Ask Kings Island a Question

IndyGuy4KI

2 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Any chance that Kings Island could start selling those big giant fun size park maps that Cedar Point sells for $1.99? I asked this back in May but want to see If Kings Island has considered it since.

I really hope they do... I'd love to get a KI one framed....

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2018 at 12:09 AM, Gannersdaddy said:

Some people consider Mystic Timbers, Flight of Fear, and Great Pumpkin coaster as "good coasters".  I take it that you do not.  Here are the main reasons (I am sure that others will chime in).

The coasters all have an minimum operating temperature that they need to abide by.  This is dictated by the structure, ride design, and car design.  Typically but not always, Winterfest is below these temperatures.  They have to be at these temperature to start operations.  They can run below this temperature if they are sufficiently warmed up and continue to run.

The annual maintenance is going on the trains right now.  They are taken all of the way down, inspected, cleaned up, and reassembled.  Mystic Timbers and Flight of Fear are down a train currently with these trains being in the shop.  I know smaller parks can do this quicker, but think about all of the coasters with all of the trains / cars on each.  It is quite a bit of work.  Personally, I would rather them do this over the winter months than to take it down in the warm weather when the season is open.

It’s hard to use startup temperatures and annual maintenance as wholeistic reason when Six Flags Great America and Great Adventure have far more rides open with a similar operating schedule and arguably colder climates. 

I think there are two main reasons:

1) The facilities at those parks may be better equipped and staffed to do the maintenance work faster and more silmultaneously than KI.

2) With the event being entertainment-based it’s an unnecessary risk to open and market rides as a “core” attraction when they are very weather dependent. Ultimately, a percentage of people would come for rides and could be disappointed especially in the late season.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, standbyme said:

Watching the TV series “The Great Christmas Light Fight”...made me wonder, does the park have a rough estimate how many lights it takes to create Winterfest? 

(Sorry if I missed the number if it was mentioned somewhere already.)

I believe the number that the park has used is "more than 5 million".  I admit that the lights are impressive.  There are a few areas that I feel could use some work and additional lights (Planet Snoopy and the Twelve Days of Christmas come to mind).

As far as the number of rides goes, I agree with Ryan that the point of Winterfest is more about the overall atmosphere and entertainment than riding rides.  It is not just about riding rides in the cold.  It is the whole park atmosphere that is amazing at Winterfest.  I have been to Winterfest five times this year so far, and have only been on Mystic Timbers twice and zero times on Flight of Fear.  There is just so much to see and do, and it isn`t about the rides.  I give KI huge props to the amount of characters they have out and the live entertainment offerings.  That is part of what makes Winterfest amazing.  I haven`t been to any Six Flags` Holiday in the Park, but I doubt they compare to Kings Island`s Winterfest.

• Like 3

Several years ago KI built a building behind the blackout haunt to house their Winterfest decorations.   Since many decorations are new this year and many are different from last season, what percentage of decorations are leased for the season compared to actually being owned by KI (or CF)?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

Several years ago KI built a building behind the blackout haunt to house their Winterfest decorations.   Since many decorations are new this year and many are different from last season, what percentage of decorations are leased for the season compared to actually being owned by KI (or CF)?

So I’m pretty sure that nearly all of the decorations are owned. Every year some will be scrapped and some will be added - not unlike Haunt. 

The only “exceptions” I can think of are some of the talent is casted by a production company from New York called RWS (Cool Yule and CBCS), the stage lighting is leased from Vincent Lighting (they also rent them many of the lights for the regular season and Haunt), and Loud and Clear supplies the sound system that the Bandstand has exclusively for Winterfest. A 3rd party does the ice skating, but I can’t remember the company. They also supply the sheet for SeaWorld Orlando. 

There are many more examples, but that’s also the name of the game during the season. Sometimes it makes more economical sense to lease in that industry. As far as lights, blow up Santas, displays, etc, I have no knowledge or reason to believe that it is leased.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 9:20 PM, King Ding Dong said:

Follow up questions Chad:  How can a Freestyle stand serve the most guests when it is closed 95% of the time?  Why are there no refill stations of any kind in Action Zone?  

You can refill your drinks in Action Zone, if you can stand waiting in a clustered chicken shack that is always noisy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new set of answers from Chad!

1. Does the eternal flame in the Banshee queue ever go off?
    • The eternal flame for Son of Beast is always on during Kings Island regular season operating hours.
  2. What happened to the old paramount story props/signs?
    • You can still find some of the props and signs behind the scenes at Kings Island.  Others have been auctioned off to employees to fundraise for worthy causes around the city.
  3. Where is the SOB crate located?
    • Unfortunately, the status of the crate is unknown at this time.
  4. What is the record for most visits to the park in one season?
    • There are a number of guests who have visited the park more than one hundred times in the season.  There were many years when this information was not tracked.
  5. Why do you always have models keep their arms down in advertisement photos?
    • It provides a clean, consistent look to the photos we use for advertisements.
  6. Will the Eiffel Tower lower platform ever be reopened?
    • It’s hard to speculate beyond the foreseeable future.
  • Like 7

My questions:

1. Oktoberfest needs some love, Will Kings Island be updating this area in the foreseeable future?

2. What is the likelihood of seeing old themed area signs returning to each area?

3. What is the likelihood of themed area music returning such as in German music  for Oktoberfest, Rag Time music for Coney Mall, Country music for Rivertown... etc.

4. Will there be a return some day of stage shows for the different themed areas? Coney once had a magic show and Rivertown had a gazebo with live country music.

5. Why were the water fountain features removed from lots of places in the park? (In front of Festhouse, in front of Killmart and the river in Rivertown?

6. With a new chef, Will there be a return to foods unique to Kings Island and less food court franchises?

thats all I have for now. Lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My questions:
1. Oktoberfest needs some love, Will Kings Island be updating this area in the foreseeable future?
2. What is the likelihood of seeing old themed area signs returning to each area?
3. What is the likelihood of themed area music returning such as in German music  for Oktoberfest, Rag Time music for Coney Mall, Country music for Rivertown... etc.
4. Will there be a return some day of stage shows for the different themed areas? Coney once had a magic show and Rivertown had a gazebo with live country music.
5. Why were the water fountain features removed from lots of places in the park? (In front of Festhouse, in front of Killmart and the river in Rivertown?
6. With a new chef, Will there be a return to foods unique to Kings Island and less food court franchises?
thats all I have for now. Lol
Great questions! Rivertown got at least closer to themed music in 2018, the Pickin On series of Bluegrass pop music. I really liked it and hope it returns.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My Questions:

1) Are there more parts still in the park for Phantom Theater?

2) Is so will the Phantom ever make a return?

3) Can we get a re-theming of Action Zone?

4) Are there ever points in time enthusiasts can ever purchase old items that park doesn't use anymore....aka Phantom parts? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...