Kings Island Announces Kings Mills Antique Autos for 2019!

38 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

Cedar Point gets Steel Vengance. Kings Island gets some dilapidated cars that go in a circle at 5mph. We truly are blessed. 

Cedar Point makes way more money than Kings Island. Also I'd think you would notice the timelines between coasters. We weren't going to get a coaster. 

We will all be enjoying this announcement, and the rest of you trolls and complainers can be miserable for the rest of the year, and next year.

• Like 7

I feel bad for the people who actually thought a coaster was coming to KI in 2019. There was literally ZERO evidence that a coaster was coming. No footings, no major land clearings, etc. Sure there were posters up teasing Adventure Express and Son of Beast but there were also posters all across the chain concerning multiple coasters as well. If you were truly expecting a new coaster off of two random posters and no clear construction evidence then that is on you. I for one am glad the Antique Cars are back and my kiddos will love having another fun ride to get on when we visit next year! 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

Obviously.  I'm guessing it's because Cedar Fair blesses them with rides people will actually pay to ride.

Obviously, you're aren't thinking. Cedar Point is a Destination. They have multiple resorts. They have a beach. Income is much better. 

We just got Mystic Timbers. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Joncars05 said:

I feel bad for the people who actually thought a coaster was coming to KI in 2009. There was literally ZERO evidence that a coaster was coming. No footings, no major land clearings, etc. Sure there were posters up teasing Adventure Express and Son of Beast but there were also posters all across the chain concerning multiple coasters as well. If you were truly expecting a new coaster off of two random posters and no clear construction evidence than that is on you. I for one am glad the Antique Cars are back and my kiddos will love having another fun ride to get on when we visit next year! 

I dont feel bad for those people, because of your reasons. People got themselves hyped up. Hell, the shed was a little bit of a letdown because of the hype, this, not so much IMO. 

• Like 2

I think the antiques will bring back a sorely missed part of the park. It’s also a minor investment along with last year’s minor investment. I’m guessing both 2018 and 2019 additions cost total around $4 million.

Those expecting 2019 to be a coaster year were dreaming. 2020 could be a coaster year with B&M being mentioned in the commencement plans. Will any of the teasers/Easter eggs tie in? We’ll find out next year.

Let’s hope we get a new monster coaster in the near future but until then enjoy our new antiques!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

In reality the location and what they are placing in that area makes sense... honestly when was the last time someone truly played attention to that section of coney mall (removal of dinos does not count)... I always felt that area had a lack of things to do even when Dinosaurs Alive was still in that area... I for one am excited for the return of antique cars. And like it's been stated in past threads Kings Island will get another big attraction in coming years just be patient and "enjoy the ride" :D

Edited by Codyfryguy
  • Like 5

Do that many people really ride these? Don't get me wrong they have a place, but I've always felt tiques' were a little more like a kids ride. 

I can never see myself as an adult driving one of these and enjoying it. Maybe with a group of friends and being slightly rambunctious but yeah.

Like I also said, don't get me wrong they have their place. But i don't think it's going to be a huge people bringer. 

Did they announced anything else smaller?

• Like 1

Do that many people really ride these? Don't get me wrong they have a place, but I've always felt tiques' were a little more like a kids ride. 

I can never see myself as an adult driving one of these and enjoying it. Maybe with a group of friends and being slightly rambunctious but yeah.

Like I also said, don't get me wrong they have their place. But i don't think it's going to be a huge people bringer. 
Did they announced anything else smaller?
I personally dont believe they are looking for this to be a huge people/crowd bringer... I think they are trying to appeal to the older and younger park goers by giving them more to do... and also giving those who are old enough to remember the nostalgia of being able to do somthing that was there when they were younger

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 8

FYI, I didn't mean to sound entitled or crap on anyone's parade.  It's great that you all are excited for this.  I shouldn't be trolling the thread because I don't get it.  Truth be told I've ridden two roller coasters this year in total because I spend the time there with my kids.  I just wanted something that would put KI on the map.  A point of pride to rally behind.  I will not comment any more in this thread, as I seem to have upset some people.  Sorry about that.  Have a good day everyone.

• Like 2

After looking at the layouts of car rides at other parks,  It would be feasible to fit the entire layout on that one side.  I'm guessing all those buildings and the FC pad are gone though unless they get creative.  

Also, this'll make for some nice photo opportunities for Racer.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

FYI, I didn't mean to sound entitled or crap on anyone's parade.  It's great that you all are excited for this.  I shouldn't be trolling the thread because I don't get it.  Truth be told I've ridden two roller coasters this year in total because I spend the time there with my kids.  I just wanted something that would put KI on the map.  A point of pride to rally behind.  I will not comment any more in this thread, as I seem to have upset some people.  Sorry about that.  Have a good day everyone.

