Jump to content
Rivertown Rider

The Flat Ride Speculation Thread

Recommended Posts

I think that is what they are doing with The Vortex letting it go. I do not see why you would spend the money on painting it. In my opinion it’s not worth it. I love the ride as a middle tier stepping stone. My niece rode it for the first time this year becuase she was scared of Banshee. She loved it and it’s only a matter of time before she is wanting to do Banshee. I have learned a trick to riding Vortex or any ride your head bangs. I always lean my head forward it somehow works so my head doesn’t bang and it actually makes the ride seem smoother. So based on that never tear down a ride that is functioning and doesn’t cost much to repair (if that is the case). 

That being said I would rather have a bigger better ride in that spot though any of the suggested sounds great. I am also one who would love to see The Racers turned into some type of racing RMC. The Racers do not bring a line like it use too. (I get it on a Saturday you might wait 10 minutes but thats not like the old days) RMC would bring them back to their hay day as one of the best coasters at the park and if it is a nostalgia thing then (tie it into the Son of Beast and racers) call it The Racers Unleashed becuase at the end of the day we all know they have The Beast for nostalgia. They do not need The Racers and Vortex for nostalgia purposes.

As far as flat rides I would love a Skyhawk ride in the xbase area theming would be perfect for it. Also mentioned before a feris wheel would be great. Any type of extreme flats are desperately needed at the park. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hueney020 said:

I think that is what they are doing with The Vortex letting it go. I do not see why you would spend the money on painting it. In my opinion it’s not worth it. I love the ride as a middle tier stepping stone. My niece rode it for the first time this year becuase she was scared of Banshee. She loved it and it’s only a matter of time before she is wanting to do Banshee. I have learned a trick to riding Vortex or any ride your head bangs. I always lean my head forward it somehow works so my head doesn’t bang and it actually makes the ride seem smoother. So based on that never tear down a ride that is functioning and doesn’t cost much to repair (if that is the case). 

That being said I would rather have a bigger better ride in that spot though any of the suggested sounds great. I am also one who would love to see The Racers turned into some type of racing RMC. The Racers do not bring a line like it use too. (I get it on a Saturday you might wait 10 minutes but thats not like the old days) RMC would bring them back to their hay day as one of the best coasters at the park and if it is a nostalgia thing then (tie it into the Son of Beast and racers) call it The Racers Unleashed becuase at the end of the day we all know they have The Beast for nostalgia. They do not need The Racers and Vortex for nostalgia purposes.

As far as flat rides I would love a Skyhawk ride in the xbase area theming would be perfect for it. Also mentioned before a feris wheel would be great. Any type of extreme flats are desperately needed at the park. 

 

Leaning your head forward is a great way to get whiplash! Now that's fun! haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not talking about doing it on any launch coasters. I have never had whiplash happen to me. Actually nothing even close to that has happen. My whole family uses that trick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think that is what they are doing with The Vortex letting it go. I do not see why you would spend the money on painting it. In my opinion it’s not worth it. I love the ride as a middle tier stepping stone. My niece rode it for the first time this year becuase she was scared of Banshee. She loved it and it’s only a matter of time before she is wanting to do Banshee. I have learned a trick to riding Vortex or any ride your head bangs. I always lean my head forward it somehow works so my head doesn’t bang and it actually makes the ride seem smoother. So based on that never tear down a ride that is functioning and doesn’t cost much to repair (if that is the case). 
That being said I would rather have a bigger better ride in that spot though any of the suggested sounds great. I am also one who would love to see The Racers turned into some type of racing RMC. The Racers do not bring a line like it use too. (I get it on a Saturday you might wait 10 minutes but thats not like the old days) RMC would bring them back to their hay day as one of the best coasters at the park and if it is a nostalgia thing then (tie it into the Son of Beast and racers) call it The Racers Unleashed becuase at the end of the day we all know they have The Beast for nostalgia. They do not need The Racers and Vortex for nostalgia purposes.
As far as flat rides I would love a Skyhawk ride in the xbase area theming would be perfect for it. Also mentioned before a feris wheel would be great. Any type of extreme flats are desperately needed at the park. 
 
Not needing The Racer for nostalgia? Are you aware of the history of this ride?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I love the history of the ride and what it started. However does that justify it to be a walk on coaster for the next 20 years. Besides the fact that the coaster is still rough after all the work they did for this year. Like I said my opinion is hated when it comes to The Racers but something needs to be done it’s in a great location. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because a ride is a walk doesn’t mean its not popular.... Vortex is a popular ride it just doesn’t have a large line due to how good the capacity is. Not to mention I don’t see staffing being as much of a problem with these new dorms. Let’s all remember Kings Island has a huge family market and if you get rid of 2 48’ rides you’re going to see lines go up and satisfaction going down.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Racer gets over 1 million riders each season with only Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers getting more riders. It's a walk on because it can launch 60 people at a time because of the two loading platforms, compared to 28 people on Vortex and 32 people on Banshee and Diamondback. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said I would never agree with removing Vortex when it is still functioning or has low maintenance costs. I agree 100% with it being a steeping stone to bigger coasters. 

