Which coaster gets the RMC axe?

matthew0813

I know some people hate RMC for “destroying” old woodies and changing the layout to include inversions and bank turns, but lots more like them. I, having ridden 7, have fallen in love with these amazing coasters and believe that ki *NEEDS* one of them. The question remains: which one shall receive the axe of rejuvenation?

Personally, I think that The Beast should be RMC’d, but it’s ok for the moment so I’m assuming The Racer will probably be the first becuase it’s nearing its 50th birthday and what better present then becoming the best ride in the park?

b81baf7ea285e07cd8e9d0427b81f782.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

What's beyond out of the box thinking?  Because I'd love to see RMC re-imagine Vortex.   Maybe with T-Rex track, maybe with Rapor track, or beyond with Topper Track.   We know they can make wood coasters something entirely different than they were before but what could they do with a coaster that's currently steel?

• Like 6

Change The Beast and you are asking for an uprising.

I like the thought of a Vortex refresh or even The Racer. Those are standard out and back designs, so I’d be ok with that.

The Vortex has always seemed to be that certain parts are too flat or not banked at all. I think changing some of the elements while keeping 6 inversions would make for a remarkable improvement!

• Thanks 3

What's beyond out of the box thinking?  Because I'd love to see RMC re-imagine Vortex.   Maybe with T-Rex track, maybe with Rapor track, or beyond with Topper Track.   We know they can make wood coasters something entirely different than they were before but what could they do with a coaster that's currently steel?

Sorry not sure if this is a dp but if it is my bad.

But anyways I’m not quite sure what in the world they could do with an existing steelcoaster. With something like a woodie it would be much easier to make better becuase of how easy it is to edit a support. Just cut it and plop some galvanized steel on top. With a pre-existing steel coaster, they supports would be harder to modify. An arrow coaster has more supports to be adjusted so I guess Vortex would be a good coaster, but what could they really do with it? The currently existing support system wouldn’t be ideal for hi g force maneuvers new supports would. They might as well build a ground up trex.

Mystic Timbers in 30 years.

The Racer and The Beast have such rich history at the park and are so celebrated by the park that I doubt they'd get touched. From what I've read and heard, The Racer is not sound enough to receive the treatment anyway because it was built with Douglas Fir and not Southern Yellow Pine. I also believe age has a factor in there as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"RMCing" makes sense as a solution for not-so-popular old wooden coasters that have not aged well.  Kings Island does not have a ride that fits that description in my opinion.  

I'm sure RMC would be happy to build Kings Island a brand new ride of their choosing (Topper, I-Box, T-Rex, whatever).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

"RMCing" makes sense as a solution for not-so-popular old wooden coasters that have not aged well.  Kings Island does not have a ride that fits that description in my opinion.  

I'm sure RMC would be happy to build Kings Island a brand new ride of their choosing (Topper, I-Box, T-Rex, whatever).

Best answer and most logical thinking.

RMC is good for a problem child coaster. The only problem child Woddie we had was removed. Yes I would like to see an RMC at KI, but ground up. Why do they have to transform an existing coaster?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

Absolutely this, 100%! :) 

The Racer and The Beast are fantastic experiences and in my opinion, have aged well. I won't argue that they don't need any attention. Of course they do, they're classics, important rides at the park, and they have historical significance. But that doesn't mean they need to be RMC'd. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Did RMC ever come out and say they'd be willing to re-tool steel coasters?  Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything they currently design that would.

Also, with the price to do so, you might as well tear down Vortex and build a new ground-up steel coaster (preferably a Mack multi-looper to keep the lower height restriction). 

In regards to Racer, I think it just needs a new set of 3 bench PTC's like Thunderhawk got or Millennium Flyers like GhostRider got, both with extensive re-tracking and, hopefully, removal of the trims on the turn arounds (if Blue Steak and Phoenix can tear through their respective turns with some decent lateral G's, so can Racer).  Its running the best it has in years this season and its still a pretty popular ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

Am I the only one who thinks a Vortex redo by RMC would be super ugly and should be done by someone else?

You mean like no one? 

