Jump to content
Fye Coasters

iPhone or Android

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone just curious in what everyone uses to take the amazing photos and videos we all love of the coasters and parks. I currently have a iPhone X looking to see what everyone else uses. 

 

Thanks,
Josh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a die hard Samsung guy but my wife got me to switch to and iPhone a few years ago.  I do like the fact they seem faster and things just work.  I had an iPhone 7Plus and upgrade to the X.  My X went into the washer for about 5 minutes and it killed it :( .  Now I have a only 6s until the next one comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I was a die hard Samsung guy but my wife got me to switch to and iPhone a few years ago.  I do like the fact they seem faster and things just work.  I had an iPhone 7Plus and upgrade to the X.  My X went into the washer for about 5 minutes and it killed it :( .  Now I have a only 6s until the next one comes out.

Yeah I hear ya, I love my X thats what i use to run my youtube channel and make all my videos! and apple is just simple i mean it just works lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Galaxy S8+ and love it.  My wife swears by her Motorola.  The main reason we stay away from apple is it's much better to have an external SD card to capture everything to.  Both of our phones save straight to our SD Cards (64gig) and if we run out of space (takes some time unless she is videoing the grandchildren), we can just swap in new cards and keep the old ones for archival purposes.  Lastly in case of the phone being damaged or if it stops working completely we can get to the last video/pictures we took even if we were not in a mobile data or wi-fi zone just by retrieving it from the SD card..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iPhone X here. 

Android user for 10 years but woke up one morning and wanted a change, so I got the 6s. Been through 6s/7/X since then. I used to like all the customization and so on of Android, but as I get older that has mattered less to me. The fact that almost everyone I interact with has an iPhone makes built in things like iMessage, FaceTime, AirDrop have a huge value to me.

Theres a ton of stuff that I liked better about Android, but not enough to draw me back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Why did you not create an actual poll in your thread?

I was more curious to hear peoples thoughts and reason instead of just picking one, so i didnt now where this would fit in, so i found polls and thought, hmmmm that would be a good place....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, this is an interesting topic...

I have a Samsung Note 5 as my phone, but I also have an iPod Touch that I use for music and some Web Browsing. Besides using my iPod for music (I don't have any music on my Samsung phone), I really like surfing the Web on Safari as I feel it has a pretty clean layout/setup compared to the standard "Internet" app that comes with the Samsung Smartphones (also, there's a separate list that pops at that you can scroll through instead of using a site's native drop-down menu, which is pretty sweet!). On the other hand, I prefer the Google Play Store to the iOS app store. Also, there is iMessage, which is unique, but it only works with other Apple devices, and therefore, you can only communicate with those who have an Apple device (and I don't know a lot of people with said devices). A final strike against the iPod is that I have limited space, so I have to pick and choose what music I can put on there (not a huge deal, since I figured out how to have everything put on iTunes and I can just rotate out music whenever I want) And as I final note, I have Pokemon Go on my Samsung phone as it's hard to use on the iPod (as the screen is too small and PoGo only works with WifI, I think?). So, there are definitely pros and cons to each brand.

TLDR: I have both an Apple product and Samsung product and there are pros and cons to having each device.

EDIT: Oh, and my pics are from my phone; I don't think I've taken a single pic (except for maybe the accidental screenshot and maybe some when I first got it) with my iPod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

So, this is an interesting topic...

I have a Samsung Note 5 as my phone, but I also have an iPod Touch that I use for music and some Web Browsing. Besides using my iPod for music (I don't have any music on my Samsung phone), I really like surfing the Web on Safari as I feel it has a pretty clean layout/setup compared to the standard "Internet" app that comes with the Samsung Smartphones (also, there's a separate list that pops at that you can scroll through instead of using a site's native drop-down menu, which is pretty sweet!). On the other hand, I prefer the Google Play Store to the iOS app store. Also, there is iMessage, which is unique, but it only works with other Apple devices, and therefore, you can only communicate with those who have an Apple device (and I don't know a lot of people with said devices). A final strike against the iPod is that I have limited space, so I have to pick and choose what music I can put on there (not a huge deal, since I figured out how to have everything put on iTunes and I can just rotate out music whenever I want) And as I final note, I have Pokemon Go on my Samsung phone as it's hard to use on the iPod (as the screen is too small and PoGo only works with WifI, I think?). So, there are definitely pros and cons to each brand.

