Policies and Subsequent Discipline

Rooh

Please advise where the policy prohibiting use of sidewalk chalk in the park may be found.  You suspended 2 platinum passes for 60 days for sidewalk chalk, which is not damaging or permanent, with no such policy posted on the property.  No warning, no additional feedback, request to stop, etc?  Just oh hey you wasted hundreds of dollars on those passes.  We had to cancel our trip to Cedar Point because of this as well.  Please justify your overly harsh reaction.

• Confused 4

This is a fan forum page that isn't managed by the park... This isn't really the place to ask the park a question. I'd be surprised if they reply at all. If you're looking to gather support/sympathy from other season pass holders (like myself), perhaps you should include why you brought chalk to the park and what you wrote (and where). I'm trying to understand how the interaction went when you were confronted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

They were kids passing the time very creative kids, sorry they had better things to do than play on their phones.  No harm no foul. Thought maybe some of the experts might know but I'll ask questions elsewhere.  BTW, I have been a passholder for years and I see people doing WAY worse things in the parks over the years.  Thank you for your time.

Welcome to KIC!

I suggest you talk to Guest Services in a very respectful and conciliatory manner.  You may be able to negotiate your suspension but not likely with a “where is the rule” attitude.   Just becuase your defacing of the park was not permanent does not make it right.  You should have asked for permission.  It’s common courtesy.   Do your kids go on your neighbors driveway and create art without permission?  

Q. What would the park look like if every guest had 1 piece of sidewalk chalk?   

A. Even worse than a Six Flags Park.  

• Like 15

Please advise where the policy prohibiting use of sidewalk chalk in the park may be found.  You suspended 2 platinum passes for 60 days for sidewalk chalk, which is not damaging or permanent, with no such policy posted on the property.  No warning, no additional feedback, request to stop, etc?  Just oh hey you wasted hundreds of dollars on those passes.  We had to cancel our trip to Cedar Point because of this as well.  Please justify your overly harsh reaction.

Because most were taught not to damage other people’s property?? Yes, it comes off, but you are defacing private property. The park spends a lot of money to build a brand and market it. That includes scenery and such. When someone comes in and starts defacing that brand with chalk they are damaging the brand. Also, the he park now has to spend money to have an employee to clean it up. Can I come to your house and draw all over it with chalk? It will come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Rooh said:

Probably because they still have some imagination and are very creative.  Why not?

That’s great. Really. But are there not creative and imaginative opportunities within the park already? And while it’s not specifically stated as being prohibited, don’t you think it’s a good idea to not let literally anyone write and draw literally whatever they want inside the park? 

I’m creative and imaginative myself, but that doesn’t mean I feel entitled to draw a giant  weinerschnitzel in Oktoberfest with chalk. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

I absolutely agree in regards to smokers, or the rule thats not enforced that is much more important to me, line jumping.  Toss those reprehensible clowns from the park, and if they are passholders, REVOCATION, not suspension.  Now, in regards to sidewalk chalk, it takes all of about 2 seconds to realize and understand that the "my parents use this park as my babysitter" demographic would be creating crude anatomy lessons on the concrete if they were able to bring sidewalk chalk into the park with no penalty.  The majority of Society's rules are made not to penalize the good (though that is more often than not what happens) but as a pre-emptive measure against the people who made the movie "Jackass" a hit.

• Like 3

We on the board do not know the whole situation, and will never know the whole story.  As much as I agree, sidewalk chalk should not have been brought into the park, but I would have thought at least a warning would have been sufficient.  The bigger issue I see here is this, they suspend a season pass for 60 days for something that can be easily just washed off, however, the ride ops can't do anything about people and phones being out on rides.  Sidewalk chalk can deface the property, but a flying cell phone can severely hurt someone.  Again, we don't know the whole story, and unless there was a big fuss made when asked to not to use the chalk, it sounds like a huge over-punishment.  

Just my opinion.  Many other rules are broken that affect many other people than just chalk being washed off with no penalty whatsoever.  Sounds like a focus is off just a little.

• Like 1

Obviously, not knowing the whole story, it's hard for us to pass any judgement, and not being affiliated with the park, there's little any of us could do about it even if we did. However, if you confronted park staff with the same combative attitude you brought to the boards, I doubt the initial vandalism was the only thing brought into consideration when deciding on punishment.

But since you asked, the rule is in the season pass terms you agreed to when you purchased a pass:

IMG_6888.PNG

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/legal/season-pass-terms

• Like 16

20 hours ago, Rooh said:

No warning, no additional feedback, request to stop, etc?  Just oh hey you wasted hundreds of dollars on those passes. 

With how many rules they let people get away with on a regular basis, I find it hard to believe that someone walked up, revoked your passes, threw you out and that was it...

I could be wrong, and that's exactly what happened... But I'd bet my hat there is more to the story...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Honorarius said:

With how many rules they let people get away with on a regular basis, I find it hard to believe that someone walked up, revoked your passes, threw you out and that was it...

I could be wrong, and that's exactly what happened... But I'd bet my hat there is more to the story...

“...forgot to mention that none of us where wearing pants. But that’s a religious thing. They can’t suspend us for that right?  There is no other way to do side walk ark than in the buff. I don’t want the chalk dust on my clothes...”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Could have they done it the way you said Rooh?  Yes, but that's hard to believe, but I don't know,  I'm sure whoever saw it wasn't to happy with guests chalking up the park as if that's normal...  Could have the park decided they needed to make an example out of someone whos doing it the first time, to make sure if other's saw you (your kids) drawing on the sidewalk and it got around, that anyone can do that without being punished,  what started out as 1 time, turns into 5 then 10 and up and up...  Maybe you can explain more what happened?  (If your are still here lol).

• Like 2

On 7/3/2018 at 11:40 AM, Rooh said:

This is petty revenge.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Rooh's posts lack an honest telling of the event and is intended to invoke I'll feelings toward Kings Island and Cedar Fair.  Note that Rooh quickly took the cowards flight once called out.  We won't be getting any further information concerning the affair from either party.

• Like 2

On the topic of sidewalk chalk, there was one day at Vortex when we were down and apparently one of the parties in line played tic-tac-toe with sidewalk chalk on the wooden queue floor.

Great idea (to play tic-tac-toe) but with poor execution. Needless to say, we had fun cleaning the chalk up after closing for the night. :P

Honestly though, I have never thought of bringing sidewalk chalk to Kings Island in the 200+ times I have been there (including work). I wonder how those who did got the idea...

• Like 3