Vortex should truly already have one of those seemingly coveted plaques from ACE.

When it opened in 1987, it held 3 records. It was the tallest drop, steepest drop,  and most inversions.

There was a time when people rode roller coasters for the thrill they provided.  A roller coaster was defined by the intensity of the experience, not by the virtual "ride" from YouTube on your couch.

I'll take a ride on Vortex over Fury325 any time the choice is given. Maverick? a discussion will be had.  

• Like 5

^Its kind of hard to pin Vortex for such a stature since in the 80s, mulitple records of varying degrees were being broken all the time.  The 80's were when the technology of steel coasters really took off thanks in large part to Arrow and Togo.  

For example, Shockwave at Six Flags Great America broke all of Vortex's records a year after it was built.  Then the likes of SFMM's Viper, Magnum and Steel Phantom were built soon thereafter.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2018 at 7:58 PM, matthew0813 said:

I know some people hate RMC for “destroying” old woodies and changing the layout to include inversions and bank turns, but lots more like them. I, having ridden 7, have fallen in love with these amazing coasters and believe that ki *NEEDS* one of them. The question remains: which one shall receive the axe of rejuvenation?

Personally, I think that The Beast should be RMC’d, but it’s ok for the moment so I’m assuming The Racer will probably be the first becuase it’s nearing its 50th birthday and what better present then becoming the best ride in the park?

b81baf7ea285e07cd8e9d0427b81f782.jpg

There's a lot of cool RMC's Kings Island can get. Like they can get an RMC racer or RMC Vortex. Technically I think of Banshee as a smooth version of Vortex so I can think of better RMC's. Maybe Kings Island could make an RMC woodstock express as the first family hybrid coaster. The Beast would be a good ride for an RMC but it's a good ride for a wooden coaster seeing how some people say it's their favorite ride in the park. For a ride that was built in the late 70's it stands to be an amazing ride and deserves to be one of the best wooden coasters out there. Beast currently stands as the longest wooden. If The Beast gets replace with RMC, there's people who will hate RMC for destroying an amazing classic wooden coaster. The best RMC coaster for Kings Island would be an RMC Son of Beast. If they made it the exact same layout then it would probably beat steel vengeance. They could make a taller, faster, and longer version of Son of Beast. If RMC can make a vertical loop honoring Son of Beast then it would be the best thing RMC has ever done to a former coaster. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2018 at 1:33 AM, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

Agree.   All the wood coasters at KI have great ridership.    

• Like 1

Not every wooden coaster needs RMC treatment and you really can't re-vamp a steel coaster in the way that RMC revamps wood coasters.  It'd be cheaper and way more practical to build a new coaster than re-vamp a steel coaster in that way.  

If KI goes for an RMC, it should be a ground-up coaster.  I'd prefer a Topper Track coaster, but anything would suffice. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cordell75 said:

There's a lot of cool RMC's Kings Island can get. Like they can get an RMC racer or RMC Vortex. Technically I think of Banshee as a smooth version of Vortex so I can think of better RMC's. Maybe Kings Island could make an RMC woodstock express as the first family hybrid coaster. The Beast would be a good ride for an RMC but it's a good ride for a wooden coaster seeing how some people say it's their favorite ride in the park. For a ride that was built in the late 70's it stands to be an amazing ride and deserves to be one of the best wooden coasters out there. Beast currently stands as the longest wooden. If The Beast gets replace with RMC, there's people who will hate RMC for destroying an amazing classic wooden coaster. The best RMC coaster for Kings Island would be an RMC Son of Beast. If they made it the exact same layout then it would probably beat steel vengeance. They could make a taller, faster, and longer version of Son of Beast. If RMC can make a vertical loop honoring Son of Beast then it would be the best thing RMC has ever done to a former coaster. 

If you want a family hybrid go ride Adventure Express.

• Like 2

The Beast is such a classic coaster, with a familiar shake and rattle that I dont ever want to see RMC'd. That said, the layout for The Beast would be absolutely perfect for the RMC treatment, the amount of bunny hills they could construct with that foundation would be insane. id rather see them build a ground up, preferably in the space where Vortex is.

• Like 2