KICentral Interview July 4th and Beyond for 2018

I got to sit down with Chad Showalter, Director of Communications at Kings Island yesterday for an interview. We discussed the Peanuts Celebration, National Blue Ice Cream Day, July 4th weekend activities, the rest of the summer season, a Giga update, employee housing, and food service.

After the summer season updates we talked about haunt changes for 2018. We then hit on Winterfest updates for 2018 as well. We hope you enjoy the interview!

Chad and I at Coasterstock

20180518_101133.jpg

• Like 5

Watched it the other day on Facebook; good stuff. I like the concept of Animal Days (a potential partnership with the Cincinnati Zoo). Also, while watching the video, I was wondering/hoping that Al the troll would be back for Haunt- will he?

• Like 1

16:24-16:34.  "We continually look for ways to make our guests happy, ......... Part of that of course are new things and also making old things new again."    

Fred Grubb was spotted checking out Racer on 5/24/18.

So.... Is it too early to ask if this will be a Topper Track upgrade or an I Box conversion?

2020: Make Racer Great Again.  

Thanks for the interview Mr. Showalter and IndyGuy4KI. 

I'm still skeptical that that was Fred Grubb, but if we're being totally honest, I wouldn't hate the idea of Racer keeping its layout but getting Topper Track. Make the track red, and we're one step closer to the ride looking and riding like it did in 1972.

I also wouldn't hate it if Beast got new articulating PTCs and gently reprofiled with Topper Track to get rid of some trim brakes, but I won't say that here... Oops.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:19 AM, Kifan91 said:

if The Racer got a topper track would it still be a ace landmark

ACE Landmark status merely recognizes a coaster's place in history. That award is permanent and cannot be lost because of modifications to the ride. If the ride were modified to such an extent that it became an entirely new coaster, there is the possibility that the plaque next to the entrance might be taken down, but the award would remain on the books.

You may be thinking of ACE Coaster Classic status, which recognizes coasters that meet certain criteria and can be rescinded if the coaster is modified in a way that means it no longer meets those criteria. Such was the case with the coaster at Kings Island now known as Woodstock Express, I assume when the seat belts were added.

Great job Brad!  I too was intrigued by the "making old things new again" comment.  I think there are plenty of things that it could mean but I can't see them RMCing The Racer.  If it were up to me there are several things I would do along that route:

1. Turning the old Action Theater into a year round facility.  Something like Plants vs. Zombies at Carowinds (with stationary seats) would be something nice to do on hot days plus it could also be used during Winterfest since it would be indoors.  You could still use half of the building for Haunt and the other half for a P vs. Z type attraction.

2. Using the old arcade by Zephyr for a flat ride.  I would love to see them gut the front part of that building and put a Musik Express / Himalaya there.  That ride would totally fit Coney Mall and would be a great addition.

3. Using the Flight Commander pad for something/anything.  I'm really hoping next year the park adds some flats.  I think an Electro Spin would be great there.  I personally probably wouldn't ride it (fear of protein spills) but that area could use a thrilling flat.  

4. The other thing I thought of was the Antiques.  There are some locations around the park where you could put an Antique Car ride.  The area between Chicken Shack and KI Theater is an underutilized spot and would a good area for a family ride (if the area is big enough for it).  Grandparents also wouldn't have to walk too far since it is close to the park entrance.

5. Re-doing the Festhaus to make it more like Carowinds' Harmony Hall.  Yes this would probably involve adding on to Festhaus but having a more efficient and effective set up along with more food choices would make a ton of sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...