Cedar Fair Posters with Easter Eggs

I find it hard to believe that King’s Island would let any employee mess with their theming let alone place their own teaser/tribute. Why would it not have been removed after the WCPO report specifically mentions it as a possible teaser? If the park was upset you know it would have been removed that same day. The flowers zoomed in look like fake flowers as well. This definitely seems like a teaser! Great photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

To some degree, I believe ride ops are allowed to add to the theming, yes. For at least two of the places where the name of a ride is written in rocks near the queue (Adventure Express and Vortex) ride ops here on the boards have said their teams were involved in the creation and execution. I also have heard that the flyers of the young man in a hard hat in various places at Mystic Timbers were created and posted by ride ops last year. As long as additions are reasonably themed and respectful, it seems to be policy to let them stand. 

However, and this is a very important point: Ride Ops do not have insider information. They often hear and spread the same rumors as other enthusiasts and GP, but it coming from their lips adds absolutely zero credence. As the fondly missed Terpy would say "those who know don't speak."

So where does that leave us on speculation? As I have written elsewhere recently, when Kings Island begins teasing their next project, there will be no room for discussion of "is this official or just random theming?" There will be signs. Big ones. Obvious ones. Most likely large, literal signs, on the side of a fence, with clearing and construction happening behind it.* 

It will not be theming signs up at Cedar Point. It will not be references to past rides included in the theming of current ones. It will not, for heaven's sake, be elements of a past logo included in an exclusive ride op button that was produced at the beginning of the season (that rumor hadn't made it to these boards yet that I've seen but was a discussion elsewhere online). It won't be part of Haunt or Winterfest theming. It won't be random theming in Tower Gardens.

Maybe some of those things might have more meaning AFTER an initial teasing is made by the park. But when that official tease happens, it will be obvious. It will be unquestionable. No one will argue it isn't a sign or might not be a sign. 

*edited to add: signs like this one:

IMG_4741.JPG

• Like 6

I'm not going to quote your entire post, but shush debbie downer. We can dream can't we? :lol:

Magenta obviously this isn’t happening in 2019 at this point. I wouldn’t expect to see fences and signs until next year. There is already plenty of land cleared so I wouldn’t expect to see “falling trees” at this point (they’ve already been fell). You also didn’t address any of the teasers that are out there or my point about the SOB tribute. Yes rocks in dirt are pretty but they aren’t hinting at anything. KI obviously knows about the Banshee wood and flowers. Why haven’t they been removed if they are getting media inquiries about them?

This is a speculation based on what has been shown. Wonderland had a poster show up last year at Cedar Point so I don’t see how it is unrealistic to think this is some pre construction teasing.

• Like 4

Not to take sides here, but...

It's said often times here that what has happened in the past is not what may happen in the future.

What if this is a new normal for story/placemaking?  What if there is nothing to this but some trolling by the park?  What if this is pointing to some redo?

Only time will tell.  I'm enjoying the ride along the way.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, JubJester said:

If someone is disappointed, that is all their fault. The park has mentioned and spoke about the rumors, and there is nothing besides posters at another park.

So very true!  I have learned to be happy with any new attraction as it will help spread the crowds around, even if it is something I don't like lol!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

So very true!  I have learned to be happy with any new attraction as it will help spread the crowds around, even if it is something I don't like lol!

I don't know.... the PR dude said they are not responsible for any of those teasers, but clearly someone in the company is. I'd hate to see this story get far reaching only to ultimately disappoint the average visitor. Any major permit application would be public record for 2019 with the city, so we know it isn't a coaster next year.  I really wish they would have just said that, "any proposed teasers have nothing to do with any future plans at Kings Island" and shut it down immediately.  PR is kind of a touchy thing and stuff like this can lead to an "over promise, under deliver" situation that the park never intended.  I think Tony Clark's, "it's fun to speculate anyway" response was intended to shut it down, but the fact they still rolled with the story implies that they didn't entirely believe him.  

No matter what happens, 2019 will be a very very interesting year for Kings Island.

• Like 4

So guys i have read this entire thing from friday to now, I dont know why anyone is pressing for a name for the wood, and the flowers are fake, Emotional Rollercoasters on insta put those there, and my buddy put the wood there. idky its such a big deal to everyone. I love playing the guessing games with Cedar Fair thats what make what we all do fun and worth it! Anyhow, I was at the park yesterday and re-walked through Tower Gardens and idky we have not been talking about what they are doing in there, seems they are putting some old "western" style theme   here and there. It may be just decorations but why? Why this late in the year would they just now be adding more things in that area, thats one of the most untraveled area's of the park, is that why? and NO its not for Haunt. Just my thoughts take care everyone. 

