Does anyone know how many guests are season passholders?

MisterSG1

This is something I'm curious on. On any given day in Kings Island, how many guests hold season passes? Is this information available in any way.

A fair estimate at Canada's Wonderland would be around 70% I suppose, that is 70% of guests used a season pass for admission.

I would assume Kings Island, and then Cedar Point to be a much lower percentage, especially Cedar Point as it is practically isolated.

Certainly CP is less but I think you would be surprised by the number off Passholders.   It is only an hour from downtown Cleveland so significantly less for anyone on the western side if the city.  I have noticed rural Ohio is much different that rural Missouri in that most if it is developed and there are not huge swaths of sparsely inhabited forests in addition many of the small towns you have never heard of are not all that small. 

• Like 1

I once heard a number several years back (soon after Cedar Fair acquired the Paramount Parks), that stated something along the lines of roughly 40% of the Paramount Parks attendance came from season pass visits, while the legacy Cedar Fair parks were much lower (10 or 20%).  

The percentage can change on any given day.  The park and Cedar Fair will not come out and say what the percentage is, (or even the percentage of visits at a park in the entire season).  I would say that the 70% number is high though.

Well in the example of Canada's Wonderland, there's a few things that make that park different.

We know that Wonderland is the most visited seasonal theme park in North America (North America being our two countries)

BUT, Wonderland doesn't have much to offer and isn't as "famous" as Cedar Poiint or Kings Island are, not by a longshot. I point back to Son of Beast as an example of making your park famous. It was the main attraction that got me interested in going in 2004. Kings Island and Cedar Point were all about innovation and world class roller coasters. Although Cedar Fair has been improving in putting big things in Wonderland, like Leviathan. But even so, Leviathan should have been the tallest traditional lift hill coaster in the world, even if it were to be beaten in a few years.

So Wonderland's attendance, I think it's safe to say that it mostly comes from locals, I mean other than Knott's, Wonderland is the only park anchored onto a very large city. The Greater Toronto Area would be the 5th largest metro area if it were in the US. When including Hamilton, (which I think is fair as Dallas's incluedes Fort Worth) the population of the metro area is over 7 million.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm being realistic, when's the last time you heard of someone saying they're taking a trip to Canada's Wonderland?

On 8/14/2018 at 12:42 AM, MisterSG1 said:

Well in the example of Canada's Wonderland, there's a few things that make that park different.

We know that Wonderland is the most visited seasonal theme park in North America (North America being our two countries)

BUT, Wonderland doesn't have much to offer and isn't as "famous" as Cedar Poiint or Kings Island are, not by a longshot. I point back to Son of Beast as an example of making your park famous. It was the main attraction that got me interested in going in 2004. Kings Island and Cedar Point were all about innovation and world class roller coasters. Although Cedar Fair has been improving in putting big things in Wonderland, like Leviathan. But even so, Leviathan should have been the tallest traditional lift hill coaster in the world, even if it were to be beaten in a few years.

So Wonderland's attendance, I think it's safe to say that it mostly comes from locals, I mean other than Knott's, Wonderland is the only park anchored onto a very large city. The Greater Toronto Area would be the 5th largest metro area if it were in the US. When including Hamilton, (which I think is fair as Dallas's incluedes Fort Worth) the population of the metro area is over 7 million.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm being realistic, when's the last time you heard of someone saying they're taking a trip to Canada's Wonderland?

I would be surprised if Wonderland season pass attendance percentage exceeds Kings Island season pass attendance percentage of total attendance.  Past conference calls and reports have said Kings Island is a season pass park.  I don't recall the same being said for Wonderland...

How many other comparable amusement parks exist in Canada?  I suspect they get a lot of daily admission visits from Canadians that don't want to hassle with the process of getting into the States to visit our parks (enthusiasts excluded LOL).  So Wonderland has an advantage with the lack of competition compared to parks in the States...

Contrast that with Americans that look at Canada as a way to visit another country cheap LOL...plus all of them wanting to leave the States LOL.  Outside of Cedar Point, I know more people that visit Wonderland than the other CF parks... 

• 2 weeks later...