Steel Vengeance no longer allows cell phones on the ride or in line with you

Cedar Point recently announced that you are no longer allowed to take cell phones on to Steel Vengeance, even if they are secured in a pocket. You are also no longer allowed to take cell phones in line with you. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The policy will annoy lots of enthusiasts who know how to use zipper pockets, myself included. Beats taking someone else's phone at 70mph, though!

I suspect that this will deter some people from riding, faced with the prospect of going screen-free for 90+ minutes.

• Like 5

I will never, ever pay for a locker just to ride a roller coaster. If there is not a free locker system (like Universal) or a non-rider in the group that I can leave my phone with, then I will be that non-rider, even if it means not getting the credit.

What about people who have a job where they are on call 24/7 and are required by their employer to be able to answer their phone immediately or return any missed call within X minutes, regardless of what they are doing? I know at least one person bound to a requirement like that. Such people are now essentially banned from Steel Vengeance. Ridiculous.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Honorarius said:

Why ban phones and not other items??? If I put my keys in my pocket and they come out, I've got 4 keys, a fob, and a screw-lock carabiner... That's not exactly gonna enhance the ride experience of whomever it hits...

Oh it will get there...give them time...they are also trying to enforce something similar at KD Twisted Timbers...  Let's face it we all knew this was a possibility thanks to a few people not following the rules.  And if violations still occur, metal detectors at rides will be next...

• Like 1

Cedar Point has a roaming ride locker rental this season for ~$10, which is sure to become a lot more popular now.

The locker bank at Magnum was sold out by the evening of my last visit, when the park was only moderately busy. I suspect that there will be a line to rent a ride locker at SV on many days.

38 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

I will never, ever pay for a locker just to ride a roller coaster. If there is not a free locker system (like Universal) or a non-rider in the group that I can leave my phone with, then I will be that non-rider, even if it means not getting the credit.

In an ideal world, this policy would come with a single rider line.

• Like 1

I like that they are trying to prevent someone from being injured but come on. This is ridiculous I know how to secure my phone in a zipped pocket. My biggest grip about it is if there is a emergency back home with my son or something of that nature. I would hate to be in line for 2 hours when I could be needed for a potential emergency.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

*checking eBay to research the market for used iPod Touches*

*checking Kickstarter to see if that shoe phone is still happening*.  Dang, looks like I missed it by that much.  

And an iPod touch would be allowed why?  I know/hope your comment is being sarcastic because the SV sign specifically says no cell phones...so if you take your SIM card out of your mobile device is it no longer a phone?

• Haha 1

I can completely understand why this rule was put in place. Getting hit by a phone at 70 miles an hour would not be very pleasant. It’s a shame that a few people who chose to not follow the rules caused this to be put in place.
Our society today has gotten so dependent on having cell phones. And I’m not afraid to admit that I spend a lot of time on my phone every day. But I would never ever pull my phone out while on a ride. It’s just not worth possibly losing it or injuring somebody. If I were ever hit by a phone on a ride, I would want the person to be held liable and suffer the consequences.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pianoman said:

I can completely understand why this rule was put in place. Getting hit by a phone at 70 miles an hour would not be very pleasant. It’s a shame that a few people who chose to not follow the rules caused this to be put in place.
Our society today has gotten so dependent on having cell phones. And I’m not afraid to admit that I spend a lot of time on my phone every day. But I would never ever pull my phone out while on a ride. It’s just not worth possibly losing it or injuring somebody. If I were ever hit by a phone on a ride, I would want the person to be held liable and suffer the consequences.

I agree, just a shame it had to come to this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pianoman said:

Too bad on the Twisted Timbers incident the dude got his cell phone back and walked away before anyone got his name, etc...hard for him to be held personally liable...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And an iPod touch would be allowed why?  I know/hope your comment is being sarcastic because the SV sign specifically says no cell phones...so if you take your SIM card out of your mobile device is it no longer a phone?

The sign specifically says cell phones, an iPod Touch is neither.   It has no interaction with the cellular towers and has no phone functionality.   If you take a SIM out it may no longer function as a cell phone but still has the radios so is just a non functioning cell phone.

As best I can tell my Pet Rock is still allowed in my pocket.  

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

The sign specifically says cell phones, an iPod Touch is neither.   It has no interaction with the cellular towers and has no phone functionality.   If you take a SIM out it may no longer function as a cell phone but still has the radios so is just a non functioning cell phone.