~Josh 

• Like 2

I agree about the tower gardens “hints”being something.  It’s an odd aesthetic choice to put in an odd area. I really believe there’s too much coincidence for it to all be coincidence. I’m not saying they are all teasers for a new ride, but there is definitely an integrated narrative developing using threads from multiple parks to weave a story. As to what that story is, how deep it goes and what they do with it waits to be seen.  Hope  they can actually follow through in real  execution with what they concept in marketing. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, brent said:

I agree about the tower gardens “hints”being something.  It’s an odd aesthetic choice to put in an odd area. I really believe there’s too much coincidence for it to all be coincidence. I’m not saying they are all teasers for a new ride, but there is definitely an integrated narrative developing using threads from multiple parks to weave a story. As to what that story is, how deep it goes and what they do with it waits to be seen.  Hope  they can actually follow through in real  execution with what they concept in marketing. 

Well said, i will be there again on Thursday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

You do know that Backwoods Bayou haunt is located in Tower Gardens. How do you know it’s not for Haunt? Are the gates still open or are they closed? You guys are saying you keep seeing decorations in Tower Gardens. I have yet to see photos of them.

The gates or open.....were not just saying things, we cover this stuff weekly over on our facebook, insta and youtube..

And like I said those could be for the Backwoods Bayou Haunt. You’re making a mountain out of a mole hill right now. Not every little object the park puts out there like this is a hint of the next big ride.

I’m not making a mountain out of anything. I just provided a photo of new decoration in TG. There are also non native cactus over in another landscape in TG. I figured that were just trying to spruce things up like they used to years ago.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

I’m not making a mountain out of anything. I just provided a photo of new decoration in TG. There are also non native cactus emoji266.png over in another landscape in TG. I figured that were just trying to spruce things up like they used to years ago.

Yeah not to sure on that one, its just weird they would do it this late in the year though. OH well lol idk 

• Like 1

^ The only reason the news believes there is substance to the rumors is that it's being talked about here.

A question I think everyone here needs to answer: why would any park ever release hints that:

1.) are only recognizable by people with an amount of industry knowledge the average park guest wouldn't have (e.g. "giga" in the snow),

2.) require an enthusiast-level amount of attention to detail to an obscure feature that played absolutely no part in the ride experience of a roller coaster that hasn't operated in almost 10 years (e.g. Outpost 5), and/or

3.) exist at a park that isn't the one the "hint" is about (e.g. literally anything reported in Steel Vengeance's queue)?

Do you know what teasers do? Get media and guest attention for the park by the park's own doing. Enthusiast speculation being reported on is not the same thing. Actual teasers--ride Sally ride, filming in progress, watch out for falling trees--get everyone's attention. It's not there to wink at enthusiasts through subtlety. Marketing and PR don't exist to tickle enthusiasts.

You know what DOES contain all three of those features? Easter eggs, which aren't the same thing as hints. Easter eggs exist to wink at loyal fans. Putting Canada's Wonderland-, Kings Island-, and California's Great America-related posters in the Steel Vengeance queue/the area near Steel Vengeance does exactly that.

I love speculation, but the coaster fandom is really, really good at cycling through Here's a Thing I Noticed -> I Wonder If It's a Hint -> It's Definitely a Hint -> It's Definitely Confirmed, We're Just Waiting for Them to Announce It -> What Do You Mean It's Not What You Promised This Whole Time so much. It's kind of a mind-numbing cycle to watch over and over and over.

Trust me, folks: when it's a teaser, there won't be any question about whether or not it's a teaser. These aren't hints, no matter how much the news talks about us looking for hints.

• Like 9

@TombRaiderFTW I hear you, but in the day and age of rampant digital connectivity, the powers that be know that even little crumbs of info will be spread and speculated on. And let's face it, once there is actual teasers, those are seen as basically an announcement. It's all just a way to build it up the hype...enthusiasts are the best marketing and the official announcement is usually just the confirmation of 'ongoing speculation'. I love it all either way--especially the conceptual joining of multiple parks' theming.

• Like 2

People complain that Kings Island doesn't do enough theming to be considered a theme park. Kings Island does a little bit of theming and people fall over each other trying to be first to break the news (although this is the first time I've noticed the actual news get in on the act, usually it's just the fan sites).

Prior to the little farm vignette added as theming in Tower Gardens, the plants and flowers have been changed several times this season, to keep it fresh, interesting, and beautiful. That's what the groundskeeping staff does. That's what the greenhouses are for. Granted the general theming centered around plants and setting a mood used to be more of a "thing" for the park in its early years, but I've appreciated this return to their roots, and enjoy seeing the changes as the seasons progress. 

I don't think it "means" anything other than adding visual interest around the park. 

• Like 9