Kings Island Announces Kings Mills Antique Autos for 2019!

Just now, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

This is a good addition in my mind.  It sounds like the old Zodiac/Flight Commander space will finally be reworked after sitting (mostly) vacant for over 20 years!  

I think it will be interesting to see the area of construction in Coney Mall.  Coney Mall is my pick for the location of a future Giga, so we'll have to see if any "extra" clearing is done for a future station/queue/etc.  If anything is a trend with new coasters these days, it's that construction often starts as much as 2 years before the ride opens.  

Team Terpy.

They started cutting down trees in very late 2007 for Diamondback. If it’s a 2020 deal we may see something as early as this year.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

When I was a kid the thing to do on the antique cars at SFSTL was bump two cars on a tight turn so the bumpers would lock and a ride op would have to run over and stand on one bumper to separate them.  Opps.   Fun times.  :P

Hey now,

IMG_1364.JPG

(It had been raining since park open, so please excuse the hair)

I don't know if the ultimate vehicles may be electric (although certain word choice during the announcement led us to believe they will be gas) but this one definitely was not. I was a little worried we all were going to be asphyxiated from them driving it in an enclosed space. Could certainly smell it, and I wasn't super-close. 

(Oh, and note from my pic that someone at KI seems to have a good sense of humor about those who took a little Easter egg on a theming poster at Cedar Point and blew it into such a mountain that the local news picked it up. Number 5 is alive, indeed!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Well, we all know how well KI enforces the rules once you are on the ride, so there is hope.  However notice the circled “Anti-collision system available” on this sell sheet.  Would be a real bummer if KI forked out the extra cash for this.  

56201B33-C564-416C-8950-D84E81255DBA.thumb.jpeg.aaf600409e1a297a0f41053b8dbf029a.jpeg

Well you guys are talking about maybe bumping each other and the park does read the boards. I’m just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

Well you guys are talking about maybe bumping each other and the park does read the boards. I’m just saying... emoji55.png

Nah, my days of bumping cars are over.  If I want whiplash Vortex is just across the midway.  

I am sure the park is well aware that when it comes to adolescent boys and cars their primary goal is to crash them.  Always has been and always will be.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

^ which is also why "Controlled center guide rail slip clutch steering prevents abuse"

The cars don't say "Do Not Bump" for no reason. It's always been a sort of goal for some riders. Once you're too old to get excited about being able to drive at 5 mph, one starts looking for other forms of entertainment...

Actually, one can hook the bumpers of the cars together. Like an certain notorious activity on an aerial joy ride, it is frowned upon by the parks.

• Like 1

Great return of a classic. Pulls on the nostalgia strings and rounds out the park. Poor platform/execution on the reveal though being national rollercoaster day. An announcement the day before or after would have been just as impactful without annoying fans. Was an obvious misdirection. No one can disagree with that. 

I think a bigger impact would have been a lower key reveal with maybe tying into a whole everything old is new again into a summer campaign with merchandise (like retro t-shirts of old park ride logos or return of old park merchandise). Maybe some photo ops with Skylab backdrop or enchanted voyage props...You're welcome KI marketing department for the idea ; )

The "we got ya" feel thrill seekers were left with doesn't sit well and was unnecessary. No one expects yearly coasters but, traditionally, reveal build ups like these have leaned that way.

Just my .02. Looking forward for a spin on the cars next year.

• Like 1

The thrill seekers did this to themselves not the park. They hyped themselves up over some posters at Cedar Point with easter eggs of other Cedar Fair Parks. Why would Cedar Point advertise a ride for Kings Island, but not Kings Island themselves? If there was a roller coaster for next year, we would’ve seen construction start at the beginning of the year. There would’ve been a construction fence with teaser posters all over like Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers.

• Like 7

^ Retweet! I may be a huge coaster fan but I am still excited about the antique cars!

Not every new addition to the park has to be a coaster, especially since Kings Island already has 15 of them. We must be patient. In the meantime, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride...on our new antique cars!

• Like 8

Is it wrong that I was hoping for 2 sets of 'Tiques and for them to replace Backlot?? :D Oh well. Count me in the absolutely thrilled and satisfied camp. My only hope/concern is that the track layout will be very twisty and contain a plethora of trees, bushes, bridges, tunnels, and water features. I really don't want concrete slabs for days.

• Like 8

I’m fine with the cars coming back, but that’s a really cheap addition to the park. If they’d have said they were putting in a zodiac or some other thrill ride as well, I’d be fine with it. In the grand scheme of things, the thrill rides are extremely lacking.

Need to get some new flats. Seriously. No more kiddie rides. More flat thrill rides. We don’t immediately need a new coaster, but don’t act like this is some big deal. The announcement is ‘Meh’.

• Like 1

So apparently the reporter who reported the Son of Beast revival story is now blaming roller coaster enthusiasts for the infamous story. This is pure insanity. 

Regardless, I am pumped for the Antique Cars!

They were the ones that started this outrageous rumor. So the reporter was correct.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

So apparently the reporter who reported the Son of Beast revival story is now blaming roller coaster enthusiasts for the infamous story. This is pure insanity. 

Regardless, I am pumped for the Antique Cars!

News reporter actually right for once.

Cedar Point made those easter egg posters, and the fans ran with it. Knott's was referenced in them too and I can confirm no such thing existed at Knott's, just like it was non existent at KI.

• Like 3