Also I said my opinion about The Racers was not a well liked one. Yes The Racers hit 1 million riders but let’s not forget that is with 2 coasters which is 2,640 rides per hour so not that good really. If they had a dueling RMC you can’t tell me they would not be getting 1 million riders a year easy with two sides. 

I was never saying removing both coasters but eventually they will have to replace one of them. I get the whole family thing since I bring my family multiple times a year. Which brings up a good point about flat rides and making sure they install family friendly (tame flat rides) becuase they obviously do great at the park and allow kids in that in between stage to do something more exciting than kiddie land. I feel like they do better than extreme flat rides at Kings Island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Respectfully, I'm pretty sure the average person considers The Racer 1 ride, not 2. Also, it has historical significance to the park and as far as its age goes, the Cyclone at Coney Island opened in 1927 and in just 8 years, it will have been around for 100 years. With good care, I see no reason why Racer couldn't last as long. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope The Racer gets more love and care as the years go on. Red is almost unrideable for me, Blue is much better this year. I wonder if the roughness of Red is related to years of recaR? Or that it's used more...Blue seems to be the standard closed side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it might be a comparison thing. For many years around here, Red was pretty consistently praised as being the smooth side. And then Blue received that retracking, which is making Red seem rougher in comparison.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine Red will get retracked at some point in the near future. 50th anniversary, perhaps?

I don't think Racer is going anywhere anytime soon. Besides, there is already a far more problematic coaster that seems likelier to be replaced within the next 5-10 years, and ironically, it is much younger than Racer and Vortex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the key though taking care of The Racers. They finally gave the blue side some love but it is still very rough. As long as they continue to put maintenance into the ride and retrack sections of the coaster each year it will be a much better coaster. My teenage girls do not like riding it because it is to rough so how do they expect kids younger to get on and enjoy the ride and want to reride it. My niece actually loved The Vortex more than The Racers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Joshua said:

 Besides, there is already a far more problematic coaster that seems likelier to be replaced within the next 5-10 years, and ironically, it is much younger than Racer and Vortex. 

I assume you’re talking about Invertigo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

RMC Racer will not happen as long as Don Helbig is around. 

Don Helbig is area manager of digital marketing. He has no say in what rides are removed and added.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you find Blue rough, sit towards the middle of the train. I did so on my last trip and it was smooooooth. I don't recommend the front or back on either Racer or The Beast. Also, never hold on during a wooden rollercoaster. Put your hands in the air and let go, otherwise you are forcing your body to endure every bump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

RMC Racer will not happen as long as John Matarese is around. 

Sorry, I had to.. it was too easy. :)

 

I like to see Sledgehammer make it's way into the US from Canada. Bring it to KI, I dont care.

 

if Area 72 and Action Zone tend to eventually connect to each other in the future by wrapping way out in the woods, I could see a LOT of room for flat rides.

 

I dont see purpose of a ferris wheel when the Eiffel Tower exists.

 

KI does need a sky ride like CP especially if Area 72 expansion plans to get bigger. 

 

I think there should be an all around park sky ride. Multiple drop points to help move people. Riders would have to get off and get in line if they want to keep going so it would be cool to go from Orion to Mystic Timbers with no walking hardly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shizzzon said:

Sorry, I had to.. it was too easy. :)

 

I like to see Sledgehammer make it's way into the US from Canada. Bring it to KI, I dont care.

 

if Area 72 and Action Zone tend to eventually connect to each other in the future by wrapping way out in the woods, I could see a LOT of room for flat rides.

 

I dont see purpose of a ferris wheel when the Eiffel Tower exists.

 

KI does need a sky ride like CP especially if Area 72 expansion plans to get bigger. 

 

I think there should be an all around park sky ride. Multiple drop points to help move people. Riders would have to get off and get in line if they want to keep going so it would be cool to go from Orion to Mystic Timbers with no walking hardly. 

I prefer this concept

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I prefer this concept

 

Absolutely love this concept. I think this is perfect long term goal. Maybe one more extreme ride like the hang gliders but would be a great multi year addition. Also agree with the Ferris wheel. I am not talking about one of those observation wheels in downtown Cincinnati which would make no sense with the Eiffel Tower right there but an old fashion Ferris wheel. The concept just needs to add KMAA. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I agree.  I really wonder whatever happened with the Japan expedition. 

