iPhone or Android

Fye Coasters

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, jcgoble3 said:

I traded in my Pixel 1 toward a Pixel 2 just a couple months ago and got $325 credit for it through Verizon, cutting the cost of my Pixel 2 in half. With that credit, I'm paying less than $14/month on the Pixel 2. Flagship model lines will always be worth more than anything else. For Android phones, that's the Samsung Galaxy and Galaxy Note series and the Google Pixel series. Those will carry good resale value into the next few years, especially if you pay attention to carrier promotions (which you often have to go into the store and ask about, as I did to get that $325 credit). All other Android phones have basically no resale value the moment you buy it. Like anything else, you have to know the market and watch for opportunities to take advantage.

EDIT: Also, iPhones may carry a little higher resale value, but they also cost more than most Android phones to begin with (which is WHY they have more resale value; a two-year-old BMW is going to be worth more than a two-year-old Kia, right?). It's not about the resale value alone; it's about the net price of the new phone after the trade-in or resale value is deducted, i.e. what you're ultimately paying for that new phone. $325 for my Pixel 2, the current flagship of Android itself, is a pretty good deal.

I'm ok with being a model behind on phones.  So, I have a Pixel XL.  Maybe I'll get the XL2 down the road. I use Total Wireless as my carrier (runs on Verizon towers).  Great phone on great service for $35/month and I can go to another carrier at will if and when I want to.  Much better than when I was paying $80/month on a contract.

• Like 1

I traded in my Pixel 1 toward a Pixel 2 just a couple months ago and got $325 credit for it through Verizon, cutting the cost of my Pixel 2 in half. With that credit, I'm paying less than $14/month on the Pixel 2. Flagship model lines will always be worth more than anything else. For Android phones, that's the Samsung Galaxy and Galaxy Note series and the Google Pixel series. Those will carry good resale value into the next few years, especially if you pay attention to carrier promotions (which you often have to go into the store and ask about, as I did to get that $325 credit). All other Android phones have basically no resale value the moment you buy it. Like anything else, you have to know the market and watch for opportunities to take advantage.
EDIT: Also, iPhones may carry a little higher resale value, but they also cost more than most Android phones to begin with (which is WHY they have more resale value; a two-year-old BMW is going to be worth more than a two-year-old Kia, right?). It's not about the resale value alone; it's about the net price of the new phone after the trade-in or resale value is deducted, i.e. what you're ultimately paying for that new phone. $325 for my Pixel 2, the current flagship of Android itself, is a pretty good deal.

I figure most will find this interesting. The killer here is, Android phones continue to plummet in value. The Pixel 2 has lost 75% of its value since release. The original MSRP on the Pixel 2 is $749.00. The reality is, they are selling it for less because of its age, not the device price itself.

Here’s the article. https://bgr.com/2018/09/06/iphone-x-vs-iphone-xs-price-value-release-date/
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

I figure most will find this interesting. The killer here is, Android phones continue to plummet in value. The Pixel 2 has lost 75% of its value since release. The original MSRP on the Pixel 2 is $749.00. The reality is, they are selling it for less because of its age, not the device price itself.

Here’s the article. https://bgr.com/2018/09/06/iphone-x-vs-iphone-xs-price-value-release-date/

Yepp another thing i dont miss about Android is the resale values 

I use android phone for calls, used to have iPod, I like both os's as 64bit chipset iOS devices can be customized if you do some digging and android can be customized right out of the box. I don't like that I can't fully turn some apps off in android or disable them without rooting or SU privileges, also when my other android broke the micro sd card had a symbolic link to that phone where my card now sometimes acts funny in other devices or phones, btw my android is just a prepaid from grocery store. However my photos from my uploads are mostly from a Kodak Touch digital camera.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpclK said:

I don't like that I can't fully turn some apps off in android or disable them without rooting or SU privileges

Pixel phones allow you to uninstall anything that isn't necessary for Android to run, including preinstalled apps. And yes, that includes the (minimal) bloatware that Verizon adds to their version of the Pixels.

• Like 2

There are so many factors that come into play other than just initial price and resale value.  Longevity, interoperability with other devices, investment in the ecosystem, repairability, battery life, size, rooting ability, carrier compatibility, carrier controlled updates, etc.  

