Tennis players asked to take down on ride video at Kings Island

BoddaH1994

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

If they wanted to make a point, they would issue a statement saying Andy Murray has been permanently banned from CF parks for his apparent disregard to rules and safety of others and reiterate that all guests are subject to such ban...

Wish I could like this 1,000 times. What better way to set an example than to use a high profile jagoff to make a point. 

• Like 5

And just last week, he refused to participate in the Rogers Cup in Toronto at York University....not far at all from Wonderland by the way.

I wonder if he would go on with his anti-American rhetoric if he was told off by the officials at Canada's Wonderland for doing this on a ride on the Leviathan.

Your days are done Andy Murray.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The park does care.  They handled this very well.  Those idiots put others in danger and not only disregarded the rules but were jerks about it.  They have no responded to the media coverage.  They shouldn't do it and shouldn't have to. 

It is easy for us to be armchair quarterbacks (or in this case KI GM lol), and as I posted earlier, I think this would be a perfect opportunity for the park to make a point with a high profile person that I doubt will ever want to visit KI again anyway based on his reaction, but these things are unfortunately touchy guest relations areas and KI and CF are hopefully weighing the benefits/disadvantages of doing more versus doing nothing else.  Would making him the poster boy for what not to do be a costly mistake with little to no benefit or would it have meaningful impact and result in a major decline in this type of activity?  Nobody knows for sure.  It is easy to sit here and say throw the book at him...

It would be interesting to hear if Kentucky Kingdom, after their ban of a season pass holder for having a phone out on a ride, had any impact good or bad on their attendance or adherence to such policy...

14 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

It is easy for us to be armchair quarterbacks (or in this case KI GM lol), and as I posted earlier, I think this would be a perfect opportunity for the park to make a point with a high profile person that I doubt will ever want to visit KI again anyway based on his reaction, but these things are unfortunately touchy guest relations areas and KI and CF are hopefully weighing the benefits/disadvantages of doing more versus doing nothing else.  Would making him the poster boy for what not to do be a costly mistake with little to no benefit or would it have meaningful impact and result in a major decline in this type of activity?  Nobody knows for sure.  It is easy to sit here and say throw the book at him...

It would be interesting to hear if Kentucky Kingdom after their ban of a season pass holder for having a phone out on a ride had any impact good or bad on their attendance or adherence to such policy...

Under that presumption, if the president was at the park(as a VIP) participating in dangerous activities that put other guests at risk, you’d advise a cost analysis system to deal out punishment? 

Some Murray super fans will try to recreate the video, and someone might get hurt. They need to deal out the punishment.

17 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Under that presumption, if the president was at the park(as a VIP) participating in dangerous activities that put other guests at risk, you’d advise a cost analysis system to deal out punishment? 

Some Murray super fans will try to recreate the video, and someone might get hurt. They need to deal out the punishment.

No, I think make Murray the poster boy, but I am not in position to make that call for the park.  It would be a lot easier if everything was black/white, but our society is not wired that way.  The admission ticket clearly says no rainchecks, yet we know from time to time they will offer them as goodwill.  The policy's clearly state no recording on-ride and yet we have yet to hear of that actually being enforced.  Look at the situation at Kings Dominion - the poor girl needed stitches in her forehead, and the violator's cellphone was simply handed back to him and off he went without providing his name or any consequence for his action...

I agree with you, but I am also pointing out that park management does (or should) look at all the variables in deciding what to do...and for the poor person that is the victim of a flying cellphone, it is unfortunate more isn't/wasn't done...but until the financial penalty to the park exceeds whatever they deem would be the cost of enforcing said rule, we will continue to see these videos posted, unfortunately...

As Magenta Lizard openly suggests in response to other complaints on this forum, until guests go to the proper forum/channel and go to guest services and file complaints against the Andy Murray videos, or any other videos, the park will use the data they have to make a decision.  Maybe if they got hundreds of complaints a week form guests expressing they feared for their life or face because someone in front of them on said coaster had a phone out and complain the park is not effectively enforcing such policy, the park would have additional data points to work from in making a decision...

Did the member of this forum that got hit with a phone file a formal complaint at guest services?

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

No, I think make Murray the poster boy, but I am not in position to make that call for the park.  It would be a lot easier if everything was black/white, but our society is not wired that way.  The admission ticket clearly says no rainchecks, yet we know from time to time they will offer them as goodwill.  The policy's clearly state no recording on-ride and yet we have yet to hear of that actually being enforced.  Look at the situation at Kings Dominion - the poor girl needed stitches in her forehead, and the violator's cellphone was simply handed back to him and off he went without providing his name or any consequence for his action...

I agree with you, but I am also pointing out that park management does (or should) look at all the variables in deciding what to do...and for the poor person that is the victim of a flying cellphone, it is unfortunate more isn't/wasn't done...but until the financial penalty to the park exceeds whatever they deem would be the cost of enforcing said rule, we will continue to see these videos posted, unfortunately...

