Tennis players asked to take down on ride video at Kings Island

BoddaH1994

This is being discussed under the "Other Amusement Parks & Industry News", but I do think it was appropriate to open up a new thread in the KI section as I suspect a fair amount probably don't venture into topics not related to Kings Island, and this is related to Kings Island more than Kings Dominion!

As I said over in that thread, these high profile personality posts have certainly now put Cedar Fair in a predicament...If KI asked for them to removed and they are mocked and nothing further happens, this just opens the door wide-open to allowing this activity to happen.  If KI goes to Mason police with said post and asks for a misdemeanor charge and Mason police pull the ole "we are too busy to deal with that" or the "if we didn't see it, we can't ticket it", such activity will continue to happen.  If KI goes to Instagram or YouTube or Facebook or wherever the video is shown and reports the post as illegal and they do nothing about it, then it will continue to happen. Might as well remove the signs and allow it to happen at that point - if it is a policy that cannot be enforced and has no consequences for getting caught, then what is the point?  And to those thinking the signs limit KI's exposure if something happens - nope - having all the signage in the world stating it is illegal means nothing in the legal system if an incident were to occur with a flying phone.

Sad thing is I suspect these tennis players were provided free entry to the park and a KI staffer probably walked them up the exit to ride each ride being a VIP and all...Nice way for these millionaires that can afford to pay to say thanks to the park!

• Confused 1

It’s one thing to be ignorant of the rules. It’s another to break them, refuse to remove the video, and then mock the park.

If the park has any sense what so ever, these two will not be welcome back. There can’t be much backlash. Very few in America care about tennis to begin with.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

The park obtained the phone through the individual who was hit by it.

This incident happened back in June.

Well it would be interesting to know if all that happened was the individual lost their phone, or were they able to pick it at lost and found, were they ticketed and/or banned from park, and were they responsible for any expenses incurred by victim...

I was going to feel some sympathy for them until I saw Murray's reaction. I saw this linked on espn.com over the weekend (before they were asked to take it down) and thought about the phone rule instantly! I didn't know if they got special permission, or what.

It's still on his Instagram account too. Why can't he just behave and do what the park asked him to?

Also I find it hard to believe he didn't know he couldn't film on the ride. Every time I've been to KI this season multiple ride ops have made it clear that the use of electronic devices is prohibited on all rides.

• Like 2

I looked up to see if British parks were more lax on cameras filming on rides than the US since Andy Murray is from GB, and they (ex. Alton Towers, Thorpe Park) don't allow it either.  So its not like he has the excuse of being a foreigner and not being around parks that are more lax in that department.  

• Like 1

I was going to feel some sympathy for them until I saw Murray's reaction. I saw this linked on espn.com over the weekend (before they were asked to take it down) and thought about the phone rule instantly! I didn't know if they got special permission, or what.

I can guarantee even if it was the POTUS, The Queen of England or whoever, Doug Kramer would not allow “special permission” to do this on a ride. It would have to be installed with a rig on the train, and go through multiple checks before the train even left the station. I’ve been on enough shoots at the park to know this for a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Go figure @gforce1994. Just makes me wonder what Cedar Fair/Kings Island will do further about it. 

On edit: Probably the same rule as SV. 

If they wanted to make a point, they would issue a statement saying Andy Murray has been permanently banned from CF parks for his apparent disregard to rules and safety of others and reiterate that all guests are subject to such ban...

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

If they wanted to make a point, they would issue a statement saying Andy Murray has been permanently banned from CF parks for his apparent disregard to rules and safety of others and reiterate that all guests are subject to such ban...

True, and prosecute him since he broke the law and videoed himself doing so.

• Like 2

I don’t think the park actually cares. They were VIP guests and it was good publicity for them anyways. They just had to put out a statement so they don’t look like hypocrites in the future if they catch a guest doing the same thing.

His response was an a**hole comment though.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

I don’t think the park actually cares. They were VIP guests and it was good publicity for them anyways. They just had to put out a statement so they don’t look like hypocrites in the future if they catch a guest doing the same thing.

His response was an a**hole comment though.

No the park should care, as people are already being hit by phones on rides.

Some goofball encouraging the act, will only increase the risk for significant injury.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

No the park should care, as people are already being hit by phones on rides.

Some goofball encouraging the act, will only increase the risk for significant injury.

The park does care.  They handled this very well.  Those idiots put others in danger and not only disregarded the rules but were jerks about it.  They have no responded to the media coverage.  They shouldn't do it and shouldn't have to. 

• Like 1