TLDR: I have both an Apple product and Samsung product and there are pros and cons to having each device.

EDIT: Oh, and my pics are from my phone; I don't think I've taken a single pic (except for maybe the accidental screenshot and maybe some when I first got it) with my iPod.

Awesome thank you for your input!! I agree with all of those. Also, i have the 256gig iphone X and 2 t of cloud storage so i never run out of space. However i understand all the micro sd features as i know thats the cheaper option if you look at the month to month. Im not sure i love my iPhone but same time i miss Android. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, Fye Coasters said:

Awesome thank you for your input!! I agree with all of those. Also, i have the 256gig iphone X and 2 t of cloud storage so i never run out of space. However i understand all the micro sd features as i know thats the cheaper option if you look at the month to month. Im not sure i love my iPhone but same time i miss Android. :D 

Back when I had a Galaxy S5 I lost it. It was returned to me with the memory card stolen out of it. I didn’t face anything sensitive on it, but that’s because I had just wiped it and started it over. It was at that point that I realized the benefit of not having removable storage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

That was probably before auto backups to cloud storage. 

Does iPhone do that too?

Yeah.  The iPhone backs up everything. 

I didn't lose anything with that incident, but I remember that I had just cleared out the memory card of things like tax documents that I had filed a few months before, which could have put me in a compromising position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chiming in here, but started out on iPhone and ended up at Android. I guess it matters only to the person's habits but for me, I use MacBook Air for work/home and Android on Google Project Fi for mobile operations. Google's Cloud server just rocks.

Funny tho....I never use Safari on MB and rely only on Chrome. Again, Google just works and is seamless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Android hands down. No contest. There are so many things you can do on Android that just aren't possible with the hilariously locked-down iOS devices. The biggest for me is Tasker. I tinker with Tasker all the time, and have it set to automatically turn my Wi-Fi on when I get home (or a few other places where I have the Wi-Fi password) and turn it off when I leave. It's also programmed to put my phone on vibrate when I get to a few defined places (like my college campus) and re-enables the ringer when I leave, puts the phone on Do Not Disturb mode while driving, and disables the screen timeout while certain apps are in the foreground. You can't do that stuff on Crapple devices, and that's just the basic stuff. You can do far more complex things as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

Android hands down. No contest. There are so many things you can do on Android that just aren't possible with the hilariously locked-down iOS devices. The biggest for me is Tasker. I tinker with Tasker all the time, and have it set to automatically turn my Wi-Fi on when I get home (or a few other places where I have the Wi-Fi password) and turn it off when I leave. It's also programmed to put my phone on vibrate when I get to a few defined places (like my college campus) and re-enables the ringer when I leave, puts the phone on Do Not Disturb mode while driving, and disables the screen timeout while certain apps are in the foreground. You can't do that stuff on Crapple devices, and that's just the basic stuff. You can do far more complex things as well.

I get what you're saying, but with ios 12 coming out Siri can now do all of that with a simple phrase "siri im at college" then boom, wifi turns on, phone turns to silent etc.. I get what you mean though, i miss some of those little things trust me, but my biggest thing was, my note 5 kept lagging sooooo bad, i have had my iphone for some time now and i have not had any problems with it what so ever! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fye Coasters said:

I get what you're saying, but with ios 12 coming out Siri can now do all of that with a simple phrase "siri im at college" then boom, wifi turns on, phone turns to silent etc.. 

