Mystic Timbers employees rude

LuvingKI

Rode mystic last night around 10:30. The line looked really long, don't know how long the actual wait was. As I was getting on a couple in the seat behind me had a souvenir cup and asked to sit it down. They was told no and to please go to the exit. The couple said they had waited a long time and wasn't told they couldn't bring it while entering.  The two Mystic employees was very rude and the way they leaned over both sides of the couple looked like they was trying to be intimidating.  So the Male half asked could it just be thrown away, since he had waited so long and in a rude tone the employee said yes. The Male half asked if they would throw it away and they said no and unlocked the bars and made him go do it.

I've dropped 3k on passes this year and if that was a regular attitude of employees, I'd never go back.  It was so nasty I almost jumped in it and figured just ban me. 

The couple never once got loud or nasty back.

I know that they dont represent all employees, as that's the first time I've seen that behavior and most are very nice when getting on rides. 

No, I figured that was for them to do. Plus it was late and a long ride home. We stayed till midnight 

On a better note, we rode Vortex about 945, and then ran over to WindSeeker and timed it just right and they timed us so that we was going up as the fireworks started.   

• Like 3

I absolutely love KI and it's employees, some of the best I've ever encountered, however we have had some issues at MT as well. The worst was last Wed, we had looked at the regular line and it looked to be about a 20 min wait, so my husband took my green sheet to the exit, he waited forever and the guy on that side just kept ignoring him, he finally gave a ride time and it was an hour wait, I couldn't believe it. I immediately went to the entrance and asked how long the wait was, her response, 15-20 min, that's a heck of a lot different than an hour. Needless to say we didn't ride and just left. This has happened numerous times now and I don't get it. I have no problem waiting the same amount of time as everyone else but it's not right to be made to wait A LOT longer because I have a physical disability.

• Like 1

I had an issue yesterday at Mystic, instead of the operator pulling up to make sure the lap bar was locked, the operator pushed down with all of his weight and knocked the wind out of me. Then I brought it to another ops attention and they were making excuses for the behavior. I did indeed go to GS in all of the rides I've taken on Mystic that has never happened and it shouldn't have happened.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have sympathy for guests with belongings, especially women with purses, when it comes to not being able to take them into the Mystic Timbers and Banshee lines.

I understand that suposedly it would be difficultor impossible to maintain efficient three train opperation if guests were allowed to put their stuff in bins and retrieve it. Nevertheless, there has to be a better solution than paid lockers.

Even if what has been claimed regarding lockers not being feasible for efficient opperation is 100% true, people will feel like they are being nickled and dimed.

• Like 1

One thing I will say, Friday evening we were getting off Diamondback and someone had their phone stolen out of the bin, just confirmed to me that I don't carry anything with me in the park because there's no way I'm going to take a chance of something getting stolen.

11 hours ago, KI Guy said:

I have sympathy for guests with belongings, especially women with purses, when it comes to not being able to take them into the Mystic Timbers and Banshee lines.

As a woman who frequents the park, I've developed a way to have all of my personal items on my person at all times in the park without having to carry a bag.  If I need something important, I'll run to my car to retrieve it.  It can definitely be done, and makes for a more enjoyable experience for myself as I don't have to worry about anything but getting on and off rides. 

• Like 3

My wife has a running belt (thin version of a fanny pack).  It holds everything she needs, even her phone.  She wears it under her shirt and has never had a problem.  And as far as the couple getting in the seat with the souvenir cup, it sucks that the employees were rude, but I believe there are posted signs that state that these items cannot be carried on with you.  It seems like another case of "that rule doesn't apply to me".

• Like 3

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-zip-cargo-shorts-with-side-elastic-and-4-way-flex-nw926?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=pla&utm_term=NW926CN:42:10&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuNOqjZ2S3AIVkj2BCh0IpwO8EAkYASABEgIdm_D_BwE#hero=0

I own at least 2 pairs of these. Highly recommended. The pockets zip and they are fairly "water resistant". Ziplock sandwich bag to put my phone and key in, and I'm set. Never have needed a bag, never gotten anything electronic wet. 

