Kings Island Announces Kings Mills Antique Autos for 2019!

1 hour ago, faeriewench said:

News reporter actually right for once.

Cedar Point made those easter egg posters, and the fans ran with it. Knott's was referenced in them too and I can confirm no such thing existed at Knott's, just like it was non existent at KI.

He was not blaming the one who made the video, he was blaming all of us in general, even though we correctly guessed the park was getting tiques.

• Like 2

I love this! I can't wait to see how Coney Mall will look next year with the Antique Cars. Hopefully, this trend of revivals continues and, dare I say, brings about the return of a certain Maestro and his theater. A little wishful thinking is healthy.

Les Taxi lives again!

• Like 8

So now that the dust has settled, or hopefully started to at least, my thoughts in no particular order:

• The ONLY misdirection by the park here was holding the announcement on National Roller Coaster Day, but even that was justified by also being the anniversary of the date the old 'tiques closed. Anyone who thinks the park deliberately misled them is deluding themselves.
  • I don't get the mentality by some "enthusiasts" (scare quotes for a reason) that the park is obligated to put in a big new roller coaster every year and that they have to complain loudly when the park does something else. Enthusiasts are only one demographic, and a pretty small demographic. Families pay the park's bills.
  • And on that note, this is something the whole family can do together. My 67-year-old dad, when he saw it, said "finally, something I can ride!" My 64-year-old mom is excited for it too. This is something parents and grandparents can ride. That is important.
  • Although my parents took me to Paramount's Kings Island a few times as a kid in the mid-90s, I have almost no memories of the park in those days. But one that has stuck with me is riding the antique cars, and how I was scared of the big rides but loved the scenery and driving the cars. So yes, I'm excited for it too. It's childhood nostalgia for me.
  • It's awesome to see the park correcting the biggest mistakes made by Viacom. First we got flying scooters again (even if they aren't as good as the originals), and now 'tiques. I can finally begin to forgive Viacom for the travesty of what we now call Backlot Stunt Coaster.
  • Although it wasn't announced, I hope Racer gets some substantial track work and refurbishment, including a paint job. Such routine things aren't generally announced this far in advance or at a big public presentation like this. Much more likely that it would just be a post on the park's blog around February or something like that talking about it, perhaps even with pictures of the partially completed work.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

We sometimes bring my parents along on bring-a-friend Sunday's. They're mid-70's, and will absolutely love letting our tweens get behind the wheel and take them for a spin. Something fun for them to do with their grand-children, and a better guest experience for them and their grand-kids. And the park will have some extra spenders in the park as a result. Win-win-win.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It has been two days since the big announcement. I was hoping for a bigger plan being announced that included into the 2020 season. After thinking about it I am very pleased with the direction that has been chosen.  At first I was disappointed for selfish reasons, but when I informed my children they were very excited. Just a few weeks ago we were at Cedar Point for the first time, and they drove the antique cars there, three times. I never thought they would enjoy them because they are such coaster fans. Now looking at it through their eyes, and the park needing a reason to get people excited for upcoming seasons I cannot wait until I am driven around the course by my children.  Good move Kings Island to please the families, and people who do not or cannot enjoy the wilder rides. I think it will bring a lot of life back to a section of the park that needs it. 

• Like 6

One big benefit as others have mentioned is that it gives something that kids and grandparents are able to do outside of Planet Snoopy.  One other benefit of having something to entice grandparents is that they will potentially spend more money on food and beverage as well as buying souvenirs for their grandkids.  This could be as good of a low cost big return attraction that the park could have done.

• Like 5

On 8/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

People say the park has too many coasters and not enough family ride.  People want the old cars back.  Kings Island gives it to them and everyone complains. Can't make people happy any more.  Just be glad the park is getting something new. 

Most of the people I know are happy about it. When you have a place attended by so many people, there are always going to be those that complain when they do not get what they want every time. That doesn't mean that most people do not like it. There are always going to be those who want nothing but thrill rides and you could give them a new thrill ride 4 years in a row, and if they don't get it the 5th year, they will complain. I think this represents a small percentage though. I love coasters as much as anyone, but I love variety. Amusement parks used to be about variety. I like to see a park have some nice, quality adult non-thrill rides to add some variety to the day. This addition certainly adds to the variety at the park. It is the type of attraction that also, with its landscaping, makes the park more attractive and scenic to look at.