They are finally adding that? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2018 at 12:02 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Back when I had a Galaxy S5 I lost it. It was returned to me with the memory card stolen out of it. I didn’t face anything sensitive on it, but that’s because I had just wiped it and started it over. It was at that point that I realized the benefit of not having removable storage.

Just encrypt the phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fye Coasters said:

I get what you're saying, but with ios 12 coming out Siri can now do all of that with a simple phrase "siri im at college" then boom, wifi turns on, phone turns to silent etc.. I get what you mean though, i miss some of those little things trust me, but my biggest thing was, my note 5 kept lagging sooooo bad, i have had my iphone for some time now and i have not had any problems with it what so ever! 

Not even remotely the same. That still requires you to pull out your phone every time you get to or leave one of the those locations and explicitly perform an action to do so, at which point you might as well forget it and do it manually in the first place. Tasker detects your location, Bluetooth connectivity, when you open an app, and much, much more, and does everything 100% automatically without you even having to think of it, which is the entire point (because you might forget to turn your Wi-Fi on when you get home if you're tired and have stuff to carry in, or you might forget to silence your phone when you get to college because you're late and rushing to get to class on time).

Also, I have the Google Pixel 2, and have never had any lag issues with either it or the Pixel 1 that I previously had. Samsung loads so much junk on their phones and modifies the UI to the point that IMO they barely deserve to be called Android. I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 and didn't care for it. The stock Android experience on the Pixel series is orders of magnitude better than Samsung's crap. The Pixel (and the Nexus before it) is the equivalent to the iPhone in the sense that both are designed by the same company that makes the operating system as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Every Samsung device I have owned always had its quirks and the device just never worked 100% and after a few months of usuage something would always break.  Bluetooth radio, charge port it didnt matter it was always something.


This is what drove me from Android. None of Android phones would survive the full 2 years. The last 6 months were always tough with multiple restarts needed daily. So that’s the first issue.

The second was about trade in value at the end of 2 years. Android phones aren’t worth anything, because they bring out new phones every month or two.

Wife trades in iPhone in good shape, gets about $300. I trade it Android phone in great shape and it might be worth $100 if I’m lucky. With what smartphones cost now, that is pathetic. I’d rather have the device that’s worth more in the end. I’ll pocket the extra cash instead of wasting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

 


This is what drove me from Android. None of Android phones would survive the full 2 years. The last 6 months were always tough with multiple restarts needed daily. So that’s the first issue.

The second was about trade in value at the end of 2 years. Android phones aren’t worth anything, because they bring out new phones every month or two.

Wife trades in iPhone in good shape, gets about $300. I trade it Android phone in great shape and it might be worth $100 if I’m lucky. With what smartphones cost now, that is pathetic. I’d rather have the device that’s worth more in the end. I’ll pocket the extra cash instead of wasting it.

 

I could not agree more! I traded in my iphone 7 plus towards my X and got $500 for it my wife traded hr 6s plus and got $400 for it, so we hardly had to pay anything for new phones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I traded in my Pixel 1 toward a Pixel 2 just a couple months ago and got $325 credit for it through Verizon, cutting the cost of my Pixel 2 in half. With that credit, I'm paying less than $14/month on the Pixel 2. Flagship model lines will always be worth more than anything else. For Android phones, that's the Samsung Galaxy and Galaxy Note series and the Google Pixel series. Those will carry good resale value into the next few years, especially if you pay attention to carrier promotions (which you often have to go into the store and ask about, as I did to get that $325 credit). All other Android phones have basically no resale value the moment you buy it. Like anything else, you have to know the market and watch for opportunities to take advantage.

EDIT: Also, iPhones may carry a little higher resale value, but they also cost more than most Android phones to begin with (which is WHY they have more resale value; a two-year-old BMW is going to be worth more than a two-year-old Kia, right?). It's not about the resale value alone; it's about the net price of the new phone after the trade-in or resale value is deducted, i.e. what you're ultimately paying for that new phone. $325 for my Pixel 2, the current flagship of Android itself, is a pretty good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×