Kings Island Announces Kings Mills Antique Autos for 2019!

The logic is, I am assuming, that KI didn't tear down an area immediately after it was no longer in use to build a new ride, but instead waited a couple years? That happens all the time. It was years before Banshee took Son of Beast's vacant land. General complaints comment on abandoned line queues without rides and buildings that now sit desolate until Haunt. The park actually does something about two of them and now it's too late? I wonder, would KI receive such scrutiny had they announced they were tearing down The Crypt building to build a new coaster?

• Like 6

Adding my personal opinion in here. It seems to me if you are a true enthusiast of Kings Island, you would be happy and appreciate that the park and corporate are again investing in the park for 2019. Whether you are or are not a fan of the new ride.

They do not have to give us something new each season, but yet they have again. By going into to Flight Commander area and making it look new with a new ride (that a lot of visitors have missed for a long time) fixes two things that long time KIC members have been wanting for many years. I think this investment in the park is a win for everyone.  

• Like 18

I’m super glad I got my 2019 gold passes today and that this is coming next year,sure it might have a few negatives but I honestly cannot wait to see this because I have never experienced it yet,but I still kinda wish it would’ve been in the DA area btw,was anyone at the park today when Mystic Timbers broke down,because it broke down when I was on it and we had to wait outside of the shed area for a short period of time

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 9:44 AM, OTTER9919 said:

The flight commander pad wasn’t always used for flight commander,it was used for something else(like a gerbal ball type thing I believe) and that area closed down a few years ago,and the killmart thing would’ve been probably easy to relocate in the part,same goes with the DA entrance area

The Flight Commander pad was used for Eurobungee for quite a few years, then used for the water balls (or as me and my friends aptly named it Franklin's Geezus Gerbils), They also used it for birthday parties for Dinosaurs Alive. 

It'll be interesting to see if they tear that pad out, there is quite a bit of concrete there, between that and the old Flight Commander queue (which they use for garbage can storage in the winter).  I was actually hoping they'd use that queue area for the line for the new Tiques.

The Killmart building used to be another arcade.

I remember riding the Antique Cars when I was younger and I was quite disappointed when I came to the park to find out that they weren’t there. But hearing this announcement made me extremely excited because I have fond memories of riding the Antique Cars with my parents and they were so excited to find out that they will be returning. Good job Kings Island this was a wonderful idea. :)

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I posted in the Ask the park a question thread, but Per the park: The addition of the Kings Mills Antique Autos will not result in the removal of the building that houses Killmart at Halloween Haunt. 

That's disappointing. It is such a large, prominently placed eyesore that is abandoned for most of the year.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I am hoping that it does go back into the woods a little bit as that is something that makes Kings Dominion's antiques nice is how secluded they are.

They will not be going back into the Dinos area.

6 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

That's disappointing. It is such a large, prominently placed eyesore that is abandoned for most of the year.

Before you fill yourself with disappointment, lets see how things are transformed first.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

They will not be going back into the Dinos area.

Before you fill yourself with disappointment, lets see how things are transformed first.

Interesting.  I assumed that building would go.  I can still hold out hope for indoor eatery put into that building with outdoor seating near The Racer.  Far fetched, but would be nice.

• Like 1

They could transform KillMart to support the ride.  They could run a track right through it or use it as a garage.  The cinderblock appearance of the building is a bit of an eyesore.  Hopefully they will correct that somehow.

• Like 2

On August 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, KIghostguy said:

I'm surprised by this, as well. Hopefully, they have a future in mind for that building. Perhaps they could convert into a Coke Freestyle Station. :P 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I'm surprised by this, as well. Hopefully, they have a future in mind for that building. Perhaps they could convert into a Coke Freestyle Station. :P 

While I am all for Freestyle let’s get Rivertown open before we start building a bunch of abandoned stations.  :P

i am also confused by all these posts of, “I wish they would do something with such and such building that is only used at Haunt.”   Um then what are they going to use for Haunts?

