Adventure Express History

HandsUp

Rode AE for the 1st time in years yesterday. Made me think back to when it first opened and wonder about how it was received back then. I remember as a 13/14 year old being quite disappointed given that it was the 1st coaster since Vortex and was rather tame-esp. given the teaser lift hill at the very end...seemed very kid-like. 

But riding it now it did not seem so lame. Sure it's not too intense, but it has its charms all the same. The 48'' requirement means it'll be one of the 1st 'big' rides my son gets to experience and I'm sure he (6 year old) will eat it up. 

My question for the OGs is how was it marketed/received when it first went in? Was the expectation to split the difference age-wise and attract younger and older riders? What was the overall reception? How did the project come about?

My thoughts on it had always been that is was half-baked and that the concept was awesome, but the final product was low on intensity and high on cheesiness, leaving riders debating with themselves whether or not they liked it. Just wondering if anyone has any specific nuggets of info or memories. 

If I remember correctly, it was built to be heavily themed and be as much Indiana Jones like as possible.

There used to be mist all along the low track and parts where arrows came up and down in the tunnels as well as a number of skeletons along the ride. There was a track closed sign as well at one of the tunnels.

When Paramount owned KI, they played the Raiders March, aka the Indiana Jones theme through the overhead speakers along with commentary.

I have always liked AE as a coaster. Great starter coaster for growing kids. My 6 year old son rides it and just rode Stunt Coaster for the first time a few weeks ago.

A park has to have in betweens for the transition from kids rides to bigger ones. I figure The Bat will be his next one. He likes steel coasters best.

• Like 3

I have been looking for more information on AE's original effects, but can't seem to find a whole lot. Wasn't there supposed to be lava effect at one point?

On July 9, 2018 at 1:39 PM, fyrfyter said:

When Paramount owned KI, they played the Raiders March, aka the Indiana Jones theme through the overhead speakers along with commentary.I

Up until a few years ago, Cedar Fair continued to play a small portion of Raiders of the Lost Ark score in the queue. The track is "The Idol Temple."

6 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I have been looking for more information on AE's original effects, but can't seem to find a whole lot. Wasn't there supposed to be lava effect at one point?

The "Now you will pay" dude would "dump" the lava cauldron and fog would shoot out of the sides.  If I recall correctly, it also dropped water too. 

On 7/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, fyrfyter said:

There used to be mist all along the low track and parts where arrows came up and down in the tunnels as well as a number of skeletons along the ride. There was a track closed sign as well at one of the tunnels.

I believe there's only ever been the skeleton in tunnel two, which remains to this day. The "Track Closed" sign is also still around, on tunnel one.

18 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Here is a brief 1991 commercial that shows some of the marketing materials for AE, including a statue head that didn't appear in the ride.  I remember being disappointed about that. haha

The statue head in the commercial seems to be the same on as the idol who dumps the lava at the top of the last hill (just different lighting/colors).

1 minute ago, robintodd said:

The statue head in the commercial seems to be the same on as the idol who dumps the lava at the top of the last hill (just different lighting/colors).

Doesn’t look the same, at least to me. I think that was a concept craft that they made for the commercials, long before the ride was completed.

A10A54EB-2AB1-46FB-9738-1710A14E55C8.png

When AE came out in 1991, I was 12 years old and just starting to warm up to roller coasters, so it was perfect. Loved the theming (the only other 'themed' coaster I'd been on at that time was Disaster Transport, which still had most its effects working), loved that it wasn't too scary. As a teen and twenty-something, I started skipping it because it wasn't thrilling enough. As an adult, I appreciate it as a fun, fast little ride, and it's a perfect way to introduce my nephews/nieces and eventually my kids (who are still scared to ride Woodstock Express) to coasters. 

40 minutes ago, HandsUp said:

Great find on the commercial. Trying to remember what the statues (who moved their arms) said as you rode up the hill. I remember it sounding like, "We will get you!" but not sure

I believe they said "You have entered the forbidden temple... now YOU WILL PAY."

4 hours ago, teenageninja said:

I believe they said "You have entered the forbidden temple... now YOU WILL PAY."

I believe it still says that, or at least is supposed to if everything's working, but you can't hear it over the anti-rollbacks.

14 hours ago, teenageninja said:

This is correct, Also some of the spears are randomly working... Which I've never seen.

The track closed sign is also still infront of the snake tunnel. Most of the new theater lights that were added about a decade ago also aren't working anymore. AE got some money pumped into it when they did all of that but nothing is really working from it. They even briefly had the water trickle back briefly at the top of the 2nd lift hills cauldron.

The final lifthill is a huge letdown for first time riders.   I always thought they should extend the coaster past that point, re theme it with a winter theme to fit Oktoberfest, retheme the trains to Carowinds Goldrusher type trains, and boom they have a brand new family coaster to market with a small investment.

27 minutes ago, super7 said:

The final lifthill is a huge letdown for first time riders.   I always thought they should extend the coaster past that point, re theme it with a winter theme to fit Oktoberfest, retheme the trains to Carowinds Goldrusher type trains, and boom they have a brand new family coaster to market with a small investment.

"Small" except for that bit about extending the track of a coaster built by a now defunct manufacturer that barely rises above the height of the station. ;-)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, super7 said:

The final lifthill is a huge letdown for first time riders.   

Yeah, it's all about expectations vs. reality....The reality is not bad, but when you're expecting another drop it's pretty lame. I'm all for the Bavarian re-theming though.

On July 23, 2018 at 2:06 PM, super7 said:

I think that's because the illusion the ride builds towards (a transition through "lava" to "safety") is no longer effective since the effects are no longer in place. Now the moment builds to nothing. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone remember how Adventure Express used to have the fog, special lights along the course, and sound effects? I remember riding Adventure Express as a kid and having those features really made Adventure Express really fun! I love how they kept the theme going in the last tunnel. It's not a let down to me at all. As a kid when you're riding it, you're scared. When you're an adult, I can see where some people feel that last tunnel is a let down. It still doesn't bother me any.

• Like 4

Anyone remember how Adventure Express used to have the fog, special lights along the course, and sound effects? I remember riding Adventure Express as a kid and having those features really made Adventure Express really fun! I love how they kept the theme going in the last tunnel. It's not a let down to me at all. As a kid when you're riding it, you're scared. When you're an adult, I can see where some people feel that last tunnel is a let down. It still doesn't bother me any.

I also remember it running 3 trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

One thing that bugs me is that in many of the reviews / POV videos I find, they always state it was themed to Indiana Jones originally.  Even though Paramount owned the park, they did not have the rights to that property, Lucasfilm did.  So they may have played some of the John Williams score, and perhaps leaned on the Temple of Doom aesthetic when designing it, but it was never an "official" IJ themed coaster.

That being said, I love the ride and cannot wait to ride it with my 8 year old!

• Like 2

@Shawn Meyer, many of the effects are still there.  The lights seems to come and go.  The fog is gone.  The jungle noises are still there out of the station.  The creaking noises are still on the lift hill.  I wish they would bring back the wind sound effects in the tunnels.  The spears still work, but I normally sit in the back seat so I dont see them often.  I wish they would spruce this ride up, but commend them for what they have done.

• Like 4