As best I can tell my Pet Rock is still allowed in my pocket.  

iPod Touch can connect to park wifi to FB live your POV ride:P

As for now your Pet Rock is allowed lol.  Actually until they figure it out, similar to KD, unless you have your phone out going into the line or they see it out in the line it can probably be in your pocket.  I guess we will need to see if anyone at CP reports back how they are actually enforcing.  I believe right now it is self policing like most the other rules...

• Like 1

Six Flags Great Adventure uses this policy for El Toro, Kingda Ka, and Joker.  The ops at the line entrance would have you both show your pockets to them and if you have cargo shorts, have you pat yourself down.  They were actually quite effective in spotting phones, I have to admit.  

SIX does $1 lockers near all those rides as well.  

NJFTP doesn't let you have anything in your pocket though... CP is just going after phones...

Is the problem objects in general coming out of pockets on the ride, phones coming out of pockets on the ride, or people taking their phones out on the ride???

If this is their solution to objects coming out of pockets, it's a poor one... 

If this is their solution to people taking their phones out on the ride, it's a poor one...

2 hours ago, Honorarius said:

NJFTP doesn't let you have anything in your pocket though... CP is just going after phones...

Is the problem objects in general coming out of pockets on the ride, phones coming out of pockets on the ride, or people taking their phones out on the ride???

If this is their solution to objects coming out of pockets, it's a poor one... 

If this is their solution to people taking their phones out on the ride, it's a poor one...

Unfortunately lots of stuff coming out - basically anything in a back pocket is fair game to be tossed - phones/wallets/etc.  Lots of wallets have been lost despite Velcro back pockets!  Maybe this is baby steps in the big picture to address it and will get more stringent as time goes on.

I think the ride ops are going to hear a lot of "I could have my phone with me last time I rode it"...(cross threading from the yelling at ride ops thread number one complaint with kids measurements)

In my opinion, this is putting a full body cast on a papercut.  I agree that they need to be more proactive with loose articles, cell phones in particular, but this is a little harsh.  I have ridden many rides with my phone in my pocket and never have had a problem.  I do get a little disgusted when I get on a coaster and I see 3 phone pop out on the lift hill.  Cameras on the lift hill and a security guard at the exit would self police this very quickly.  The cameras can be very inexpensive and can be installed quickly.  The security wouldn't need to be there long, either take the phone that was out for the rest of the day and return it to them when they leave, or remove them from the park.  A couple of these happen, the word will get around and will take care of the issue.  I prefer to have my phone with me in line, not that I need it, but it is nice to pass time while waiting.  I don't wear a watch either, so it is nice to keep up with time since there are very few clocks if any to be found in the park.  (There may be, but with a phone or watch, I would never search for them) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Just curious as to how a phone is a medical device 

A phone may not be a medical device on its own, but maybe a rider would have an app on the phone that syncs with a device such as an insulin pump, and they'd need to access said app at all times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

A phone may not be a medical device on its own, but maybe a rider would have an app on the phone that syncs with a device such as an insulin pump, and they'd need to access said app at all times.

In my case, all my ICE numbers are on my phone and my health can take a nose dive in the blink of an eye on a whim. 

• Like 3

As a usually single rider, the inability to entertain myself on my phone in a multi-hour line has completely removed the urge to make any attempt to visit Sandusky this year.

I've heard so many great things about Steel Vengeance, I had been considering trying to get up there this fall, and stay at the Breakers no less, for my husband's and my 20th anniversary. He's not into coasters, so I would be standing in line alone most likely. 

It is extremely irritating to me, because if they bothered to be hard nosed against people who take out their phones on rides (removal from the park, or at the very least having security waiting for them at the exit to have a little talk), they wouldn't have to ban cell phones in the queues from people like me who secure my phone in a closed pocket on rides religiously. But if they don't want my money so they can make a few extra bucks on lockers, so be it *shrugs*

• Like 4

I like the idea of putting pouches on the trains similar to what Tomb Raider/Crypt had.  Maybe even an advanced version that locked upon dispatch and wouldn't unlock til back to the station.  Then you just have a sign with a pouch saying if your items do not fit within this pouch you may not proceed past this point,  items larger must be placed within a locker before entering line.  In future train designs manufacturers could create little glove compartments to hold your smaller items, phone, keys, wallet, etc.   Then add to that enforce the rules more ruthlessly.  If someone disregards the loose article policy kick them out of the park without question and ban them upon secondary offenses.  Perhaps even go to legislature to create large fines for those breaking the rules perhaps even creating law (if it doesn't exist already) that a rider that disobeys loose item policies may face charges for assault or worse if their item injures another rider. 

• Like 2