KI has the longest wooden coaster in the world, the longest inverted coaster in the world, one of the top rated hyper coasters in the world, one of the tallest Drop Towers in the world, and an assortment of other rides.  Its not like KI has dropped off the map, so I don't understand this line of thought that the park needs something to put them 'on the map' when they're securely on said map.  Some of the rides you mentioned as being mediocre are rides that the GP laps up (trust me, they love Diamondback and Banshee, though I will agree with you on their viewing of Firehawk).  Mystic Timbers may not have had the same draw, but they obviously like it a lot regardless of how it came off.  

Yes, the chain saw some drop in attendance, but in going with what @stashua123 has previously brought up, the park was bound for a drop after some pretty steady growth.  The ups come with the downs.  I still trust KI and CF management to still be successful regardless of those ailments.  

• Like 10

I like this addition. Antique Cars really aren't my thing, though if this set has nice scenery added that could be a different story, but this will be a great ride for older people and kids outside Planet Snoopy. The removal of the original cars in 2004 was one of Paramount's biggest mistakes, and it seems Cedar Fair wants to fix and undo as many of Paramount's mistakes as they can. If they are putting ALL of it on one side of Racer though, that is gonna be pretty cramped, I would think.

I was kinda hoping Racer would get a re-track and stuff though, which I guess it still can (they wouldn't really need to even announce that) but I'll still ride it as it is for now. I never really bought into "ZOMG SON O' BEAST IS RETURNING!!!" because that was based on 1 poster at Cedar Point (WTF why would they even tease a new KI ride there and not at KI!?!?) and some Son of Beast logo symbols Mystic Timbers has had since 2017. Kings Island does not tease new coasters that way. Now, if a big construction fence pops up, there is actual land clearing, and there are posters on said fence (if the "leaked" documents are true, we may see this next year) then you probably have a new coaster coming. This is how Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers all were.

• Like 9

I think from the wording that Mike Koontz said, it being 'alongside The Racer and across the Jutebox Diner', sounds like it being just on one side of The Racer.   I wonder how much land though?  That whole side from Dinosaurs Alive entrance to where the empty building that's only used for Halloween Haunt possibly?  If so they have plenty of room, and that'll be a good sized Antique Car ride.  I hope we'll see some drawings soon of what it will look like.  

• Like 3

It’s cool that KI is getting a new installation.   I had this sinking feeling it was going to be a hand-me-down from CP.  

When I was a kid the thing to do on the antique cars at SFSTL was bump two cars on a tight turn so the bumpers would lock and a ride op would have to run over and stand on one bumper to separate them.  Opps.   Fun times.  :P

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

@McSalsa- some local news stations were running with a return of SOB as a possibility adding fuel to that fire.  Even my parents thought it was a possibility and they don't follow the industry.  

Yup- I knew about that, I imagine that was probably from people who work at those local news stations looking at sites like this and seeing people post about the "teasers" (which were really probably just easter eggs) and going "Wow, this will make a great story for our news site!". And they just interview some random people and stuff, and bam, quick news story based on rumors.

If the 2020 "leak" is true (or whenever the next big coaster comes), I wonder how these guys are gonna respond to/cover ACTUAL teasers the park puts out. I expect it will probably get pretty crazy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

If the 2020 "leak" is true (or whenever the next big coaster comes), I wonder how these guys are gonna respond to/cover ACTUAL teasers the park puts out. I expect it will probably get pretty crazy.

Old_Bearcat, boddaH1994 and I have found a document about a future project concering the return of a certain swiss coaster manufacturer in 2020. You can see it on the giga speculation thread if you wanna speculate future stuff!

I know people were hoping for a Racer overhaul but remember that parks usually don't announce that stuff. Gravity Group did some work on the late Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion and the park didn't make any special announcement for it. So the possibility of Racer getting some work done isn't dead. 

Back to the subject, I'm wondering if we'll see and Ginkgo trees while riding the cars?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Voicetek said:

This is great and all, but what was all that stuff about "Outpost 5" and the quotes from the Adventure Express loading station on the posters found at Cedar Point? Not sure how the Antique Cars fit in with all the posters and leaks that have come out recently.

Maybe those things weren't teasers at all? Maybe they were just fun, meaningless Easter eggs? Perhaps, as happens too often, enthusiasts made a big deal about nothing?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Old_Bearcat, boddaH1994 and I have found a document about a future project concering the return of a certain swiss coaster manufacturer in 2020. You can see it on the giga speculation thread if you wanna speculate future stuff!

I know people were hoping for a Racer overhaul but remember that parks usually don't announce that stuff. Gravity Group did some work on the late Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion and the park didn't make any special announcement for it. So the possibility of Racer getting some work done isn't dead. 

Back to the subject, I'm wondering if we'll see and Ginkgo trees while riding the cars?

That document is actually exactly what I meant by "leak". It is very interesting, being honest- though I will post my speculations over in that thread, not here.

Also Ginkgo Trees would be a awesome thing to bring back.:P

• Like 2