ride.
  • Scooby Doo and Haunted Mansion: still exists- but far inferior to ride it replaced, guns rarely work correctly.

They had some successes:

• Nick Universe
  • Waterworks/Boomerang Bay 
  • Delirium 
  • Drop Zone
  • Flight of Fear
  • Invertigo - Low capacity.

I imagine if you compare what Cedar Point invested in the time that Paramount owned the park, Cedar Point would be far beyond Kings Island.  

• Like 1

Didn't realize the Antique Cars took up that much land... yeah, you could totally fit a car ride on the outskirts of Backlot, maybe on tgat field behind the Floral Clock.

Also, I'd love to see a map overlay of Antique Cars and Backlot to see how much space each ride takes up (took up).

• Like 4

18 hours ago, KIfan73 said:

Thought I would contribute this pic of the Antique Cars to the discussion from it's last day of operation (IIRC):  Labor Day 2004.

[Image]

Great picture, but your date is a little off. Antique Cars closed on August 15, 2004. if you look carefully at your image, you can see that all the cars have already been removed from the track.

10 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^Also realize there were 2 tracks so it needed that kind of room. 

Note that the second track (accessed from Rivertown) stood dormant for ~6 years. I think it last operated in 1998.

• Like 6

I never had the chance to ride antique cars at ki,but yesterday as I walked past backlot,it looked as if you could see something in the grass that may have been part of the original antique cars track,it’s on the left side of the entrance along the path to the floral clock,can anyone confirm that it is probably still part of track that I saw

• Like 1