Kings Island closes early (7/10/18) due to “suspicious item” found

BoddaH1994

25 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

On topic: Would you not want KI to error on the side of caution no matter what it "looked like."

No.  Although this looks like a Mason Police overreaction more than a KI one. 

I am much more concerned about the yahoo with his phone out on Diamondback than some basic firecracker or even small package outside the perimeter of the park.   We know from employee posts park policy is not to stop the ride due to a phone out situation.   They already do not error on the side of caution.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

No.  Although this looks like a Mason Police overreaction more than a KI one. 

I am much more concerned about the yahoo with his phone out on Diamondback than some basic firecracker or even small package outside the perimeter of the park.   We know from employee posts park policy is not to stop the ride due to a phone out situation.   They already do not error on the side of caution.  

Or the dude that lit up a cigarette going up the Diamondback lift hill on Saturday - they stopped for that and that should be immediate toss and ban but I bet the ride came back into the station without any security called...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JAHill said:

Ugh! I can't believe a nightly fireworks display got cancelled because the authorities were making sure what could have very well been a bomb wasn't gonna blow up somewhere on the park perimeter!

This MUST be the reason for the drop in ATTENDANCE!

It was probably in something that looked suspicious... they regularly patrol with bomb dogs and one probably hit at something the fire cracker was inside. Could have just been a box or a bag, but it's not like the dog can tell them it's only 1 small firecracker.

At least I hope this is the case...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kifan91 said:

With the way things are you can never be to careful 

What “way things are”? 

58 minutes ago, JubJester said:

^ That's what I was about to say. I remember they had a dog at The Reds game sniff a bag that was left by a family under their seats. You can never be too safe.

I philosophically disagree with this and believe you can be to safe or careful.   Especially over things like bomb threats, terrorism and being thrown from a coaster but not more statistically significant issues like drunk driving or a poisoned environment.  

Yeah, whoever acted as the police spokesperson and gave them this press release should have maybe gave a bit more details. But it's not a huge deal because it happened at the end of the day. What if this had happened at 3pm? 

There is a big difference between we found a box that contained a left over firecracker, vs. we just found a firecracker.

3 hours ago, Fye Coasters said:

how was this a double post sorry still kinda new here...

Use this button (mobile at least) to quote from more than one post. Just click (or tap) it on each post you want to quote. You will then see an image at the bottom right that asks if you want to quote them. 

Just trying to help. 

20180711_172624.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAHill said:

Ugh! I can't believe a nightly fireworks display got cancelled because the authorities were making sure what could have very well been a bomb wasn't gonna blow up somewhere on the park perimeter!

I must’ve missed where anyone was whining about that. That being said, not everyone can afford season passes to get there nightly and for some a once a summer visit is all they get, so yeah, I can understand how some people would be disappointed they were canceled.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

What “way things are”? 

I philosophically disagree with this and believe you can be to safe or careful.   Especially over things like bomb threats, terrorism and being thrown from a coaster but not more statistically significant issues like drunk driving or a poisoned environment.  

I find it interesting you say this when earlier you were worried about someone with a phone out on a ride - statistically phones are dropped and stuff flies out of peoples pockets all the time on rides without injuring someone and maybe that is why the park doesn't enforce it as much because statistically someone being injured doesn't happen much...just look at the Diamondback bin of lost phones or all the phones and stuff retrieved from ride lock out zones every night without someone being injured... Just because statistically the odds are low doesn't mean one shouldn't prepare...

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

I completely understand that and agree. I think I should of worded that better. If theres a threat, it's going to looked at. Obviously they're not going to look deeply into every single car that enters KI.

More details: The bag at the game was there for several innings, that's why it was searched. 

Edit: If they closed the park early or not, theres going to be people whining no matter what if this story still got out. 

• Like 2

@disco2000 And when was the last time a bomb went off at an amusement park?  However something went wizzing past my head last night on Blue Streak and it was bigger than a mayfly. 

Just think as a society we overreact to the odd backpack or shoebox laying around. A large percentage of this nation lives in constant fear of Terrorism when statistically it just doesn’t add up.  

I bet we could pick an random day and go on a “suspicious item” hunt actually in the park and get it shut down.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I bet we could pick an random day and go on a “suspicious item” hunt actually in the park and get it shut down.  :rolleyes:

Just check around Mystic, Banshee, Firehawk / Flight of Fear for those things that people will not buy a locker for.  LOL :lol:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

@disco2000 And when was the last time a bomb went off at an amusement park?  However something went wizzing past my head last night on Blue Streak and it was bigger than a mayfly. 

Just think as a society we overreact to the odd backpack or shoebox laying around. A large percentage of this nation lives in constant fear of Terrorism when statistically it just doesn’t add up.  

When was the last time the Boston Marathon was bombed before the Boston Marathon was bombed? I don’t think it was much of an overreaction, to be honest. It’s always nice to be aware of things that might kill you. 

The only thing that should be killing us  at the park is the food quality/pricing. Ammiright? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, beastfan11 said:

The only thing that should be killing us  at the park is the food quality/pricing. Ammiright? 

And dehydration becuase the Rivertown Freestyle is closed most of the time, there is always at least 20 minute wait at Ice Scream in Action Zone and no drink plan options in X-Base.  :lol:

And more people are exponentially killled by gun violence than any kind of bombings or other acts of terrorism but “now” is never the time to talk about it.  

I am much more concerned about a trunk full of 4K rounds of ammo in the KI parking lot than even a 1 cubic foot block of C-4 sitting outside the perimeter of KI.  But that’s just me.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

And dehydration becuase the Rivertown Freestyle is closed most of the time, there is always at least 20 minute wait at Ice Scream in Action Zone and no drink plan options in X-Base.  :lol:

And more people are exponentially killled by gun violence than any kind of bombings or other acts of terrorism but “now” is never the time to talk about it.  

I am much more concerned about a trunk full of 4K rounds of ammo in the KI parking lot than even a 1 cubic foot block of C-4 sitting outside the perimeter of KI.  But that’s just me.  

I'm with you on this, gun violence is much more prominent than bombings. However being cautious isn't a bad thing, I don't think that they overreacted to this but they need to get their crap together on an evac plan to keep people safe. I read MULTIPLE reports that they closed rides at 9:30 but all shops stayed open??? If you want people to get out and be safe you shouldn't be concerned with having shops open to make money when there is a potential threat.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, King Ding Dong said:

Why don't you get a job for the bomb squad then, since you are so brave?

11 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Why don't you get a job for the bomb squad then, since you are so brave?

Didn’t claim I was brave but not a bad idea.   However being color blind kind of disqualifies me jobs like that and a lot of others.   I need help crimping a RJ45 on the end of a network cable.  

I think you are missing my point.  When we as a society overreact the (terrorists, pranksters or whatever) win.  We are so hyper focused on stuff like this while our children get slaughtered in schools but there is apparently nothing we can about that.  

• Like 1