• Like 7

^I was thinking about what area of the park it would be nice to add a fountain or something similar,  looked at Google Earth and the only place that doesn't really have anything is Coney Mall. A few days later we have the 2019 Antique Car's returning,  with nice landscaping, water features and a bridge and more!!!   It sounds like Kings Island is going to try and make the new car ride as close to Les Taxis as they can, I think we're in for a treat!  

• Like 3

That part of the park was always dead in my opinion and wasted a ton of potential space. I'm happy they're finally doing something with that as well as taking care of the Flight Commander pad that was just sitting there. It would have been, "uncomfortable" if they decided to keep the pad and add a new flat ride there, especially considering what happened back in 1991.

old area.png

I've asked this question on the Haunt 2018 thread, but do you guys think Killmart will be gone after this year or do you think the cars will coexist with the current building?

• Like 4

I personally hope it gets removed. The other buildings used strictly for haunt are more hidden from the main paths, Blackout is behind a fence, Urgent Scare back in the old theatre inside The Racer turnaround, the crypt building is obvious but it isn't a clear sign of haunt. Whereas Killmart is right on the main strip of Coney Mall and it just looks bad with it being a large boarded up building made to look dilapidated. It is a decent theme and a newer house but think it would be better served to be revamped in another area.

• Like 6

On 8/16/2018 at 10:13 PM, Shawn Meyer said:

Anyway, the one thing I'm wondering now is once Halloween is over with, do they tear down certain buildings to make it work? Like I'm confused of what building is what in this google earth image here. I know on the far left is where they normally have one of the haunts, but after that I'm lost.

^^See you guys are asking about it now, but when I asked everyone skipped over me on page 5. Yes I'm quoting myself to prove that I asked this question.

• Like 1

First things first, I am so unbelievably giddy upon news of the 'Tiques returning to the Island. 

Secondly, now I feel a weird suspicion as if this addition is part of a multi-phase expansion that would see the addition of a brand new area to the park where Dinosaurs Alive! once stood. See crude blue-sky plans below.

Essentially a path reaching from Firehawk's exit/photo booth that snakes around the maintenance buildings almost mirroring the maintenance road and merging into the former path of DA. The original entrance to DA would serve as the second access point to the new area, with the entrance/exit to Antique Autos at its mouth. Another crazy idea is to re-purpose the former Action Theater into a dark ride (*cough*Phantom Theater RIP[Reconstruction In Progress]*cough*) and have its own path connecting to both the new area and Action Theater's former exit beside Windy Seeker. Two flat rides go in (one for X-Base and one for the new land), install a new bathroom across from Flight of Fear (where Chaos/Board 2 Death Haunt maze is now) and the roller coaster, of course, lies within most of DA to do its coaster thing. Oh, and a gift shop and eating place.

dem plans doe.png

• Like 8

On 8/16/2018 at 2:16 PM, Voicetek said:

This is great and all, but what was all that stuff about "Outpost 5" and the quotes from the Adventure Express loading station on the posters found at Cedar Point? Not sure how the Antique Cars fit in with all the posters and leaks that have come out recently.

What did the posters look like,I haven’t been too active recently/up to date on coaster news and etc

EDIT:sorry about this comment,I started on the first page of this feed and I didn’t see how many pages there were yet,and I was completely confused about it,sorry 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopan said:

Ok i have a stupid question(only because busy year so haven't got to go since very early season). Some have said its going where dinos were. Did they close down the dinos this year?

Dino's closed last year and were removed this year. It hasn't been stated if the cars will go in that area or not.

• Like 1

Here is my full opinion about this announcement 

Positve side

1.we are finally getting antique cars back

Negative Side

1.bad location,with the recent (yes I know it was last year but I’m going to say it was recent) closer of DA,that leaves tons of trail space that could be used for antique cars and it would make it feel special for newcomers who have never heard of it yet 

2.just like Mystic Timbers(the shed in particular),so much hype was put into this(even though it was last minute hype,it still gained tons of attention) and then they let most of the SOB fanbase down

3.in my opinion,in order to make this version of antique cars cool/special,so much refurb is needed in that area that it would probably take a long period of time

4.if Cedar Fair had fully looked into what they produce (I’m talking about those outpost 5 posters people) then they would have fully known how many people would believe that sob was return,this announcement is what I believe to be poor marketing for a ride and a mistake by Cedar Fair/Kings Island.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, King Ding Dong said:

