Kings Island 2019 Announcement on National Roller Coaster Day 8/16/18

Codyfryguy

7 hours ago, The Bat at night said:

Nope!  I completely agree!

I won’t renew my pass next year if they don’t have some sort of new coaster for next year! 

I’m sick of watching Cedar Point getting all the great coasters every year when we get a Bbq place and a water slide!

What a joke!

The idea that Cedar Point is getting all the great coasters and Kings Island is not is just insane.  Since Cedar Fair has purchased KI (2006) we have gotten 4 major coasters:  Firehawk, Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers.  Cedar Point has also installed 4 coasters in the same time period.  Canada's Wonderland has installed 3, Carowinds has installed 2, Kings Dominion has installed 3.  Some of the smaller parks like Dorney and Michagan's Adventure receive little to nothing from year to year.  We are hardly being neglected.  

Also Diamondback, Banshee and MT are considered some of the best of their type of ride and are all ranked highly in enthusiast polls such as the Coasterbuzz 100.

From time to time "off years" are required for general park improvements such as restaurants, and other upgrades.  For 2017 Cedar Point added some water slides and re branded their water park.

It is important to have a well rounded park that has stuff for everyone to do.  Not just roller coasters.  Our time will come again.  Just most likely not for 2019.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The document filed with the Warren County Recorder is a Notice of Commencement.  It lists the companies that will be providing services and/or materials for a future project or projects. (See Ohio Revised Code Section 1311.04)  From the Notice of Commencement, it appears that several things are going on.  One of the companies listed is the rigging company that hangs the lights on the Eiffel Tower for Winterfest.  There are several construction companies listed (I assume for the dorms that have been discussed).  Then B&M is listed as well; however, Clermont Steel Fabricators, the company that would provide the materials for a new B&M coaster, is conspicuous in its absence.  This will certainly be interesting.     

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BavarianBeatle said:

The document filed with the Warren County Recorder is a Notice of Commencement.  It lists the companies that will be providing services and/or materials for a future project or projects. (See Ohio Revised Code Section 1311.04)  From the Notice of Commencement, it appears that several things are going on.  One of the companies listed is the rigging company that hangs the lights on the Eiffel Tower for Winterfest.  There are several construction companies listed (I assume for the dorms that have been discussed).  Then B&M is listed as well; however, Clermont Steel Fabricators, the company that would provide the materials for a new B&M coaster, is conspicuous in its absence.  This will certainly be interesting.     

Clermont steel would not be listed because they do work for B&M.  They would not be a contractor that KI hires. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, jt37 said:

Clermont steel would not be listed because they do work for B&M.  They would not be a contractor that KI hires. 

Correct - the NOC would only be for contractors the Owners would directly contract or subcontract with to provide real improvements to the property, that would be subject to mechanic's liens.   Suppliers would not be included.

Ohio Revised Code Section 1311.04  (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1311.04)

• Like 3

I frequently read these forums, but never post, but after reading the legal documents posted over on Coaster Nation, mentioning the list of contractors including B&M, i am starting to think today's announcement will be announcing a phased project. If you have not looked over said documents i suggest you do. The part that stood out to me is Section 8: "Take notice that labor or work is about to begin on or materials are about to be furnished" this is followed by exhibit A which has all of the surveying coordinates (bunch of mubo jumbo to me, but might make sense to some) So i believe today will announce a Racer refirb, addition of antique cars, and some hinting at a large project getting ready to start (B&M GIGA) which land preparation will be begin for soon, and last through next season, with the coaster opening in 2020. That is my guess anyways!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, JubJester said:

Were you expecting a giga? You can be bummed out all year, the rest of us will be enjoying it and having fun!

Anyone who expected a coaster this year is being silly.

Fair enough.

Ill be excited to see the 2+hr plus waits for them so they can free up the waits for other rides. 

In all seriousness, I moved to the area 2 years ago(almost to the day) and before that I was a casual park vistior in other places like Dollywood, Lagoon, Great Escape, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. We would go maybe 5 times a year max and I had no idea of the industry speculation, history of the parks and the excitement associated with the parks. The past two years it all changed, my son got hooked on coasters and became an encyclopedia of sorts on Kings Island and Cedar Fair parks. This year we got platinum passes and made a few trips to Cedar Point and due to my best efforts of planning, the Carowinds, Michigan Adventure and Kings Dominion trips fell through. So, Im still learning on how all this goes... regardless I had a blast with my son speculating on the coaster.  We went up top of the tower and took pictures, scouted what one could via X base and Action Zone, printed out google maps drawing out tracks on how we suspected it might go and for those times it was definitely worth it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, malem said:

Welcome to KIC!

