6 invesions

Vortex_fan

Do you wan't this iconic ride to go to waste? Well now I for sure know Vortex is staying! how? oh i'll tell you how-

Vortex just got a new air compressor this year 2018! And also i'm 19 not 13 and Vortex is not my #1 favorite my #1 fav is Firehawk

So Vortex is not leaving!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vortex_fan said:

Do you wan't this iconic ride to go to waste? Well now I for sure know Vortex is staying! how? oh i'll tell you how-

Vortex just got a new air compressor this year 2018! And also i'm 19 not 13 and Vortex is not my #1 favorite my #1 fav is Firehawk

So Vortex is not leaving!

Good to know. I drive a 15 year old car and I had to buy a new battery yesterday. I guess that means I won't have to buy another car for at least another 15 years. To be 19 and KNOW EVERYTHING....I miss those days. lol

What's an invesion? I don't think I've ever experienced one of those in my 300+ coasters.

• Like 1

It would help if you told us how much that new air compressor cost? $2500? or $250,000? More? Can't imagine them tearing down one of the more photogenic rides in the park, but if it needed a new air compressor to function this year then so be it. It's not like big coasters like this are taken down willy-nilly anyhow. I expect it to stay---for at least "awhile"---unless they have a really, really amazing replacement in mind. Lacking something else amazing the park is wise to keep it running. At least that's what common-sense tells me with the limited knowledge of maintenance costs.

I have no idea how much the new air compressor cost. But I think that the fact that Vortex received one, along with a number of refurbished/replaced footings, is good enough to believe that it will stay for a considerable time to come, and I personally think it will. From what I have seen, it is still generally reliable for a 31-year-old Arrow looper, not to mention its high capacity helps greatly with moving lines on busy days *cough*Haunt Saturdays*cough*.

I will not worry about its future, nor should any of us worry about it.

-BFF, who sees herself taking her 1,000th ride on Vortex on July 23, 2020, of course barring any unforeseen circumstances. Also #Vortex35thAnniversary2022orBust

• Like 3

I hardly ever see Vortex down, I'm sure it does from time to time, it did when I worked on it back in 2001. The thing that worries me about Vortex is it's ridership, it continues to drop each year. Granted we have received 3 major coasters since 2009 with two being B&M.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PKIVortex said:

I hardly ever see Vortex down, I'm sure it does from time to time, it did when I worked on it back in 2001. The thing that worries me about Vortex is it's ridership, it continues to drop each year. Granted we have received 3 major coasters since 2009 with two being B&M.

We're spoiled.

• Like 1

KI's TOGO Stand Up known as King Cobra closed way back in 2001. Other than this, Kings Island has never removed a coaster that's been there for the long term.

Incidentally, our TOGO Stand Up closed in 2014 and to this date remains the only roller coaster to close at Canada's Wonderland, it was relocated to a park in Tuscany.

Closing a roller coaster I assume is serious business and it's something an amusement park doesn't want to do if they don't have to. That being said, does Vortex draw fewer rides than say Firehawk? Backlot and AE aren't really "big rides" if you ask me. I assume Vortex does better than The Racer, but this is speculation. A KI expert would know better.

P.S. PKIVortex, James Bond: License to Thrill operated in the 2000 season at KI? Didn't know that, it didn't run that season at Wonderland.

1 hour ago, VortexBFForever said:

I'm 19 too...but I don't know everything. :P

Yes, but you don't make claims that you KNOW things are true without proof. I may not share your love of Arrow's, but I do respect your comments and experiences. I don't discount someone's opinion just because of their age either. My recently turned 14 year old nephew knows quite a few facts and things about coaster operations that I was unaware of beforehand, he does his own research and double and triple checks them. Last year when he started rolling off things that he knew, it blew my mind. He was correcting me on manufactures and coasters stats that I was incorrect or unsure about. Heck, there are even 10 year olds and younger kids that can crush my coaster count.

• Like 5

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love our ride but I don't necessarily think the new things we got this year indicate much. If something needs to be done out of necessity, they're going to do it. For example, needing a new compressor or replacing a few footers... Hopefully it does stay around for a while though! Certainly one of my favorites at the park. Now if they could just give it a new paint job, that would be perfect. :P

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FoF96" said:

I remember a certain ride in Rivertown that wasn’t going anywhere due to improved music effects, queue line improvements, and lighting upgrades.  We all know where that is now.

The Togo stand up also got a lil sprucing up right before its removal too.

:ph34r:

14 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

It would help if you told us how much that new air compressor cost? $2500? or $250,000? More? Can't imagine them tearing down one of the more photogenic rides in the park, but if it needed a new air compressor to function this year then so be it. It's not like big coasters like this are taken down willy-nilly anyhow. I expect it to stay---for at least "awhile"---unless they have a really, really amazing replacement in mind. Lacking something else amazing the park is wise to keep it running. At least that's what common-sense tells me with the limited knowledge of maintenance costs.

Its cost from 300-500

Vortex had it's last complete paint job back in 2001 the year I was a ride op on Vortex. It did get the rails repainted in 2009. And yes 2000 was the last year for Bond at KI, 7th Portal and Smash Factory showed in 2001.

• Like 1