Get Rid of One Coaster-Cedar Point Edition

Get rid of a coaster  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Rougarou could very well be moved to another Cedar Fair park like Valleyfair or Michigan’s Adventure, and it would be a great addition to either of those parks.

Corkscrew would be a great addition to those parks.

We all know its cedar creek mine ride....best bang for buck in opening up space.

2 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Corkscrew would be a great addition to those parks.

We all know its cedar creek mine ride....best bang for buck in opening up space.

Cedar Point does not need to be getting rid of family coasters though. If they replace their family coasters with thrill coasters, they will alienate a lot of their park guests.

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Rougarou could very well be moved to another Cedar Fair park like Valleyfair or Michigan’s Adventure, and it would be a great addition to either of those parks.

Normally I would agree that they should relocate it to a different park but the ball joints under the track would have to be addressed. It's pretty rough with the over shoulder restraints in my opinion. It's already 24 years old so I feel like if they moved it to another park it would only last for so long (not to mention assembling and disassembling might add additional wear and tear). 

Dominator was only 8 years old when it was relocated to Kings Dominion. Chang (a near clone of Mantis) was relocated when it was 14 years old. I think it would be wise to let it live out the rest of its life at Cedar Point. I daresay it would've been better to relocate it and convert it at a new park like Worlds of Fun where it could've operated for 20+ years. However with its conversion and rebrand they were able to market it as a new coaster and experiment with stand-up conversions that they later repeated with Patriot at CGA.

Anyone know why Vortex at Carowinds was never converted? 

• Like 1

I could definitely see Cedar Creek Mine Ride going away.  It is a slow efficiency ride.  The old Arrow mine trains load/unload so slow.  If they replaced it with a three train GCI like Mystic they would end up with a more efficient ride.  Gemini shouldn't go anywhere.  It is a capacity machine.

As far as Vortex at Carowinds, I have seen a lot of people suggest that it is too short of a ride to waste the money on conversion.  But with its location in the park, I think it would do quite well if it was converted to a floorless.

I think capacity is a vastly overrated stat on its own when judging if a coaster should stay or not.  There are other factors that can override efficiency when it comes to the purpose of keeping a ride around.

CCMR, Corkscrew, and Iron Dragon are all very good starter/intermediate coasters for kids jumping up from Woodstock Express and Wilderness Run.  They're all under 100 ft, they have few or no inversions, they aren't that forceful, and they're accessible to that kind of demographic when it comes to height restrictions as none are above 48".   Also, S&S still supplies parts and all 3 are smaller layouts for each of their types respectively.  

I think one of the Intamins will be next to leave, either Wicked Twister or TTD.  Magnum has a good chance as well seeing that Vortex just bit the dust due to end of life expectancy. 

46 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

If they replaced it with a three train GCI like Mystic they would end up with a more efficient ride.

As much as I love Arrow Mine trains, a GCI is always a welcomed addition in my eyes.

23 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I think one of the Intamins will be next to leave, either Wicked Twister or TTD.

I think Wicked before TTD. Despite its downtime, expensiveness to run, and even Kinzel himself calling it a "dumb decision" TTD is one of the major draws to CP. Wicked Twister was meant to be filler anyway so I don't think the park would miss it as much as TTD. I'm curious, what do you think CP would do after removing TTD if that was the scenario?

16 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I think capacity is a vastly overrated stat on its own when judging if a coaster should stay or not.  There are other factors that can override efficiency when it comes to the purpose of keeping a ride around.

CCMR, Corkscrew, and Iron Dragon are all very good starter/intermediate coasters for kids jumping up from Woodstock Express and Wilderness Run.  They're all under 100 ft, they have few or no inversions, they aren't that forceful, and they're accessible to that kind of demographic when it comes to height restrictions as none are above 48".   Also, S&S still supplies parts and all 3 are smaller layouts for each of their types respectively.  

I think one of the Intamins will be next to leave, either Wicked Twister or TTD.  Magnum has a good chance as well seeing that Vortex just bit the dust due to end of life expectancy. 

If Magnum ever reaches the end of life then I think there's enough of a fan base to rebuild it like Hulk at Universal.

9 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

What makes the ride is the quirkiness of it with the odd transitions and the triangular bunny hills.  The ride would not be the same if done by today's engineering standards.

The consensus was the second half of steel phantom sucked.  So the second half of the layout was changed.

With today's technology in sure one manufacture could replicate the ride. Also what does Steel phantom have anything to do with it? That ride was basically Vortex and Magnum combined into one ride from what I understand and that was a bad idea. People were going through The Vortex style inversions at 80 mph. Which was faster than the computer models thought possible.

51 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

With today's technology in sure one manufacture could replicate the ride. Also what does Steel phantom have anything to do with it? That ride was basically Vortex and Magnum combined into one ride from what I understand and that was a bad idea. People were going through The Vortex style inversions at 80 mph. Which was faster than the computer models thought possible.

The problem is today's technology.  The ride is loved because of its quirkiness.

19 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I could definitely see Cedar Creek Mine Ride going away.  It is a slow efficiency ride.  The old Arrow mine trains load/unload so slow.  If they replaced it with a three train GCI like Mystic they would end up with a more efficient ride.  Gemini shouldn't go anywhere.  It is a capacity machine.

As far as Vortex at Carowinds, I have seen a lot of people suggest that it is too short of a ride to waste the money on conversion.  But with its location in the park, I think it would do quite well if it was converted to a floorless.

But Vortex combined with nighthawk are right together....

2 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

They probably are in second place in the two worst coasters right besides each other competition.

Only Flight Deck and Time Warp at CW probably have them beat.

Nighthawk/Vortex and Flightdeck/Timewarp are two sets of coasters that I personally would like to see removed in favor of a single better ride. Kill two old birds with one modern stone.

Nighthawk/Vortex could be replaced with a wing, dive, or compact GCI

Flightdeck/Timewarp could be replaced with a modern invert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Nighthawk/Vortex and Flightdeck/Timewarp are two sets of coasters that I personally would like to see removed in favor of a single better ride. Kill two old birds with one modern stone.

Nighthawk/Vortex could be replaced with a wing, dive, or compact GCI

Flightdeck/Timewarp could be replaced with a modern invert

Even if you only remove Nighthawk there is room for a GCI with a twister layout.