Which coaster gets the RMC axe?

matthew0813

I think The Racer would make an awesome RMC conversion candidate. Yes it’s iconic but we are not talking about removal so much as remodel. 

I know some people’s feelings  would be hurt and say it’s a great family coaster or it is a classic woodie. How many family coasters does one park need? As I see it the park only has 3, maybe 4 enthusiast coasters vs 7 or 8 family coasters. Also, I think the remaining wooden coasters in the park being The Beast and Mystic Timbers are good enough to support the woodie fix when needed.

FYI: The Racer was the first coaster I ever rode back in 1982 when I was 6 and I’m fine with it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Don’t get me started on Adventure Express which is at this time in it’s current state, a waste of space.

It was at one time a great family ride but has had the Cedar Fair theme gutting that has happened to most rides at their parks. Most days there is almost no line and from a business stand point doesn’t make sense anymore.

I’m sure here in the near future it will be with a few other unnamed rides on the chopping block.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Don’t get me started on Adventure Express which is at this time in it’s current state, a waste of space.

It was at one time a great family ride but has had the Cedar Fair theme gutting that has happened to most rides at their parks. Most days there is almost no line and from a business stand point doesn’t make sense anymore.

I’m sure here in the near future it will be with a few other unnamed rides on the chopping block.

I don't disagree entirely, but here are my thoughts:

1. I have been to the park plenty of times and there is almost always a wait time of 8 minutes or more on Adventure Express. Even with all trains running.

2. I do agree Adventure Express is on the chopping block. Considering it is an Arrow ride, and Arrow rides are starting to disappear, I would imagine that it would be removed within the next 10 season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

On the other hand, how often is that thing down?  I have never seen it.  If it isn't a maintenance headache and they don't need the space for something else why would they chop it?

Due to low ridership.When they see that the ride no longer draws a reasonable amount of riders then they will add that to the equation with maintenance and operating cost.

With Adventure Express being an Arrow coaster I would imagine maintenance and operating cost are higher compared to newer rides as well. Arrow parts are harder to come by with them being out of business and most certainly played a role into The Vortex demise.

• Like 2

I'm sure I'll get quoted here, but that's alright. I want them to keep Adventure Express as long as they can. That ride has been there since I was a kid. A lot of nights when I go, I still see kids running back to get in the queue for another ride before the end of the night. I try to hit at dusk on a summer night so me and my friends can go ride The Beast for a night ride. The Beast is amazing at night!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I'm sure I'll get quoted here, but that's alright. I want them to keep Adventure Express as long as they can. That ride has been there since I was a kid. A lot of nights when I go, I still see kids running back to get in the queue for another ride before the end of the night. I try to hit at dusk on a summer night so me and my friends can go ride The Beast for a night ride. The Beast is amazing at night!

I feel your pain and this is also why I want a Racer RMC. It was my first childhood coaster and what better way to extend the life of it and make it a favorite of the younger generations. Also it will pull a lot of bodies from other cue lines and munch through them as a dueling RMC. Everyone wins!

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I feel your pain and this is also why I want a Racer RMC. It was my first childhood coaster and what better way to extend the life of it and make it a favorite of the younger generations. Also it will pull a lot of bodies from other cue lines and munch through them as a dueling RMC. Everyone wins!

On one hand I will ask why does The Racer need to be RMC'ed to extend the life of it. Look at Jack Rabbit at Kennywood. It is 100 this year without RMC touching it. On the other hand its a lousy ride and extremely rough. I don't ride it much and many trips I skip it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Do people not remember that GCI has worked on Racer? Why would they need to bring in RMC?

Look at what they did to Ghostrider at Knott's Berry Farm

You are right and I completely missed the fact that woodies in general have a much longer lifespan vs steel. This was bad logic on my part to justify the conversion.

This does not change my opinion however that Racer would make a great RMC coaster. Also, an RMC converted Racer would draw huge crowds to it and chew through cue lines quickly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

Due to low ridership.When they see that the ride no longer draws a reasonable amount of riders then they will add that to the equation with maintenance and operating cost.

Low ridership? Don't be fooled by wait times. Adventure Express is a high capacity ride and annually ranks among the top attractions in the park for ridership. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, DonHelbig said:

Low ridership? Don't be fooled by wait times. Adventure Express is a high capacity ride and annually ranks among the top attractions in the park for ridership. 

It always seems to be forgotten, that a ride has an hourly capacity. That hourly capacity does not change whether the queue is full or if it's a 5-minute wait.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Please explain how Racer is a hybrid?

Sorry I misread and was thinking of AE.

Still, Racer doesn't need to be touched by RMC. It makes no sense at this point at its current state. 

Its not suprising that Don wouldn't comment on RMCing Racer. He holds the record for most rides on it, I'm sure he doesn't want them touching it.

Why hire another company to work on it when GCI is already doing work on it?

• Like 2

@DonHelbig, If you read this (I know a lot of people have said "If you read this" and stuff like that), but please DO NOT RMC Racer or The Beast. They are amazing coasters and RMC-ing them would (to me) completely ruin them. If the park ever decides its time to add one, just don't touch what we already have.^_^

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Please understand that I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers by saying that AE is a shell of itself or would be my pick for removal. These are all my opinions.

Racer RMC is my opinion as well and like Don I also have strong feelings for it due to what that ride stands for me as a child and being my first coaster. I still however like the the thought of a dueling RMC which Racer meets that criteria. I seldom ride it anymore when visiting the park but only because there are better rides with longer cue lines and it always gets put into the category of “if we get to it” with the group.

The Beast is still the best woodie of all time and Twisted Timbers is no slouch either. These two are strong enough to represent woodies at any other park by themselves let alone together in one.