How will new PKI Waterpark affect The Beach?

italianchef

PKI, on I-71 Exits 24 & 25, owns WaterWorks, a 15-acre water park. The Beach, a 35-acre water park, located on Exit 25 is WaterWorks' closest geographical and commercial rival.

How do you think PKI's new water park will influence business at The Beach Water Park? And if you don't mind, please state if you think this move is at least partially directed at gaining some of The Beach's market share.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

The park has no interst in the Beach's market share. There was a recent story about that in which Jeff mentioned that the park is in no way trying to compete with the Beach because we don't have too. More people come to the park for the coasters and the other rides/attractions in the theme park because we are forever and foremost a Theme Park, not a Water Park.

I respect your view, though I disagree. We all know that PKI is first and foremost a theme park.

However, WaterWorks does provide secondary income. If The Beach Water Park did not exist, would not PKI make more money?

Additionally, it would be unprofessional for Jeff to say "we're out to compete with so and so." He's too much of a gentleman to make such statements.

That's only my opinion anyway. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

PS - I have my MBA in marketing, so I have studied similar business case studies.

Of course having a brand new state of the art water park will help. When was the last time The Beach got a new attraction. Huss has a Giant attraction called a Delirium that has a cool water looking theme. Also I could see a water themed coaster. With Waterworks opening later than the rest of the park, they do have that extra time!

Edited by Tanner

It really depends how they setup the new water park. If PKI requires that all the people that want to go to the Water park pay the same fee as everyone else in the park, I do not think so. If they want to compete with the Beach than they need to make Water Works a seprate park with seprate charges. I Think it would really put a hurt on The Beach Water Park if they made Water Works a seprate park from PKI. Not everyone is a Water lover and some people do not want to pay for a service they do not use.

Posted by adam12 on 08-14-2003

Okay not sure if anyone has noticed that the Beach Stop running radio and Tv ads. That tells me one or two things that is going on with Water Works.

I think Kings Island will tell us when its time.

Pluse don't you think the Water Works of 1989 needs fixing up?

I am a 2004 Beach passholder. Why? Because it was 2 for the price of 1 and it is good for this year. Well worth my time/money. The Beach hasn't added anything since KI's Waterworks expansion. That ride (Aztec Adventure) is better than any ride in Waterworks. Hopefully this will get The Beach to add something next year.

I think that both The Beach Water Park and WaterWorks are great water parks and the Greater Cincinnati area is lucky to be blessed with both. It's obvious that I am linked to PKI, but I wish both PKI with its "new" water park next year and The Beach much prosperity and joy.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

Well... the park could charge say 25 bucks to get into just the Water Park and have the Train Station be another "main gate" type with an admissions area to keep people out of the theme park and to check people coming into the water park. It's a good idea, but I'm not sure if people will do it... I mean, it's cheaper to buy a season pass and come to the park and unless the changes are great (which they should be) then no one will come just to do the water park.

Well... the park could charge say 25 bucks to get into just the Water Park and have the Train Station be another "main gate" type with an admissions area to keep people out of the theme park and to check people coming into the water park. It's a good idea, but I'm not sure if people will do it... I mean, it's cheaper to buy a season pass and come to the park and unless the changes are great (which they should be) then no one will come just to do the water park.

DragonLord,

That's a good idea. You and I are locals and park enthusianst (and you are an employee), so we'll go to PKI no matter what. However, your separate water park admission fee would work great for visitors from out of town. It would be quite lucrative. Maybe someday you can work in the marketing department at PKI. I'm serious. You have the potential.

Have a groovy day,

Italian Chef