I would love to see something like the Huss Condor (Falcon's Flight) come to KI.  It was an enjoyable ride when I rode it at Worlds of Fun and unlike most flats it has decent capacity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I would like to see:

International Street- The antenna put back on the Eiffel Tower

Action Zone- idk what would go here tbh........its kinds fine as it is (for this purpose)

Oktoberfest- A new Bavarian Beetle, Ferris wheel, and teacup ride

Coney Mall- A rock o plane, a rotor, a round up, a slide, and a tunnel of love

Rivertown- A new hyper flume, a tilt a whirl, an alpine slide, and a fireball

Planet Snoopy-I dont really see the need to add any flat rides here considering every ride there is a flat ride.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

a tunnel of love

As long as it ends with a gimmick similar to Mystic Timbers. :D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Joshua said:

As long as it ends with a gimmick similar to Mystic Timbers. :D 

hahahahahahahahaha that's good!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through each of the 11 main Cedar Fair parks, excluding Gilroy Gardens, and looked at their flat ride collections compared to ours.  I looked at each of the park's collections and then for the purposes of this list took away the comparable rides to ours.  I also did not count children's only rides in this list.  In looking at the pro's and con's of these, I will be looking at the last installation by year of the ride type, any removals throughout the rest of the chain, and the chain's recent relationship with the manufacturer. 

All of the rides below are rides that we currently do not have.  For simplicity, I also combined similar ride types (i.e. a Music Express and Matterhorn) as while there are minor differences they are basically the same ride.  I am only going to look at rides that there are at least 3 rides elsewhere.  In case you were wondering, the flat rides that are in all 11 main Cedar Fair parks are Bumper Cars, the Carousel, and Flying Scooters.  Trabant (4 parks), Calypso (3 parks), and Swing Around (3 parks) are all defunct models so I also didn't include them.  Of the ones we don't have that are still manufactured:

Ferris Wheel (6 parks: CP, DP, KD, MiA, VF, WOF) (Last installation: KD 2009 (GL relocation))

Pros:  There are several areas in the park where it would look nice and it is a great family ride.

Cons: They have low efficiency.  With Newport building a permanent Ferris Wheel and Cincinnati working to keeps theirs full time, it probably doesn't make much sense to add one at the current time.

Musik Express / Matterhorn / Himalaya/ SeaStorm (6 parks: Carowinds, CP, DP, MiA, VF, WOF) (Last installation: Nordic Chaser, WOF 2018)

Pros:  Something everyone in the family can do and could go anywhere in the park.  Carowinds' Rock n' Roller was the most popular flat ride in the park in 2018 according to their blog.  There are various manufacturers but Cedar Fair seemingly has a good working relationship with Mack who manufactured both Nordic Chaser and Rock n' Roller which was part of the Europe flat ride finds. 

Cons:  Coney Island does have a Himalaya but I don't think that would be a determining factor.

Enterprise (4 parks: CAGA, Carowinds, DP, and WOF) (Last installation: DP 1984)

Pros: It is a fun and classic amusement park ride.

Cons: Considering that the chain has dramatically been reducing their fleet of Enterprise due to maintenance costs, this one is not going to happen.  I could see something like a Zamperla Endeavor but we aren't going to get a Huss Enterprise.

Tilt-a-Whirl (4 parks: CP, DP, MiA, and VF) (Last installation: DP 2002)

Pros: The Tilt-a-Whirl is a good family ride and is one of those rides that could easily go anywhere in the park with the right themeing.  It also takes up a relatively small footprint.  Larson International now has the rights to the building of the Tilt a Whirl and the park has put another Larson product in the Flying Scooters in many of the parks in the chain.  They also put in a Larson Loop at ValleyFair.  The ride can also be themed nicely (see Turkey Whirl at Holiday World) 

Cons: Another ride that Coney Island has. 

Looping Starship (3 parks: Carowinds, KD, and VF) (Last installation: Carowinds 1986)

Pros:  Visually appealing.

Cons: Considering its manufacturer is Intamin that pretty much knocks it off the list immediately.  None of the parks that have a standard pirate/swinging ship also have a Looping Starship.  This one also isn't happening.  CF also removed the one from CAGA recently as well.

Top Scan (3 parks: CW, Carowinds, and KBF) (Last installation Carowinds/KBF 2017)

Pros: The chain seemingly has a good relationship with the manufacturer Mondial.  They had enough faith in the model to put it in two of their parks (even if Carowinds was part of the European scavenger hunt).  Would be another "thrilling" flat.

Cons:  It wouldn't appeal to everyone in the family.

Of this list I would say the most likely are:

1. Musik Express

2. Top Scan

3. Tilt-a-Whirl

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, Hueney020 said:

They do not need The Racers and Vortex for nostalgia purposes.

 

Yeah they do.......Racer is credited with the revival of modern roller coaster interest and Vortex is a classic coaster.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 2:25 PM, Hueney020 said:

Yeah. I love the history of the ride and what it started. However does that justify it to be a walk on coaster for the next 20 years. Besides the fact that the coaster is still rough after all the work they did for this year. Like I said my opinion is hated when it comes to The Racers but something needs to be done it’s in a great location. 

The line to racers was almost around the corner to Adventure Express last night. Longer than Stunt coaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 9:38 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

I could see something like a Zamperla Endeavor but we aren't going to get a Huss Enterprise.

I rode the new Zamperla Endeavor at Kentucky Kingdom. 

It is everything good about the Enterprise, but better. Better view (less nausea and more enjoyable) and legs dangle. 

I definitely would approve of one being installed at KI.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...