I personally don’t use my phone for many activities unless I am truely mobile such as at a park and use my iPad instead 95% of the time.  I don’t want to lug around a phablet in my pocket as it still is not as good an experience as an 10” screen.  In this age of no landlines one feature I really like is the ability to make and receive calls on the iPad and switch between the two on the fly in a very seamless manner.  I think Apple calls this “handoff”.  

Do Android phones and tablets have this same functionality?  If so I would consider switching in the future but so far have been very pleased with th longevity of the Apple products. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, kingsislandfan1972 said:

I thought having an IPhone would be a good idea but now that I’ve had one for half a year now, I now realize that they aren’t as great as people put them out to be. Next month I’m getting a new phone which means anything but an IPhone, worst decision of my life.

Yeah I love my iPhone though does all i need it to. I miss Android at times though lol 

For those with Lightning cable troubles I highly recommend spending the extra money on Anker Powerline cables.  They are frequently on sale at Amazon or you can order direct.  Anker has excellent customer service and usually responds within a few hours.  

The Powerline and Powerline+ (braided) carry an 18 month warranty.  The Powerline II and Powerline+II carry a lifetime.   Submitting a claim online is easy and they may request a photo of the broken cable.  If they want it returned they will provide a paid shipping label.  They didn’t want them returned on a claim I submitted recently for 3 pack of basic 3’ Powerline I purchased 15 months ago that eventually failed. 

Recently upgraded most of our cables to Powerline+ II as the boys are very rough on them.  I also have some of 10’ cables for the couch and bed and they supply a full 2.38 A to the iPad (1.5A for phone) which is extremely rare for any long cable I have ever had.  

With all the devices a family of 4 has i invested $12 in a USB meter a few years ago to troubleshoot cables.   And yes even micro USB cables fail or seriously degrade performance sometimes.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Pixel 3 last week and like it so far. I'm happy with the 5" display size, OLED panel, IP68 rating, really good camera, unlockable bootloader, flagship processor (Snapdragon 845) and loud speakers.

As for Android Pie, the gesture button is much nicer to use than software buttons. It's enough of an improvement that I no longer miss physical buttons. I also like the Now Playing feature, which automatically displays and logs nearby music using a local database whenever the phone is turned on.

The negatives are the lack of a headphone jack, battery life that could be better (I get about 26 hours), no expandable storage (though unlimited Google Drive storage for Pixel 3 photos/videos taken before 2022 somewhat makes it for it), and a very easy-to-scratch glass back.

The 5W limit on Qi charging doesn't really bother me; I usually use a 2W charger to preserve the battery.

• Like 1

@malem Assuming 5V that equates to 400mAh.  Where do you find such a thing?

The headphone jack think kind of bothered me a first with the i7 but my ears can only handle buds for 20 minutes or so before they drive me nuts.  I have full BT cans I use with the TVs and PC that use the aptX LL codec for sync issues so just use those most of the time.  Once paired they connect backup easily and I really do like not having the darn cord.  The cans are good enough I can’t tell a difference between wired and BT, but I am no audiophile.  

In all cases I would take a few mm thicker phone for better battery life. 

Unfortunately looks like Google is doing evil again and following Apple down the proprietary road with the Pixel 3 and wireless charging.  
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/drm-for-chargers-google-pixel-3-locks-fast-qi-charging-to-its-own-79-stand/

Apple doesn’t have proprietary wireless charging. Their devices fit the Qi standard. There’s a reason they still charge, since air power was never released and by the sounds of things, may never be.

This is Google on their own power trip.

I didnt mean to imply that Apple uses proprietary wireless charging.   They do however have a totaly ridiculous wired proprietary scam.  

After the 30th, we’ll see if that “scam” still stands. I think they were ahead of their time. They wanted unisex plugs and cords before USB-C was even a thought. Had they played it right, they probably could’ve gotten everyone to use lightning instead of USB-C.

This harkens back to the first home video standard of Sony Betamax vs VHS. It was a harsh lesson for Sony to learn. I’m just glad they got it right the second time in BluRay vs HD-DVD.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, malem said:

That was a typo. 5A.

