Questions about the trains

gforce1994

I’d say it’s possible, but in the current configuration highly unlikely.

If I remember correctly, there’s a cow catcher on the front of the locomotive and there is no front coupler on it. I think it’s just some kind of support bracket for the cow catcher.

4 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

In looking at the original trains that inspired the KI&MVRR, I noticed that they could run at the same speeds forwards and backwards. Are the KI trains able to do that, and if so, could they have a train push carriages instead of pulling them?

I am pretty sure the train engineer at Coasterstock has said this as well. I think that is correct. 

Well, I believe the Johnson bar is what controls the forward and reverse function on the steam trains.  In theory, they could go the same speed in reverse that they go backwards.  However, visibility would be an issue, if they had all six coaches in front of them.

15 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Well, I believe the Johnson bar is what controls the forward and reverse function on the steam trains.  In theory, they could go the same speed in reverse that they go backwards.  However, visibility would be an issue, if they had all six coaches in front of them.

True, however a rear view CCTV could help with visibility. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet train questions!

First off its actually really dangerous to run a train backwards at full speed for multiple reasons.

1.) All the power is still in the front of the train in the locomotive so if the train goes full speed in reverse and has to stop, the coaches will keep momentum going before it comes to a complete stop.

2.) The engineers wouldn't be able to see jack which would make it very dangerous to operate at full speed. If you notice when they back the trains up at night, they do it slowly and there's an engineer, or maintenance person on the rear coach with some type of communication device.

Now on the other hand, the locomotive can be rotated and can pull the train in reverse which is a lot safer because the engineer can still see relatively well. 

Skip to 2:08 to see what I mean.

In theroy the trains can go backwards, but it would involve the locomotive being coupled to the rear of the train and pulling it in the opposite direction- imagine the locomotive at the back of the train pulling it backwards under the shed, past the train shed, to Soak City, to the bridge, under Diamondback, and pulling into Rivertown.

Its possible to do but a lot of work to prepare, especially requiring a train to park the coaches in the station, having the decouple from the train and have it go around the whole circut then couple it to the rear car all before the park opens. Besides, I'm not confident that our locomotivea can pull a train because of their long cowcatchers and couplings in the front. 

In old days, cowcatchers could be placed on the tender so it wouldn't hit animals or people while going behind.

• Like 2