Is The Vortex scarier than The Banshee?

lol

2 hours ago, lol said:

I have had people tell me The Vortex is scarier and others tell me the Banshee is scarier.

Welcome to KIC!

I guess it depends on what scares you.  At KI, none of them scare me as I have ridden them multiple times.  I enjoy Banshee more but will ride both of them.

• Like 1

Banshee is taller, and it screams, so it might seem more intimidating to a first-time rider. Vortex is an older ride, having just celebrated its 30th birthday last season. It's not as smooth as Banshee, and the inversions are more forceful, which might seem scarier to some people. Personally, I love riding both.

By the way, please don't create multiple, similar threads or make double posts, as this clutters up the forum. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reviewing the terms of service. https://kicentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4128-terms-of-service/

• Like 4

I think it's a matter of taste... Older rides, rides that spin, launched rides, rides without seatbelts, faster rides, rides where your feet dangle, rides that rattle, certain types of restraints, wooden rides, tall rides and any number of other things can set off the part of a brain that says 'be scared'... It's different from person to person...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Vortex is scarier for 2 reasons. 

1. Your head is going to hurt after the ride

2. If it rains or you are going to get stuck on the lift hill or one of the brake runs. 

If it starts to sprinkle I always make it a point to head to Vortex to see if it’s down and if some poor guests are strapped in getting soaked. #Schadenfreude  

I’ve seen a rain related breakdown 3 times this year  

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2018 at 7:56 AM, Duck0987 said:

The Vortex is scarier for 2 reasons. 

1. Your head is going to hurt after the ride

2. If it rains or you are going to get stuck on the lift hill or one of the brake runs. 

If it starts to sprinkle I always make it a point to head to Vortex to see if it’s down and if some poor guests are strapped in getting soaked. #Schadenfreude  

I’ve seen a rain related breakdown 3 times this year  

Vortex doesn’t always go down in the rain (it runs fine in a sprinkle), but more often than not it can get temperamental when it rains hard enough for long enough. I actually got stuck on it sometime in June due to a torrential downpour! :lol: 

To answer the topical question: it depends on what aspect you fear more. Banshee goes faster and goes upside down one more time than Vortex, but Vortex’s age, jerkiness and appearance make it look (and FEEL!) scary too. From my experience, it is possible to not get a headache while riding Vortex, but I do see how the possibility of getting one makes Vortex a bit scarier. :) 

When I went to Kings Island for the first time, I rode Vortex first, as it has less loops and it would get me ready for the other coasters with loops. I know that sounds silly, however, ask VortexBFForever, as she was terrified for a while of coasters that had a loop. One day (she can tell you the exact day) she rode Vortex, where she has ridden a lot of rides since on Vortex, and she will happily ride with you (she rode with me on my first ride). I really recommend starting with Vortex, as Vortex may be a headbanger at times, but VortexBFForever can help you with that.

As for how scary it is, Banshee I would say is less scary, as there is a lot less movement inside the harness of Banshee. Vortex still is a ton of fun, where it does prepare you for Banshee, and I recommend starting with Vortex.

Welcome to KIC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Vortex is much scarier imo

On Banshee you get up the hill so fast and smooth without much buildup, seconds later you're going down the first drop with adrenaline surging before you even get to the inversions.

Vortex is much different. The lift hill is slower and also at a peculiar angle from the rest of the park. There's also the signature Klink you will hear coming from beneath your seat  as you slowly climb the hill. You finally start feeling prepared for the plunge, but as you ascend the hill you realize just how sloped the track is at the valley before the drop. You hope the train doesn't fall off the track right then and there! Now it's not just the gravity of the train that will get you zooming, as the train is propelled down the hill adding to the butterflies in your stomach sensation. You're not out of the woods yet, there's still the inversions to come! On a hot day you hope the strong g forces of the first loop followed instantaneously by the second loop doesn't cause you to blackout. Then there's a very forceful brake run, which at times can make you think you are going to be stuck strapped into Vortex. When the ride starts up again, you go through inversions so slow you feel all of your body weight pressing against your restraint, which at that point is without a doubt the only thing keeping you on Vortex and alive.

• Like 1