• Like 1

We were at the park on Saturday while it was crowded and we didn't do much we had a great time and all the staff was awesome.  We were also in the waterpark Sunday and had great experiences this weekend.  The food we had was actually really good.  No ice at the drink stands and half working machines still continues though.

• Like 2

My wife has a running belt (thin version of a fanny pack).  It holds everything she needs, even her phone.  She wears it under her shirt and has never had a problem.  And as far as the couple getting in the seat with the souvenir cup, it sucks that the employees were rude, but I believe there are posted signs that state that these items cannot be carried on with you.  It seems like another case of "that rule doesn't apply to me".

Unfortunately, I can only like this post once. Rules are rules and everyone has to follow them. It will be nice when the bins go away and no confusion on what rides you can take stuff with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

On a better note, we rode Vortex about 945, and then ran over to WindSeeker and timed it just right and they timed us so that we was going up as the fireworks started.   

I was driving Vortex when you rode! (I drove it from 9:15 to about 10:10) I hope you enjoyed it!

I'm glad you at least had a good experience on my two rides. Fireworks rides on WindSeeker never disappoint. :D

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

And as far as the couple getting in the seat with the souvenir cup, it sucks that the employees were rude, but I believe there are posted signs that state that these items cannot be carried on with you.  It seems like another case of "that rule doesn't apply to me".

I tend to agree with Chad on this post.  Granted we don't know all that was said, but someone being "rude" is subjective.  Personally, as long as they didn't use profanity or make fun of the individual, I would tend to think they were simply doing their job.  There are postings all over the park (including the video signs above you when you get your pass scanned - wonder how many have never noticed that!, at the ride itself, etc.) so there really isn't any excuse for a person to get that far in line.  As Bodda points out, the employee could have been working a long day by that time and perhaps this person was the 40th person that day that had tried to sneak a cup through the line and on the ride and being human, most of us by that time would have not been as polite as we probably could be OR maybe they have tried the polite approach to only be cussed out (I have seen that happen all too often) so they decided to simply be stern in hopes it would come across authoritatively.  There is a difference between stern and rude.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people try to sneak something past the greeter at the front of the ride.  The majority of the time they are caught, but at night and if going in with a group, things like a cup can be missed.  But again, that isn't the greeter's fault, that is the individual for not reading and following the rules.  Maybe we should make it a requirement that all guests must pass a basic rules exam before entering the park LOL!!!

But we live in a coddle society so someone probably expects the employee should say something like "Hi I'm Katie and I unfortunately regret to have to inform you that the policy on this ride is that you are not allowed to bring anything onto the ride.  I am so sorry that you missed our postings and that the greeter at the front of the line missed it.  I also apologize profusely that we do not have bins for you to put it in.  Please accept my dearest sympathies in your situation but I will have to kindly ask you to leave the ride.  As a token of my apologies, here is a FastLane pass so that you can enjoy the rides at the park without waiting.  I am so sorry we made you stand in line and again please accept my heartfelt apologies." Personally, I was raised that if you did something wrong, don't expect a sugar coat or politeness when being corrected or being told of your infraction as they are there to enforce policy not be the make you feel good greeter.

The part that frustrates me the most are seeing people with souvenir cups doing stuff like trying to take stuff through Banshee or Mystic lines and smoking where they shouldn't be - they are obviously pass holders and should know better.

• Like 4

I have had mixed results coming from that ride. When I was there they let us bring on a small purse that my sister had. Later in the day some mid aged man just decided to be a jerk and not let us in line with it.  We took it up earlier in t he day. The guy was very rude the 2nd time around. I wasn't very pleasant with him as we heading to the lockers at 9:35 to store a small purse for 1 ride. I think there needs to be more consistency when it comes to that sorta stuff. End Rant.

• Like 1

A small purse is technically a bag., and all bags have to be in a locker. I would think it's not a matter of consistency (all the time) it's a matter of guests who listen. 

