Walking/ Exercise route

AnyPancakes

This is probably a dumb topic, but I’m posting it anyway because I’m bored and genuinely curious.  I’m off work for paternity leave until August.  I plan on heading to the park to walk with my son daily and get some exercise/ get out of the house.  The last time my wife gave birth it was winter and my paternity leave became very depressing because we couldn’t be outside.  I’m going to avoid that this time .

Does anyone know how long the route would be if I came in the main gate, walked to and around the SC perimeter, then back around the main park perimeter?

I will also use this opportunity to check out more/all lunch options in the park.

i also wanted to say I am blessed to live 10 minutes from the park and have an employer that gives me the opportunity to bond with my son. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

This is probably a dumb topic, but I’m posting it anyway because I’m bored and genuinely curious.  I’m off work for paternity leave until August.  I plan on heading to the park to walk with my son daily and get some exercise/ get out of the house.  The last time my wife gave birth it was winter and my paternity leave became very depressing because we couldn’t be outside.  I’m going to avoid that this time .

Does anyone know how long the route would be if I came in the main gate, walked to and around the SC perimeter, then back around the main park perimeter?

I will also use this opportunity to check out more/all lunch options in the park.

i also wanted to say I am blessed to live 10 minutes from the park and have an employer that gives me the opportunity to bond with my son. 

Not sure about Soak City, but here is a thread that @whengodsaysgo started.  I got around 1.1 miles inside the park.

https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33494-kimiles-with-whengodsaysgo/&tab=comments#comment-790460

• Thanks 1

First congrats.

I don't know how to do it, but I'm pretty sure that you can figure out distances using Google Maps.  Another option, assuming you have a smart phone is to down load something like Nike+run club (free, or there are many other apps that you can use to track your running, don't need a smart watch for it to work) hit start when you get to the front gate, or out of your car, or wherever, hit pause, then stop when you get to where you want to stop.  If you look at your phone and think "I need more steps" take a turn and figure out a route that gets you the steps you want.

For instance, my soon to be 10 year old kept saying that he wanted to go running with me.  At first I told him "no, I'm going 4 miles today, plus up/down the big hill, that is far too much for you"  but he kept insisting, saying that he'd do it.  While he's a pretty good athlete, and has good speed for his size, distance running isn't his thing (at least it hasn't been to this point); he's gone with me in the past for short runs, but has "petered" out early.  Anyhoo, I figure ok, I'll amend my route and go the 2 miler that I sometimes do, if I have to stop I'll stop and I can always get him back home, then go do "my thing".  Anyways, he kept up for the most part, sometimes he'd get ahead and walk until I meet him, or he'd fall behind and start walking but would catch up in a few.  He struggled to keep a steady pace, but he's managed alright, to the point where he wasn't a hindrance to my goals (actually my pace was  a shade quicker with him yesterday).  Anyhoo, to the point, as we were getting close to being back home and seeing that he was doing a good job, I shot down a couple of side streets that added another 0.6 miles to our run.  I was able to adjust on the fly how far I wanted to go based upon what was happening.  You'll be able to do likewise.

For whatever its worth, I'm not sure if you can track steps if that is your goal thru the nike+ app (perhaps with the watch in sync) but you can track pace, distance, time, etc..  It will save them to your phone so that you can compare them the next time out.  Enjoy.  One word of advice, even though its a newborn, I was once told that my new born had to have shoes on to ride the carousel.  I know why the policy is in place, but its not like that kid was getting up and walking anywhere for several months....  just make sure you have them with you in the stroller or however your transporting that newbie around.

• Thanks 1

MotionX GPS is pretty good app I have been using for years, has various map types and can store multiple tracks plus a ton of features I haven’t used.  Was free when I got it years ago.  

This actually got me thinking that I should run it while on some coasters and see how well it tracks the course at that speed.   In my pocket of course.  :D

• Haha 1

I will use Runkeeper to keep track of how far I go. I’ve been doing that for years. I was just curious if anyone knew what to expect. I also have an app named ski tracks that keeps track of my ski days (vertical feet, speed, distance). That may be fun on a roller coaster. 

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Sounds like a good bonding experience! Get him on a train and carousel ride early. I am curious to know as well. I bet if anyone knows @malem might? 

He’s ridden the train and carousel a few times already!  Trying to start him right. Haha. 

• Like 2

I use the “health” app on my iPhone, and today, making my rounds to hit all the coasters, with the only coaster exceptions being Delirium, WindSeeker, and Boo Blasters, we did 10 miles and nearly 25k steps. We started in Action Zone, rode all the rides there, and then took a left out of there towards Coney Mall, back up through Rivertown, through the Eiffel Tower, and back around again. Then randomly walking about to hit our favorites a second time. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:31 AM, medford said:

One word of advice, even though its a newborn, I was once told that my new born had to have shoes on to ride the carousel.

I forgot about this. I had to cover his feet before we went up the Eiffel Tower. I thought that was funny since he was strapped to me in a carrier. Thanks for the tip. 

I got 3 miles from my car around the park perimeter and then around Soak City and back. 

I haven’t been to SC since I was a kid. It’s huge. I can’t wait to take my family there. 

I haven't kept track of my miles since Coasterstock.  They're all in the health app on my phone. :)  I don't ever go to the park with the intent to walk a certain amount of miles, but just go in and enjoy myself and let the miles take care of themselves.  Yesterday I arrived a little after noon and spent the day with @Magenta Lizard and @Mrs. No Chickens and in ten hours I walked 10.7 miles, and that was with seeing Gravity three times. :) I find it ends up being around a mile an hour depending on what the agenda is.  Saturday of Coasterstock I had my highest mileage, which was right around 17 or so.

I use the Samsung Health app to record my steps in a park. At KI, I usually average about 30k steps (20 mi) per visit, more or less depending on how long I'm there and who I'm hanging out with.

My all time steps record remains at 56519 steps (38.9 miles) at CoasterMania 2016, not including post-midnight steps at that event. I'd like to break it at some point, but it won't be easy.

• Like 1

I believe the only time I broke 40,000 steps was at the second Coasterstock when we had that wild scavenger hunt that took me all over the park something like three times in a half hour :)

Like @whengodsaysgo, I tend to average about a mile an hour when I'm in the park, even though I spend time sitting in all the cirque shows while they're running. I regularly break 30,000 steps when I'm at the park from open until close. 

• Like 2

You guys have me beat by miles! I was thrilled when I did 25,000 at Cedar Point in May. I have to do a lot less, average about 10,000, but my injury from an auto accident is the reason why. I have an off brand fitness tracker but it definitely doesn't see the miles that a normal person does.