Six Flags over Texas/St. Louis

Cmhornblessed

I tried this in another thread but could not get the title to appear right so here is another try.

I am planning on hitting these two parks over the next few weeks. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Has anyone been to either recently?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

I combined your two threads and changed the name. It should be good now.

I have been to Six Flags St. Louis a couple times, though I have yet to make it to Over Texas.

As for St. Louis, The Boss is running very well after the work on it prior to this season. Six Flags doesn't have a great reputation for maintaining wood coasters, so I was more than pleased. You may find that you don't need a full day there, in which case you might want to explore something else in the area. I very highly recommend visiting City Museum if you have time.

• Like 1

Thanks for cleaning it up, and for the insight. We are planning on the museum, Arch, and some other things. We are mostly stopping because we bought passes because they were not that much more than gate price for one day at Texas.

I combined your two threads and changed the name. It should be good now.
I have been to Six Flags St. Louis a couple times, though I have yet to make it to Over Texas.
As for St. Louis, The Boss is running very well after the work on it prior to this season. Six Flags doesn't have a great reputation for maintaining wood coasters, so I was more than pleased. You may find that you don't need a full day there, in which case you might want to explore something else in the area. I very highly recommend visiting City Museum if you have time.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

SFSTL was my home park for the majority of my life so ask away.

I was just there in June but was a really hot day when we went to the dry side so we ended up skipping The Boss.  Good to hear from Malem that it is running better, it used to have a helix at the end that was just to much and kind of ruined it.  

Dont miss American Thunder (GCI) and also Screaming Eagle for its history.

Pandemonium is a fun spinning mouse.  Mr. Freeze is always fun but runs the wrong way now :D.   Batman is another Batman same with Boomerang.  Ninja is a real headbanger except first couple of weeks in the season when the wheels are new, if you like Vortex go for it.  Mine Ride is decent but AE is better.  Skyscreamer is a decent chain swing ride.  The Drop Tower is nothing special.   Xcalibur (if running) is OK.  Tsunami Soaker is a fun Mack water ride and there are water guns for non riders.  (KI really needs one of these).  

If you do the waterpark and like lazy rivers I highly recommend renting a tube for $8 that allows unlimited circuits. The tube can be checked back in when not in use.  I really like the river as it has decent themeing with a couple of waterfalls and non of the ugly primary colored water spout stuff the ones at KI and CP have. 

Best bet on food is JB Smokehouse (beer and mixed drinks) or Moucho Nacho (Hanks).  

A couple of hour stop at Meramec Caverns another hour or so down 44 can be fun or maybe the original Bass Pro Shop in Springfield on the way.  That place is huge.  

City Museum is good but I think the rooftop playground is only open on weekends.  The Zoo is free but parking isn’t.  

If you are passing through STL near rush hour I highly suggest taking the outer loop (270) to I-44 instead of going through downtown it can be a real mess and probably won’t take much longer or actually save time if traffic is bad.  

You probably have SIX season passes but if not I would skip SFSTL and go to SDC instead.  Time Traveler looks awesome.  

Imos Pizza in STL is a unique pie but many including Malem don’t like it and is rather pricey for what you get.  

Edit:  Make sure you get reservations if you want to take the tram up the Arch you usually can’t go same day without them.  

I've been to both, and I echo the advice given here about SFStL.

I've been to SFoT three times, and every time was during the Christmas season. So, take this with a grain of salt...

The park has been decently (but manageably) busy every time I've been. If you can swing it, The Flash Pass isn't a bad idea. You can expect lines for Texas Giant, Titan, Pandemonium, and La Vibora. If Flash Pass isn't an option and you're getting there at opening, I'd honestly head to La Vibora first. It's not the most thrilling ride in the park, but its lowish capacity gives it a constant line. It's decently fun, too. Getting there first may help you beat the crowds. Texas Giant wouldn't be a bad first stop, either, for the same reasons (although TG is definitely thrilling and seems to have better capacity.)

Operations and the park upkeep are pretty good at SFoT. Six Flags gets a lot of flack about operations and allegedly run-down parks in enthusiast circles. There ARE some parks of theirs that fit that mold (SFA, SFMM), but this isn't one of them. It's a pretty park that's generally run well. I've always been impressed.

Food-wise... I can't think of anything exceptional there that wasn't part of the Christmas event. It definitely wasn't bad, but I can't specifically recommend anything.

As far as I'm concerned, Shock Wave (in the back), Runaway Mine Train, Texas Giant, and Titan are the must-dos. Shock Wave has incredibly fun airtime in the back. Runaway Mine Train was Arrow's first non-Disney coaster and is one of their best. Even if you're not big on Arrow rides, it's still a great ride. Texas Giant is the first RMC and is honestly a bit tame compared to the others, but a tame RMC is still a dang good ride. Titan is just fun; while there's not much airtime, there is a lot of speed to enjoy. Until the mid-course brakes, anyway.

Runaway Mountain can be a little nauseating, so be warned: if being on a coaster in the dark with a lot of repetitive turns isn't your thing, you may want to think twice. (I wouldn't compare it to Flight of Fear... Flight of Fear doesn't feel like a lot of helices put together, but that's what Runaway Mountain can feel like. I had friends walk away dizzy. Your mileage may vary.)

I'd like to suggest other things in the area like @King Ding Dong did, but I've never been overwhelmed with excitement by Dallas. (I *have* been overwhelmed by how many annoying u-turns you have to make to get anywhere, though... Haha.)

8 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Edit:  Make sure you get reservations if you want to take the tram up the Arch you usually can’t go same day without them.  

That is very good advice.

We got 11:40am tickets around 11:10am on a Sunday, but we were very lucky. The people behind us in line had to wait until after 4:00pm.

8 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

You probably have SIX season passes but if not I would skip SFSTL and go to SDC instead.  Time Traveler looks awesome.   

Time Traveler is indeed awesome. Ride it several times, as every ride is different. The spinning itself isn't too crazy; I wouldn't worry too much about getting dizzy, if you're sensitive to spinny rides. Thunderation and Outlaw Run are fantastic rides as well.

I would recommend avoiding Thursdays for that park, as those are busier than Mon-Wed or Fri. If you visit between now and this upcoming weekend, the park is open until 10:00pm instead of the usual 7:00pm closing time. (Night rides!)

• Like 3