The Flat Ride Speculation Thread

Rivertown Rider

• 4 weeks later...

Think it looks fun enough and could be made on a larger scale if needed that could increase the excitement. Not every flat needs to be an extreme thrill. At the least this could make a great family level ride in Planet Snoopy and be something pretty unique and awesome to watch too. Do agree that capacity would probably be low as it appears you could only load/unload 8 people at a time of the 32. But if had two rides ops, one for each arm, it could probably go at a reasonable pace. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Maverick44 said:

Yeah take Invertigo out and put in a flat. i'd be ok with that!

I agree, but in my opinion it would look even better right next to Steel Vengeance in that plot of land that goes over the water. All Cedar Point will have to remove is that silly red coaster.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I agree, but in my opinion it would look even better right next to Steel Vengeance in that plot of land that goes over the water. All Cedar Point will have to remove is that silly red coaster.

That is blasphemy!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For that video concept, I would love to get a skyride and a new Monster to greatly increase its capacity. Hang glider I think would make a better attraction for Area 72 with the flight theme for that area.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:10 AM, Ben43065 said:

It’d be cool if something like this was added to Action Zone (and further transform the theme of the area)2294F902-200E-489C-AD6D-AA62879984C0.jpeg

I personally think this would actually make a great addition for Oktoberfest. It seems like it would have a pretty small foot print so might be able to fit in where the ladder game is currently and can move/remove it. Call it Glockenspiel and theme ti to a German clock tower.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

That is blasphemy!!!

Fine! There are three other options. We can either put it in the location of that old blue giga coaster, the drag racing ride, or the short inverted coaster! Or we can just melt down all of these coasters into one big B&M!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Fine! There are three other options. We can either put it in the location of that old blue giga coaster, the drag racing ride, or the short inverted coaster! Or we can just melt down all of these coasters into one big B&M!

You have now gone too far! He must be stopped!

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 7:16 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I prefer this concept

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants more flats and games in Coney Mall. I would prefer a tilt-a-whirl over a Faris wheel, though. I've always felt it would suit Coney Mall's fair theme very well and that the area was missing something like it.(I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on Coney getting a Tilt-a-whirl)

The mesume idea and the sky ride idea are both genus! I love the idea of both of those being in Coney Mall! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

With an uncertain economy for Cedar Fair and KI just having gotten an expensive coaster it's likely the odds of getting one or more flat rides within the next several years is high.

What would you guys like to see?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

With an uncertain economy for Cedar Fair and KI just having gotten an expensive coaster it's likely the odds of getting one or more flat rides within the next several years is high.

What would you guys like to see?

The Coney Sky Ride idea seems way more feasible now that Vortex is gone. Unlikely, but it would fit better! I would love to see a top spin return to the park, but overall I would like to see two thrilling flats and two or three mild flats. I def think they should try and fit something into the Oktoberfest area (like spinning keggers) and bring some more attention there.

• Like 3

I hope KI doesn't get a ferris wheel. To me, ferris wheels are observation rides and we already have the Eiffel Tower. I also think there is a certain park aesthetic that ferris wheels look good in and KI doesn't fit that. The one at Cedar Point fits well because it's sort of a boardwalk park. (or at least that section is near the beach so it gives the idea of being a boardwalk type area) I also think they look decent in smaller parks like KK and SF St. Louis. This isn't to say that KI is "too good" of a park for a ferris wheel or that ferris wheels are below us, I just think they have a place and that place at KI is already filled by the Eiffel Tower, especially now that the skyline is so dominated by coasters.

On another note, why do parks and ferris wheel manufacturers think that they have to rotate so fast? When I ride a ferris wheel it's so I can get a good view of the park and surroundings from above, but so many times they're absolutely screaming around and you don't get a good chance to see anything unless you get stopped near the top

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zader said:

I hope KI doesn't get a ferris wheel. To me, ferris wheels are observation rides and we already have the Eiffel Tower.