As Magenta Lizard openly suggests in response to other complaints on this forum, until guests go to the proper forum/channel and go to guest services and file complaints against the Andy Murray videos, or any other videos, the park will use the data they have to make a decision.  Maybe if they got hundreds of complaints a week form guests expressing they feared for their life or face because someone in front of them on said coaster had a phone out and complain the park is not effectively enforcing such policy, the park would have additional data points to work from in making a decision...

Did the member of this forum that got hit with a phone file a formal complaint at guest services?

Yes, it was reported.

4 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

As it occurred, the ride ops knew, first aid knew, and park security had the phone. The park should have dealt with it from there.

I suspect they simply handed the phone back to the person that lost it- an assault charge would have had a court hearing and the victimized member would have had to testify and the victim would know the resolution...

25 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I suspect they simply handed the phone back to the person that lost it- an assault charge would have had a court hearing and the victimized member would have had to testify and the victim would know the resolution...

And the fact that they handed the evidence back is baffling as their apparent inability of not taking a strong stance of banning those who do retake out phones on rides.

12 hours ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

You guys seem pretty butt hurt about something that literally nobody will remember in a week. Let’s calm it down a bit. Nobody got hurt and he was reprimanded. What do you expect them to do file charges? Extremely unlikely!

Only one upset is you. If you don't like, don't click on this thread. It's that simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You guys seem pretty butt hurt about something that literally nobody will remember in a week. Let’s calm it down a bit. Nobody got hurt and he was reprimanded. What do you expect them to do file charges? Extremely unlikely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And an attitude like this is the reason this type of issue will not get fixed. “Oh let’s just brush it under the rug and they will forget about it”. Finally someone will end up suffering brain damage or possibly die due to being struck in the head. Change doesn’t happen by being quiet.

• Like 6

^Exactly!  Countless people drive home drunk without incident, does that mean we shouldn't try to prevent that from happening?

I am sure the guy at Universal that lost an eye and the girl on Kings Dominion hospitalized with a concussion and laceration on her forehead needing stitches wishes the park had done something prior to their injuries!  And all the countless other injuries both reported and not reported from flying phones...

Universal now has metal detectors at their roller coasters for a reason...wonder what the reason was???? What will be the change at KI once something happens here????

• Like 3

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

^Exactly!  Countless people drive home drunk without incident, does that mean we shouldn't try to prevent that from happening?

I am sure the guy at Universal that lost an eye and the girl on Kings Dominion hospitalized with a concussion and laceration on her forehead needing stitches wishes the park had done something prior to their injuries!  And all the countless other injuries both reported and not reported from flying phones...

Universal now has metal detectors at their roller coasters for a reason...wonder what the reason was???? What will be the change at KI once something happens here????

Correct,  to further prove a point, the policies implemented at Universal after the blinding drive some people away. If they implemented the same rules at KI, it would be a mess.

I mean, it would be one thing if he broke the rules then took it down when asked.

He didn’t.

And he’s a jerk.

Sad part is, ATP has a fantastic reputation within Kings Island for being easy to work with. This guy acted on his own and kind of made them look bad.

• Like 6

Maybe they should install a no cell phone rule like at Steel Vengeance. Then let’s see all of you complain. Also, there is no way you could be charged with assault for having a phone fly out of your hand. That’s just ridiculous. Look up the laws before you spout nonsense. It’s a one off nothing burger at KI. They’re not going to ban or charge a VIP guest. I do agree he should have adhered to the rules but your remedies are just nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Maybe they should install a no cell phone rule like at Steel Vengeance. Then let’s see all of you complain. Also, there is no way you could be charged with assault for having a phone fly out of your hand. That’s just ridiculous. Look up the laws before you spout nonsense. It’s a one off nothing burger at KI. They’re not going to ban or charge a VIP guest. I do agree he should have adhered to the rules but your remedies are just nonsense.

I know the laws, apparently you do not, Ohio Revised Code (ORC) Section 2903.13 Assault Section B is clear:

Recklessly causing serious physical harm to another or to another’s unborn.

This is known as “simple assault,” and it is the least serious assault charge.

Ohio law does not require that you even try to hurt someone to be charged with assault. Furthermore, you do not have to intend harm or even cause harm in order to face criminal charges of assault. 

So yes, an assault charge can be levied on an individual, even more so considering there is already Ohio Revised Code (ORC) Section 1711.551 requiring riders to obey all warning and directions regarding riding a ride which the person would have already violated, so an assault charge is a simple add-on charge at that point...

People really do not realize the legal and financial severity of such a simple act as having a phone out on a ride...it's all fun and games until someone gets seriously injured, then the reality of the action becomes apparent (provided the park doesn't simply hand the phone back to offender and fails to get a name)...

• Like 4

^ The prospect of seriously injuring another guest should be more frightening than any criminal penalties that may result from doing so.

The offending patron at Kings Dominion fled the scene, and he was technically following the rules in effect at the time by having his phone in a pocket.

• Like 2