Get Rid of One Coaster-Cedar Point Edition

Get rid of a coaster  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*Just to be clear I love all of CP's coasters, but I'd like to see other people's perspectives and true views.*

If one coaster had to bite the dust, which one would it be? This can be based on capacity, placement, or personal preference. I included all coasters on this thread to reduce bias. Please be mature and respect each other's opinions. This is meant to be a survey and a friendly discussion.

I went with Rougarou as well. It's a good ride, but I personally don't find anything special about it. I rode it as both Mantis and Rougarou. The inclined loop is unique (for a floorless) as well as its cool placement over water, but after the ride I always thought it was nothing more than "okay" or maybe even "boring."

Am I really that spoiled by the likes of Vortex, Viper, and Tennessee Tornado? :lol: I have always found Rougarou to be rather tame compared to the snappiness that Arrow loopers have.

I voted for Cedar Creek Mine Ride just because of the potential land use and just being an "okay" mine ride. 

Rougarou was going to be my second choice for the reasons that @VortexBFForever and @Oldiesmann mentioned. The headbanging is worse than that of some arrow loopers I've riden. Maybe vest restraints would have been a better choice to experiment with at the time. The restraints seen on Banshee, GateKeeper, and Valravn have spoiled me rotten. 

• Like 3

I completely understand about Rougarou but am not as down on it as others.  Sticking your head forward works for my kids and pressing my head back works for me.  Just seems replacing a section or two of reprofiled track would fix the majority of the problem and make it a pretty decent ride.   CP needs people eaters, especially on days like today where reports are that all lots are full and the line to get in this morning backed up to McDonalds.  

Although several come to mind like CCMR, WT and Corkscrew.  It really depends on what if anything would replace it.  CCMR if they could get something with a lower height requirement for families.  Just doesn’t seem to serve any purpose with 48” height requirement.  Same could be said for Wilderness Express.  

Ryan calls Corkscrew “demeaning” but is nice to look at and also has a small footprint. 

WT is useless with its overly restrictive size requirements but takes up no space and does check off the 200’ box.  

In the end I come down on Corkscrew becuase it is just a bad ride. 

• Like 3

This was hard, because even my least favorite Cedar Point coasters have historical merit (Corkscrew and Magnum come to mind...). In the end, I chose Raptor. I don't ever remember having a super awesome ride on it (my first ever ride was not enjoyable, and this year's ride was meh). Also, it's super loud and disturbs its neighbors Blue Streak and Valravn. However, even though I'm not the biggest fan, I think it would ultimetly stay as it's pretty iconic to Cedar Point (but on the other hand, it does take up a ton of land...).

And watch what you say about Valravn, Wicked Twister and Rougarou. :P Valravn has personality, WT is so cool and so much fun (imo) and I originally hated Rougarou when I first rode it, but my July trip changed my mind. He may be not be for everyone, but I love Rougarou's aggressiveness, even if it results in a little head-banging!

If I'm being honest, whenever I've gone to the park this summer I've always actively avoided two rides- Raptor and Rougarou.

Whenever I would ride them in the past I would get a major headache and I'm only 21. I'm not saying the rides aren't fun but they're definitely an acquired taste for me.

I don't know if it's just because they're older B&M's or if it's just the over-the-shoulder restraints but I'd rather wait in line for Valravn and GateKeeper instead.

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Double Post- its also RUMORED by some enthusiasts that Wicked Twister MIGHT be removed in the coming seasons to make room for expansion. 

Expanding the depth of the beach by 50’ there would a major improvement.  

1 hour ago, sixohdieselrage said:

You just like it because it's an Arrow. :P

She must have super powers.  We should pitch her to Marvel and Netflix for a series.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Double Post- its also RUMORED by some enthusiasts that Wicked Twister MIGHT be removed in the coming seasons to make room for expansion. 

Noooooo! Not Wicked Twister!!! :( I really hope that doesn't happen (or if it does, they keep they name and theme and transfer it down south to KI)!

Well, at least we will forever be able to listen to this song on Youtube:

-MDMC01, a fan on Intamin Impulse Coasters!

• Like 2

Corkscrew was a close choice for me. It's location and the corkscrewing over the path were the main reasons it didn't get my vote. I went with Cedar Creek Mine Ride. It's jsut a very dull coaster overall and not very fun and takes up a lot fo space that could be better utilized by new coaster and/or log flume or other rides.

• Like 2

Oh boy here I go.

To me, removing Corkscrew is a really, REALLY bad idea. Not only does it look amazing through the midway, but It'd be really hard to replace it with something. It's just so tiny and barely takes up any space. Not to mention, it's literally the only inverting ride at CP that is 48 inches. Not to mention, it's pretty dang small too. It's a pretty good ride to introduce inversions. Remove it, smaller folks can't ride and anyone who's scared of heights/drops are now stuck with Rougarou, Steel Vengeance, Maverick... (And I've personally have never had a bad ride on Corkscrew, just the other day I found it to be a pretty smooth ride. The trains aren't so great though.)