Totally agree, we have 3 tall rides with great views. Plus, they have terrible capacity. Lets get a high trill ride with decant capacity instead.

• Like 3

I agree that I don't see a Ferris wheel fitting in at King Island. As stated we have an observation platform with the Eiffel Tower, WindSeeker for a mild attraction with great views, and Drop Tower for a thrill ride that offers high views. To spread out the skyline more, and given that they are family level attractions, if we did get a ferris wheel the main location I could picture for it would be as a new addition to Planet Snoopy. Place it back near the picnic grove.

As far as flats I do really hope we get some new ones. As others stated I think this is the perfect time as well since they are fairly inexpensive so it would be a good way to add new attractions while saving money in general. For a big one I'd add a Screamin' Swing. Then add some smaller ones like a tilt-a-whirl or teacups style ride added to Oktoberfest as a return of Der Spinning Keggers. Maybe some new ones could be added in Coney Mall near Vortex's old plot as well.

I don't think it's likely but I do like the idea of a sky ride over Coney Mall as well. Could add a station around Vortex's old station and give it similar architecture as a nod to the old station. I'd place the other station around the location of Adventure Express's exit where the ladder game and Coke stand is. I'd theme the station with a Bavarian style and make the ride shared between Coney Mall and Oktoberfest to give the latter and additional attraction. For the queue there as well I'd place a Maypole in the middle with fabric coming off it out to the edges to provide shade and additional themeing element for the land.

• Like 2

I would really like to see the park focus on their flats collection.  I think looking to what Canada's Wonderland (IMO the best flats collection in the chain) does where they mix thrilling and family flats throughout the park.

Some of my ideas:

Rivertown: A Screamin Swing would fit great in that area of the park.  There are no big thrilling flats on that half of the park.

Coney: Add a Tilt a Whirl and a Top Scan.

Oktoberfest: Bring back the Keggers.  Also put a Musik Express where the ladder game is.

Action Zone: This is an area that could use some family flats.  Maybe move the Flying Eagles over there with a Camp Snoopy revamp.  Putting a revamped Phantom Theater would also get people out of the concrete jungle that is Action Zone.

• Like 6

On 7/24/2020 at 11:15 AM, KI Guy said:

I think three giant flat rides is enough for the time being.

it would be nice to have more of the traditional sized flats such as an Endeavor, Air Race, Swing Around, spinning barrels, Trabant, etc.

I had to look most of these up to see what they all were, since I'm not up to speed on flat rides.  For the most part, these wouldn't be anything I would ride, other than Endeavor.  That looks like a modernized version of Skylab, which is a ride I miss dearly at KI.  I know there are still plenty of other Enterprise rides operating around the country, but Skylab was one of my favorite rides at KI, and one of the only flat rides I would ride regularly.  I was terribly saddened when they removed it.  So my vote is for an Endeavor,  preferably right where Hank's now sits.  

• Like 2

I was surprised by how fun the Swing Around at Darien Lake (Corn Popper) was. It doesn't look like anything special just looking at it.

@wabashcr, if you loved Skylab, I'd bet you'd love an Endeavor. It's essentially a Skylab with a great view and dangling feet. The open design limits the risk of nausea common on Skylab type rides. If you make a trip to KK sometime, It's definitely worth a try.

I'd put the barrels where the ladder game is in Oktoberfest as I think someone suggested.

The Trabant, (or the "face-off" like replacement the Wipe-out) would be a good nod to the old Wheel of Fortune if they could find a place in Coney Mall.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, MillenniumforceMike said:

three words

Gerstlauer Sky Roller
Skyhawk (Canada's Wonderland) - Coasterpedia - The Roller Coaster Wiki

I thought of that but two words prevent that: Flight Commander. 

I think what happened back in the early 90s with Flight Commander would turn the park away from something similar. Kinda like how I think Magic Mountain will never get a S&S 4d freespin.

• Like 1