Most of us here like roller coasters a lot, but other types of rides round out the park experience. As a kid, before I got into coasters, my favorite rides were Phantom Theater, Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal, the antique cars, and the (original) Flying Eagles. I'd be thrilled to see any of them return.

Thanks for the welcome and understood on the other rides. 

Shake, rattle and roll,  monster and occasionally surf dog with Boo Blasters are our "take it easy" rides. 

If B&M were to install a Giga (or any large scale coaster) for 2019, we'd see obvious progress by this point.  Retracking The Racer, while needed would not drive new customers to the gate, neither would "tiques or a ferris wheel or similar flat.  KI also had no big announcement for this year (not that one was needed with the Banshee still being "new" and Mystic being "new" to the average guest) so as a result, i suspect that attendance at KI was down this year.

Now examine what they've done with their last 2 coaster installs:

Banshee, they not only installed Banshee, but they rethemed and painted The Bat, while also painting the swing ride (forget its name), did they repaint Drop Zone as well??  I want to say yes, but i can't recall.  They also installed the chicken place either at the same time or the year prior.

Mystic Timbers, Potatoe works moved to a nice new building, and the que for WWC was great enhanced by bringing back the Vine Tunnels that so many remembered and loved from their youth.

Last year a nice, new restaurant was added to Coney, also keep in mind its been several years since Coney has had anything added to it and its been a decade+ since anything major was added (if you want to included Firehawk as a Coney addition).  By resprucing up The Racer, adding in "Tiques and perhaps another Flat (Ferris Wheel for the Zodiac reference is my guess) is a good way to kick off a huge Coney refresher, it gives guest a reason to ride The Racer not only once for the update, but again and again and again to watch the construction of the 2020 B&M project.  It also gives you incentive to ride the Ferris Wheel again and again for an even better look at the 2020 construction.

So, with all that said, and the clues they've sent out, my official guess would be an update to The Racer and a return to one half being backwards.  Tiques going out in front of The Racer as diagrammed earlier (the DA area is way too hilly for Tiques), and a Ferris Wheel somewhere in the back.  The "Tiques pick up some sort of Model T/Barn yard themeing (remember the teasers about letting it "out of the barn" as well as the "Sooveniers" which makes me think Moo...cows).  I also think we get an obvious nod to a huge 2020 project the complement the 2019 additions, but they'll leave us hanging on what that huge addition is going to be, something they will officially announce this time next year, but with obvious signs that something huge is going in by the time next april comes around.

It will be awesome, no matter what I'm sure, I'd love a set of 'Tiques for my kids to experience, my oldest love getting to drive my daughter and myself around in the 'Tiques installed at Valley Fair 3 or 4 years ago, now my daughter would be old enough to drive us around, not to mention my youngest son who was still in my wife's stomach on that trip to Valley Fair

Even if there is no mention of a 2020 project or a large coaster, but you are dissapointed about the addition of 'tiques then you have no soul :)