I'm also really against removing CCMR. CCMR is a great starter coaster in general. And look at what else is in that same area. Steel Vengeance and Maverick. CCMR imo is a perfect fit for that area to help keep a good balance of family rides. Yeah it's a duller coaster but by no means does that mean you should remove it. Not every coaster needs to be the most thrilling thing on earth. A park such as Cedar Point just isn't a complete park without a classic Mine Train ride. 

And, try to ignore my username here, the Arrows at CP are to me one of the few things there that truly give CP some character. Not to mention, they all still serve a great purpose, which is being ride an entire family can enjoy. CCMR, Iron Dragon, Gemini, Corkscrew, start removing them and the family aspect of Cedar Point is just lost. And noticing how Cedar Point as started to market to families more, what's the point of marketing towards families if there aren't any family rides?

In the end I'd have to go with Rougarou if I had to choose a ride to go. I've given this coaster so many chances to try and redeem itself but each time I get off wishing I rode anything else in the park instead. To me the floorless trains have done zero to improve the ride with the exception of sitting down. 

• Like 3

The small footprint was the main reason I didn't go with Corkscrew either, jsut not going to be able to replace it with much. And I agree with you on the fact that CCMR is a good family style coaster and helps balance the thrills in the area and the park can sue a good mine train coaster. However, a good mine train coaster is the key there and CCMR isn't one. I'd rather see a new mine train or something similar replace it. Can still have it be a midlevel thrill for families but not as dull as the current. Could be really cool to see them put in some sort of mountain with tunnels/mines there that it could weave in and out of too with some mild theming or at least some tunnels like Adventure Express. But if put a mountain would be great to have a log flume that goes through it as well with it and the coaster interwoven together.

3 hours ago, purdude86 said:

The small footprint was the main reason I didn't go with Corkscrew either, jsut not going to be able to replace it with much. And I agree with you on the fact that CCMR is a good family style coaster and helps balance the thrills in the area and the park can sue a good mine train coaster. However, a good mine train coaster is the key there and CCMR isn't one. I'd rather see a new mine train or something similar replace it. Can still have it be a midlevel thrill for families but not as dull as the current. Could be really cool to see them put in some sort of mountain with tunnels/mines there that it could weave in and out of too with some mild theming or at least some tunnels like Adventure Express. But if put a mountain would be great to have a log flume that goes through it as well with it and the coaster interwoven together.

I personally can't seem to find how CCMR isn't a "good" mine train. The helixes are pretty fun, it's a long ride, the drop into the lagoon is pretty cool, not really that rough, and like I said earlier, not every ride has to be thrilling. I'd much rather have them maybe spruce up the area it's in rather than remove it, because to me it's the perfect kind of ride in the area. Heck maybe even theme some sections of ride.

• Like 2

I voted for Corkscrew.  It is just a rough ride even if it is nice to look at from the midway.

I do think Wicked Twister will be the next ride removed though.  I feel like they will move it to one of the smaller parks like Michigan's Adventure where it would be much more popular.  When I was at CP a couple weekends ago everything had a wait and WT was virtually a station wait or two the whole time I was there while everything else had a wait time.  I think its strict size restrictions and the fact that it is pretty much a one trick pony hurt it in a park with so much more to do.  I did really enjoy it though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't get the logic of removing Gemini. It has the highest capacity of any ride at the park and the wood structure can be maintained. The only reason to remove it would be if the track gets too old. The land isn't anything to write home about unless they chip away at some of the adjacent parking to accommodate more space.

Magnum is another one I don't understand. Its surrounded by the water park so a replacement would have to virtually follow the same path. Besides, Magnum has that scaffolding style support structure which made it very narrow allowing for more water park space. If they went big and got say a 400ft tall B&M, they'd have to allow for the supports to jet out into the water park. It just seems like too much of a hassle to tear down and try and replace it vs just spending the money to keep it running. 

Rougarou on the other hand is a ride I could see them axing. There's nothing super unique about it and I think they could put something better in its place. I'm not saying it would be removed anytime soon but its always one of the coasters that comes to mind when a Cedar Point coaster removals discussion comes up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don't get the logic of removing Gemini. It has the highest capacity of any ride at the park and the wood structure can be maintained. The only reason to remove it would be if the track gets too old. The land isn't anything to write home about unless they chip away at some of the adjacent parking to accommodate more space.

Magnum is another one I don't understand. Its surrounded by the water park so a replacement would have to virtually follow the same path. Besides, Magnum has that scaffolding style support structure which made it very narrow allowing for more water park space. If they went big and got say a 400ft tall B&M, they'd have to allow for the supports to jet out into the water park. It just seems like too much of a hassle to tear down and try and replace it vs just spending the money to keep it running. 

Rougarou on the other hand is a ride I could see them axing. There's nothing super unique about it and I think they could put something better in its place. I'm not saying it would be removed anytime soon but its always one of the coasters that comes to mind when a Cedar Point coaster removals discussion comes up.

Rougarou could very well be moved to another Cedar Fair park like Valleyfair or Michigan’s Adventure, and it would be a great addition to either of those parks.

• Like 1