The problem with Mystic is that there is only 1 sign that tells you to secure your articles, and people seem to be more compliant with this. At Banshee there are 3, two of them being right next to where you enter the line. And people still attempt to enter the line as quickly as possible to avoid the operators who are at the front of the line. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I tend to agree with Chad on this post.  Granted we don't know all that was said, but someone being "rude" is subjective.  Personally, as long as they didn't use profanity or make fun of the individual, I would tend to think they were simply doing their job.  There are postings all over the park (including the video signs above you when you get your pass scanned - wonder how many have never noticed that!, at the ride itself, etc.) so there really isn't any excuse for a person to get that far in line.  As Bodda points out, the employee could have been working a long day by that time and perhaps this person was the 40th person that day that had tried to sneak a cup through the line and on the ride and being human, most of us by that time would have not been as polite as we probably could be OR maybe they have tried the polite approach to only be cussed out (I have seen that happen all too often) so they decided to simply be stern in hopes it would come across authoritatively.  There is a difference between stern and rude.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people try to sneak something past the greeter at the front of the ride.  The majority of the time they are caught, but at night and if going in with a group, things like a cup can be missed.  But again, that isn't the greeter's fault, that is the individual for not reading and following the rules.  Maybe we should make it a requirement that all guests must pass a basic rules exam before entering the park LOL!!!

But we live in a coddle society so someone probably expects the employee should say something like "Hi I'm Katie and I unfortunately regret to have to inform you that the policy on this ride is that you are not allowed to bring anything onto the ride.  I am so sorry that you missed our postings and that the greeter at the front of the line missed it.  I also apologize profusely that we do not have bins for you to put it in.  Please accept my dearest sympathies in your situation but I will have to kindly ask you to leave the ride.  As a token of my apologies, here is a FastLane pass so that you can enjoy the rides at the park without waiting.  I am so sorry we made you stand in line and again please accept my heartfelt apologies." Personally, I was raised that if you did something wrong, don't expect a sugar coat or politeness when being corrected or being told of your infraction as they are there to enforce policy not be the make you feel good greeter.

The part that frustrates me the most are seeing people with souvenir cups doing stuff like trying to take stuff through Banshee or Mystic lines and smoking where they shouldn't be - they are obviously pass holders and should know 

We saw it, as I said the couple never once used profanity or got loud. This may be the first time they've been. The fact that the employee couldn't toss the cup for them and unlocked the ride and made them get off is bs. 

Again they was willing to throw away the cup, they was very nice and willing to lose the $ they spent on the cup. Employees was total jerks on that one. No excuse

I work construction and deal with customers regularly.  I work when its 95 degrees outside, sometimes hurt and sometimes get hurt,  but no matter what, when a customer has a request or a complaint, I smile and treat them as a customer 

1 hour ago, CoasterOhio said:

A small purse is technically a bag., and all bags have to be in a locker. I would think it's not a matter of consistency (all the time) it's a matter of guests who listen. 

The problem with Mystic is that there is only 1 sign that tells you to secure your articles, and people seem to be more compliant with this. At Banshee there are 3, two of them being right next to where you enter the line. And people still attempt to enter the line as quickly as possible to avoid the operators who are at the front of the line. 

I would argue about consistency. We should not been allowed with that bag the first trip. It really was just this dudes attitude. He wasn't even nice about it.

There’s been a few times where I’ve witnessed the ride employee at the entrance getting distracted with something and a guest entered the line with a bag or souvenir bottle without the employee catching it. It’s possible that could have been the case in this situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

We saw it, as I said the couple never once used profanity or got loud. This may be the first time they've been. The fact that the employee couldn't toss the cup for them and unlocked the ride and made them get off is bs. 