• Like 2

does anyone else feel like this would end up being a oval track? because technically, if it goes over the old flight commander pad, it would need to be on a steep incline to reach the top of it(does anyone know what the speed of the cars will be going?) and that would mean possible breakdowns of the motor or other parts of the car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

It could be used for a station as well.  Kind of like the cars ride at Dollywood.

Interesting idea, has some potential to it.

1 minute ago, OTTER9919 said:

does anyone else feel like this would end up being a oval track? because technically, if it goes over the old flight commander pad, it would need to be on a steep incline to reach the top of it(does anyone know what the speed of the cars will be going?) and that would mean possible breakdowns of the motor or other parts of the car

I highly doubt it'll be an oval, they'd be lauded for this.  If they don't use the Flight Commander queue for the ride, I can see them demolishing it and flattening it out.

3 minutes ago, OTTER9919 said:

An oval track that lasts nearly 3 minutes?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

From what little I know from talking to the park, and using my best guess with the info we have been provided, (meaning this is not confirmed by the park) I would assume everything east of the KillMart building to the DA entrance would be leveled and the Auto's path poured. To get the track length quoted, I am guessing it will be a twisted track turning in close to each other through the course.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

i am also confused by all these posts of, “I wish they would do something with such and such building that is only used at Haunt.”   Um then what are they going to use for Haunts?

There are buildings “off the beaten track” that are used for mazes—see Blackout, Slaughterhouse, etc. The Crypt building and the former arcade are very large, very prominent buildings located right on the main midway that are essentially abandoned.

If you had never been to Kings Island before, what would your impression be of the park with giant vacant buildings rotting away on the main midways?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

Interesting idea, has some potential to it.

I highly doubt it'll be an oval, they'd be lauded for this.  If they don't use the Flight Commander queue for the ride, I can see them demolishing it and flattening it out.

I see them tearing down what they can and just landscaping it to interact with the new ride. I'd expect that little building next to it and the queue to be demolished.

In my 5 years working at the park and poorly following it over the next decade then going back frequently the last two years. I don't think I've ever seen it open. That's from 2004 to current date. I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to tear out since it's basically a filled in concrete bunker at this point. I could be totally wrong though. I expect something more like how they moved the paths back in Rivertown around The Beast plaza and TR:TR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

There are buildings “off the beaten track” that are used for mazes—see Blackout, Slaughterhouse, etc. The Crypt building and the former arcade are very large, very prominent buildings located right on the main midway that are essentially abandoned.

If you had never been to Kings Island before, what would your impression be of the park with giant vacant buildings rotting away on the main midways?

At the very least, I think a little paint would go a long way. Blackout has that cool eye design painted on its exterior. Perhaps they should do something similar with KillMart?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joshua said:

At the very least, I think a little paint would go a long way. Blackout has that cool eye design painted on its exterior. Perhaps they should do something similar with Killmart?

I like that idea, but they can't go to "Haunt" with it. Wouldn't look right in Coney Mall. They cover up the props and items around the park on Sunday for a reason. Not sure what they could do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JubJester said:

I like that idea, but they can't go to "Haunt" with it. Wouldn't look right in Coney Mall. They cover up the props and items around the park on Sunday for a reason. Not sure what they could do.

Good point. It wouldn't jive with the theming. Personally, I very rarely do the mazes, so I would prefer the building either converted into something permanent, like a restaurant or vender, or demolished altogether. Mazes, to me, are flexible fixtures. They can be moved around, re-designed, or switched out altogether based on the park's needs. I imagine not tearing down these buildings is more about cost effectiveness, especially when it comes to The Crypt.

It's also possible they have other plans for the building. What if they plan on tweaking up Coney Mall a bit along with their new ride and just haven't announced it yet? I'm just thinking out loud here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Meh, don’t notice them that much.  What I do notice is all the abandoned drink refresh stands.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4