Yukon Striker/Winterfest New for 2019 at Canada's Wonderland

More official details on the Canada`s Wonderland website here:  https://www.canadaswonderland.com/play/rides/yukon-striker

It is indeed the worlds tallest, fastest, longest dive coaster taking the records from Valravn.

Also, Canada`s Wonderland announced that they will be hosting WinterFest in 2019.  https://www.canadaswonderland.com/play/winterfest That means that starting next year, all five former Paramount Parks will now have WinterFest events, and are joined by Worlds of Fun.  I wonder if other parks will join in (Dorney?).

• Like 5

Here is a look!

Ride Stats

Designed by: Bolliger & Mabillard 
Coaster type: Dive
Height of drop: 245 feet (75 metres) *includes underground tunnel
Top Speed: 130 km/h (80 mph)
Inversions: 4
Length: 3,625 feet (1,105 metres)
Duration: 3 minutes, 25 seconds
Trains: 3
Riders per Train: 24

• Like 1

Great addition for the park up north.  I also like how they're utilizing Sky Rider's paint scheme.

With this along with a few other coasters that say otherwise, can we please stop pretending that Cedar Fair isn't willing to build rides that take records from Cedar Point, even if they're close?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

With this along with a few other coasters that say otherwise, can we please stop pretending that Cedar Fair isn't willing to build rides that take records from Cedar Point, even if they're close?

Retweet

1 hour ago, sixohdieselrage said:

So, Valravn will have to change their signs saying the biggest, etc now. :lol:

They could change the stats to be exclusive to America- "tallest dive in the US" and so on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coasterfanatic2012 said:

Up until the MCBR, this ride looks like it has the chance to be the best dive coaster out there. After the MCBR... meh.

Overall, this looks like a great addition for the park. 

That sounds like everyone's reaction to every dive coaster ever. :D

• Like 2

Yukon Striker looks great. The vertical loop is kinda random (and reminds me of those "Vertical Drop Coaster"s on Roller Coaster Tycoon lol), but I get that it's a tribute to Sky Rider. And just as Valravn has a specfic personality, I picture this ride having one as well... when I heard it would have the same seating arrangement as V, I pictured the vehicles as a bearded Prospector looking for gold (think Gold Striker(CGA)'s logo). Can't wait to ride this as well as all the unique flats Canada's Wonderland has to offer!

• Like 1

^^^ I've only ridden 2... Enjoyed Griffon way more Valravn… Worries me slightly because of the CW fanboys thinking that drop height/speed/#of inversions guarantees a better ride...

Not sure if it's just me, but I can't tell how much I'll like a ride by watching videos of it... It just doesn't translate for me...

This is all great news, and especially Winterfest.

However, I am sort of lukewarm about the addition of Frontier Canada, call me pessimistic but that was something I was glad that they skipped out on originally.

It seems like a forced Canadian Content concept, which was something some protestors of Wonderland demanded form the beginning. It's the kind of tackiness that's the same kind of thing if a Disney Park opened here and there'd just have to be Mickey in an RCMP ceremonial uniform.

I'm not exactly sure why Cedar Fair all of a sudden is obsessed with tacky Canadiana theming that doesn't resonate with anything in the modern Greater Toronto Area.

Because thumping the patriotism drum is easy, and reaps profits??? Look how successful the CW Canada 150 stuff was... 

I mean Tim Hortons has been playing the 'cup of canadiana' card for years, and its been insanely successful for a sub-par donut chain founded by a guy who died while drinking and driving...

• Like 1

You sure about that, was the 2017 season much more successful because it happened to happen on the 150th anniversary of when Queen Victoria decided to unite three British colonies and split one of them into two pieces?

Id like to see the numbers to prove that Canada’s Wonderland was more successful despite this.

The whole Canada 150 movement was met with indifference in reality. Many were angry that the government was spending any money at all on Canada 150.

i don’t really want to get deep into politics as I’m assumed that’s not tolerated here. 

21 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

You sure about that, was the 2017 season much more successful because it happened to happen on the 150th anniversary of when Queen Victoria decided to unite three British colonies and split one of them into two pieces?

Id like to see the numbers to prove that Canada’s Wonderland was more successful despite this.

The whole Canada 150 movement was met with indifference in reality. Many were angry that the government was spending any money at all on Canada 150.

i don’t really want to get deep into politics as I’m assumed that’s not tolerated here. 

I'm referring solely to the parks portion, not the various things done in communities across the country… The parks tie-in activities last year went over well, which is why they had 'Celebration Canada' for the entire month of July this year...

• 1 month later...

I think YK is going to be the first of many that break from the typical dive coaster mold. This one is the closest thing we've seen to an out-and-back layout for a Dive Machine and it is the first to incorporate a vertical loop. Hopefully we'll start to see more Dive machines that take inspiration from traditional looping coasters with more elements, inversions, and such. The 200+ft drop can stay the same, but I'm hoping that we get some tighter elements and less copied layouts in the future.

• Like 2