• Like 4

If B&M were to install a Giga (or any large scale coaster) for 2019, we'd see obvious progress by this point.  Retracking The Racer, while needed would not drive new customers to the gate, neither would "tiques or a ferris wheel or similar flat.  KI also had no big announcement for this year (not that one was needed with the Banshee still being "new" and Mystic being "new" to the average guest) so as a result, i suspect that attendance at KI was down this year.
Now examine what they've done with their last 2 coaster installs:
Banshee, they not only installed Banshee, but they rethemed and painted The Bat, while also painting the swing ride (forget its name), did they repaint Drop Zone as well??  I want to say yes, but i can't recall.  They also installed the chicken place either at the same time or the year prior.
Mystic Timbers, Potatoe works moved to a nice new building, and the que for WWC was great enhanced by bringing back the Vine Tunnels that so many remembered and loved from their youth.
Last year a nice, new restaurant was added to Coney, also keep in mind its been several years since Coney has had anything added to it and its been a decade+ since anything major was added (if you want to included Firehawk as a Coney addition).  By resprucing up The Racer, adding in "Tiques and perhaps another Flat (Ferris Wheel for the Zodiac reference is my guess) is a good way to kick off a huge Coney refresher, it gives guest a reason to ride The Racer not only once for the update, but again and again and again to watch the construction of the 2020 B&M project.  It also gives you incentive to ride the Ferris Wheel again and again for an even better look at the 2020 construction.
So, with all that said, and the clues they've sent out, my official guess would be an update to The Racer and a return to one half being backwards.  Tiques going out in front of The Racer as diagrammed earlier (the DA area is way too hilly for Tiques), and a Ferris Wheel somewhere in the back.  The "Tiques pick up some sort of Model T/Barn yard themeing (remember the teasers about letting it "out of the barn" as well as the "Sooveniers" which makes me think Moo...cows).  I also think we get an obvious nod to a huge 2020 project the complement the 2019 additions, but they'll leave us hanging on what that huge addition is going to be, something they will officially announce this time next year, but with obvious signs that something huge is going in by the time next april comes around.
It will be awesome, no matter what I'm sure, I'd love a set of 'Tiques for my kids to experience, my oldest love getting to drive my daughter and myself around in the 'Tiques installed at Valley Fair 3 or 4 years ago, now my daughter would be old enough to drive us around, not to mention my youngest son who was still in my wife's stomach on that trip to Valley Fair
Even if there is no mention of a 2020 project or a large coaster, but you are dissapointed about the addition of 'tiques then you have no soul

I totally agree with you! To correct you, it was the Funnel Cake stand that was moved and the ride that was painted during Banshee construction, Delirium. I think Drop Tower did get painted, but it might’ve been 2012. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

^^Also worth noting, Delirium being painted was never announced. That ended up just being a surprise when we showed up for Media Day. Whatever they have contracted Baynum Painting to do, I don't think we'll necessarily hear about it.

Does Baynum do woodies? The coasters that really need painted are Vortex, Racer, and Diamondback. Of those, I'd imagine Vortex would be the one to get fresh paint, given that it needs it pretty badly and is in the same general area as the improvements we're speculating on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, homestar92 said:

^Also worth noting, Delirium being painted was never announced. That ended up just being a surprise when we showed up for Media Day. Whatever they have contracted Baynum Painting to do, I don't think we'll necessarily hear about it.

Does Baynum do woodies? The coasters that really need painted are Vortex, Racer, and Diamondback. Of those, I'd imagine Vortex would be the one to get fresh paint, given that it needs it pretty badly and is in the same general area as the improvements we're speculating on.

Baynum got its' start by staining The Beast.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Old_Bearcat said:

On the First page of the 

image.png

Looks like multi-year phased upgrades are in the works. Tomorrow we may only hear about what is immediate; however, for everything to work together they are planning ahead

Yeah, that's a big one. Pretty much shows that 2020 is the big prize. 2019 will be continuing to get the area ready for the Giga. The Taxis seem likely as well as a Racer refurb with returning backwards cars. A Zodiac is hinted as well, so maybe a flat package. Mainly all just cheap things to improve the area and make it look better for the massive crowds the next year. If someone knows how to plot coords, those docs may even show the location of the Giga. 

Good find. 

Edit: As there is no mention of RMC or any other coaster manufacturer, I'd rule out any major change to Racer. Might just be paint and lights. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Yeah, that's a big one. Pretty much shows that 2020 is the big prize. 2019 will be continuing to get the area ready for the Giga. The Taxis seem likely as well as a Racer refurb with returning backwards cars. A Zodiac is hinted as well, so maybe a flat package. Mainly all just cheap things to improve the area and make it look better for the massive crowds the next year. If someone knows how to plot coords, those docs may even show the location of the Giga. 

Good find. 

The coordinates (metes and bounds) within the Notice are a only a description of the perimeters of the parcels (land) that is owned by the park.

41 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

Of those, I'd imagine Vortex would be the one to get fresh paint, given that it needs it pretty badly and is in the same general area as the improvements we're speculating on.

The rails on Vortex are so faded it looks blue and yellow which displeases me as an Ohio State fan. It would be cool if they painted the entire track FC Cincinnati Orange, if not just the rails, and kept the supports that dark blue.

colorscheme.png

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Old_Bearcat said:

The coordinates (metes and bounds) within the Notice are a only a description of the perimeters of the parcels (land) that is owned by the park.

I was referring more to the various smaller tracts it describes, but, after looking closer, you are right. They probably are just overall property descriptions as they appear as part of the deed.