Most modern phones won't charge effectively (if at all) below 2A.

5V 5A is 25 Watts, that is no slow charge and is approaching small laptop levels.  

Can’t speak to android but iPhones will charge just fine down to 500mAh or .5A   The original spec for USB 2.0 only required 500mAh and that is what most basic computer ports output.  Up until the at least the iPhone 8 the little white cube shipped in the box only outputs 1A.  Several of my smaller power banks only output 1A and even one of my big 20,000 mAh ones has a 1A port..

thank you everyone for your input. its crazy that we really "can't" live without smartphones now days

Some of us “can”. If you’re in the panhandle of Florida right now, you might have one, but it’s doubtful it works consistently.

Always have a backup communications plan. Most don’t understand that in reality the cellular grids are about as fragile as the power grid.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

Some of us “can”. If you’re in the panhandle of Florida right now, you might have one, but it’s doubtful it works consistently.

Always have a backup communications plan. Most don’t understand that in reality the cellular grids are about as fragile as the power grid.

Yeah I agree! It just crazy how tech has took over majority of peoples lives. 

Speaking of tech, I have direct tv, with uverse 45mpbs and it's not near enough to keep up with my household, so I have 1000mbps internet being installed Friday and I need a streaming service. A&E is all I really care about for LIVE PD  Sling work or Philo?

Speaking of tech, I have direct tv, with uverse 45mpbs and it's not near enough to keep up with my household, so I have 1000mbps internet being installed Friday and I need a streaming service. A&E is all I really care about for LIVE PD  Sling work or Philo?

I’d do Philo. We do Hulu & Philo here along with Amazon, Netflix and a SiliconDust HDHOMERUN, and my computer as a Plex server.

My question would be, are you sure it’s your internet and not your router?
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

I’d do Philo. We do Hulu & Philo here along with Amazon, Netflix and a SiliconDust HDHOMERUN, and my computer as a Plex server.

My question would be, are you sure it’s your internet and not your router?

We have Netflix, and I just need A&E, though I run all my media through Xbox one and I know there is no Philo App, but did read there is another app to stream Philo through?? And Philo is ($ cheaper then Sling...   And My internet and router are fine, but 45 is max I can get through ATT and Have 10 devices streaming at once all the time

Jeez, maybe I shouldn't be a crybaby about 45 down 12 up... I  pay 110$ a month for direct tv with 45 mbps uverse, and for 81 can get 1000mbps DL 40up through xfinity and only live tv I want is A&E.. . but I have at sometimes 7 people in my home... I have 3 xbox ones and a xbox one x going at the same time, plus up to 7 cellphones.. and at 45 it can bog down quick

I have a nintendo classic modded with over 900 games.. know how much that is worth sixohdieselrage? I never play it

• Like 1

I am sure you will love that gigabit pipe but even with all those devices it is still probably overkill and 500Mbps would be more than enough.  What is the UL on that service?   It could come in handy for online backups.  

I rarely can tap out my 100/10 line with WOW and 4 users and need to be pulling down some backups off iCloud servers to do it.  

Suggest a post on r/cordcutters for suggestions on the best boxes for Philo or maybe some hack to run it on an Xbone.  

ATT sends door knockers around every couple of months and they always tell me they just upgraded the fiber to the neighborhood.  When I ask what speed they can offer me they it is always something like 25Mbps.  I try hard not to laugh at them becuase they are trying to do their job

• Haha 1

I would love to live in a less densely populated area as well but there are prices to be paid for that.   I have read articles that available ISPs and plans are becoming nearly as important as school districts and tax rates when people buy a house.  Something elected officials need to pay attention to if they want to keep their jobs.  

Given that molding a NES Classic is fairly easy and the roms are “free” and easily available, the value is mostly in the additional storage and time required to put it together.  It can be done with retropie and raspberry pi as well. 

• Like 2

I'm with you, @sixohdieselrage!  I get about 7-8 down and 1 up.  But I can stream ok most of the time with it.

I have Philo and enjoy it.  I use it on my Roku, but if there is no Philo app available on your platform, you can always download the channel you want and sign into it using your Philo credentials.

• Like 1