Well, we all know how well KI enforces the rules once you are on the ride, so there is hope.  However notice the circled “Anti-collision system available” on this sell sheet.  Would be a real bummer if KI forked out the extra cash for this.  :(

56201B33-C564-416C-8950-D84E81255DBA.jpeg

Judging by the line 'Controlled Center Guide Rail slip clutch steering prevents abuse', yes they are as you term it 'driveable'...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OTTER9919 said:

2.just like Mystic Timbers(the shed in particular),so much hype was put into this(even though it was last minute hype,it still gained tons of attention) and then they let most of the SOB fanbase down.

4.if Cedar Fair had fully looked into what they produce (I’m talking about those outpost 5 posters people) then they would have fully known how many people would believe that sob was return,this announcement is what I believe to be poor marketing for a ride and a mistake by Cedar Fair/Kings Island.

On Wednesday there was an announcement for Thursday. That's all the park was responsible for with creating hype. Not sure what constitutes attention. Social media makes keeping anything secret impossible.

As stated in my post a few pages back. Kings Island had nothing to do with creating hope that a coaster was coming leading up to the announcement. The posters/teasers were not made by anyone at Kings Island.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

On Wednesday there was an announcement for Thursday. That's all the park was responsible for with creating hype. Not sure what constitutes attention. Social media makes keeping anything secret impossible.

As stated in my post a few pages back. Kings Island had nothing to do with creating hope that a coaster was coming leading up to the announcement. The posters/teasers were not made by anyone at Kings Island.

Before I rant about this,I’m not trying to sound rude or mean about this

1.Kings Island is owned by Cedar Fair right,they made the posters right?

2.did I state that anyone at KI had made those posters,NO!

3. In my second opinion on the negative side thing,I was only comparing the hype with Mystic Timbers because if you recall,there was so much hype in both mystic and antique,but when the shed was revealed,everyone believed that they put too much hype into it,same with antique,if they go out and say something is coming back,what major ride comes to mind SOB,and then when antique was announced,the same effect happened 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

Quick question, can the antique cars actually be driven? The ones at Wonderland are simply a car ride that runs on a track and you pretend that you drive. But is there a level of control with the vehicles?

Yes, antique car rides like this have a single pedal (press for gas, release to brake) and a working steering wheel. A guide rail prevents riders from drifting off course, but it is otherwise fully rider-controlled.

• Like 1

And it doesn't say "Outpost 5", it says "Number 5"', its not the same thing... People took little pieces of Easter eggs like the wood at the grave (been there for many months),  KI posting The Racer and The Beast on their social media to celebrate national roller coaster day,  sightings of Fred Grubb,  Don posting about his favorite coaster around the same time (he does that), etc, ect,  to make the announcement about a new rmc sob, when the park said those teasers have nothing to do with KI.  The teasers are for Cedar Point or other parks, and even during the announcement, they said it was about something that happened in 2004.  Its not the parks fault, fans just got carried away...

• Like 6

Ok guys,let’s not get off topic now,in my opinion,I’m very excited for this and I think this is good decision but it came too late,the area of where it’s supposed to be at has been down for a few years now,if we hadn’t gotten this announcement a few years ago,It would’ve been a good move by KI 

• Like 1

Ok guys,let’s not get off topic now,in my opinion,I’m very excited for this and I think this is good decision but it came too late,the area of where it’s supposed to be at has been down for a few years now,if we hadn’t gotten this announcement a few years ago,It would’ve been a good move by KI 

What area are you talking about that has been down for a few year ago? The Antique Cars are going to built where Killmart, Flight Commander pad is and Dinosaurs Alive entrance is. Here’s a satellite image of the cars’ location.ce11052e5a4fec3d71800b5645fa11ee.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

What area are you talking about that has been down for a few year ago? The Antique Cars are going to built where Killmart, Flight Commander pad is and Dinosaurs Alive entrance is. Here’s a satellite image of the cars’ location.ce11052e5a4fec3d71800b5645fa11ee.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flight commander pad wasn’t always used for flight commander,it was used for something else(like a gerbal ball type thing I believe) and that area closed down a few years ago,and the killmart thing would’ve been probably easy to relocate in the part,same goes with the DA entrance area

• Like 1