Again they was willing to throw away the cup, they was very nice and willing to lose the $ they spent on the cup. Employees was total jerks on that one. No excuse

I work construction and deal with customers regularly.  I work when its 95 degrees outside, sometimes hurt and sometimes get hurt,  but no matter what, when a customer has a request or a complaint, I smile and treat them as a customer 

What I was saying was maybe the employee tried during the day to be nice and polite to other guests that violated policy and were cussed out so they figured why be nice and tried the stern approach and maybe it was this calm couple that was the recipient of the employee trying a different approach because being polite with other guests simply resulted in being cussed out.  I suspect it wasn't their first time at the park since they were so willing to discard the cup, but maybe they had such a bad day they decided they would never come back and was willing to dispose of cup.

Now I agree that for the sake of speed and dispatch times, to make the individual get out and throw away the cup seems counter intuitive as that would most definitely slow dispatch times.

We will never know the full story unfortunately, so people will post their viewpoints based on what they believe happened and how they interpret your posts.  For all we know the line separator in the station could have told the couple they couldn't ride with the cup and they blew them off or went off on the separator so the ride operator decided to be a stern authoritative.  We will never know.  One of the reasons why I hate when the media shows a 15 second clip of some "issue" and it goes viral and what is being seen on that clip could be totally taken out of context without knowing what led up to the event that was captured.  Anything less than that and we are assuming what happened and we know what happens when one assumes.

• Like 1

Too many people complain about the souvenir cups (not being able to get them on rides, storing them, getting stolen, etc), so it is possible that the ride operator wanted the person to personally dispose of it, lest it come back that the ride operator threw it away.

On Saturday, I saw 2 of them sitting on the dirt at the front of Mystic.  Evil thoughts ran through my mind, but I figured that it was someone elses issue if they got stolen or pitched.  Gotta love the cup replacement!  

• Like 1

I would argue about consistency. We should not been allowed with that bag the first trip. It really was just this dudes attitude. He wasn't even nice about it.

I’m curious because you have been on this forum long enough to know you can’t bring items on Mystic Timbers, so why did you try when you knew you couldn’t? Was the employee “rude” because you felt you should be able to bring the item on the ride?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

I’m curious because you have been on this forum long enough to know you can’t bring items on Mystic Timbers, so why did you try when you knew you couldn’t? Was the employee “rude” because you felt you should be able to bring the item on the ride?

Excellent question Oldschool!  In fact, many of these ride operators begin to recognize regulars that should know better and maybe the ride operators get a little short or more terse with those types, similar to how our parents were not polite when we did something stupid and they called us out on it - they know us and know we know better lol!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

I have no qualms about not taking anything on the ride. Its the fact of how he was talking. I am gonna take a wild guess and say you were not there at that time. I could care less what he was talking about.. You don't talk to people in the manner he was when you are customer facing. That is grounds for termination in the hospitality world.

Hate to say it because it makes me sound like I hate all KI employees....

KI does not have the prestige as a Disney World does. So going to work there for most is no different than working a Skyline or Kroger’s outside of the park. When you pay min wage or lower wage you get lower effort.

To really turn employee attitudes around is to increase pay and cut the employees that are rude or slow or don’t care etc....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shark6495 said:

Hate to say it because it makes me sound like I hate all KI employees....

KI does not have the prestige as a Disney World does. So going to work there for most is no different than working a Skyline or Kroger’s outside of the park. When you pay min wage or lower wage you get lower effort.

To really turn employee attitudes around is to increase pay and cut the employees that are rude or slow or don’t care etc....

KI does not have the same target market for associates and guests as Disney World does.

I will say this, I love my job. I take pride in what I do. I worked in food service at LaRosas before deciding to come to work at Kings Island. It was perhaps the best decision I have made in my life in all honesty. You get to know so many amazing people. 85% of the people I talk to are people I have met because of working at Kings Island. You could say that going to work their is no different than other places for those who do not enjoy the job. But almost everyone I talk to enjoys their job and truly enjoy the people you meet while working. I come into work smiling and 99.5% of the time I leave work smiling even more. I would say the majority of people that work at Kings Island consider it a great and special place to work at.

The locker policy is something I have come to agree with. Bins signficantly slow down operations and leave a chance for valuable items to be stolen. Fanny packs as of this year have been banned due to now being considered a loose article on some intense rollercoasters. 

• Like 3