Kings Island Announces Kings Mills Antique Autos for 2019!

1 hour ago, upstop said:

For a short time it it was a disco. Dancing was a big thing in the 70s. I don’t have pictures but there was also a small stage show there shortly before it became a food stand as well. 

I vaguely recall someone once saying the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack* would play in The Beast's line queue and everybody would start dancing. Can you dig it? 

*Or at least, "Staying Alive"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, upstop said:

For a short time it it was a disco. Dancing was a big thing in the 70s. I don’t have pictures but there was also a small stage show there shortly before it became a food stand as well. 

Here is a pic of DJ Duke Edwards spinning at the old Coney Disco from my 1978 employee yearbook.

IIRC, he worked here during weekdays in the summer, but was a prime time DJ at WOKV (the 50,000 watt voice of Disco in the tri-state) for his regular gig.

IMG_20180903_130750968.jpg

• Like 7

A couple of things to consider about the actual layout that might be answered this fall. Will the antique cars path compromise the Field of Screams que tent? Field of Screams is returning for Haunt this year so I feel like they aren't going to touch the tent or the area, unless they get rid of the tent last minute and re-route the Field of Screams entrance for next season. 

Here's my crude concept.

crude concept.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, upstop said:

That's how I first remember it.   Riding the Zodiac, you could hear the disco music coming from the Coney Disco.  Anytime I hear certain disco songs now that they played there, I think of the awesome Zodiac.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

A couple of things to consider about the actual layout that might be answered this fall. Will the antique cars path compromise the Field of Screams que tent? Field of Screams is returning for Haunt this year so I feel like they aren't going to touch the tent or the area, unless they get rid of the tent last minute and re-route the Field of Screams entrance for next season. 

Here's my crude concept.

crude concept.png

I doubt it will come THAT far out onto the midway. I can see it being at a slight angle with the midway directing flow both towards Vortex/windseeeker and down towards BLSC. I think they also said the drink stand between Mt. FC and killmart is going to be gone.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

^Don already confirmed that the station for the Kings Mills Antique Autos will go where the Peach Stand used to be, so yeah it will go out that far.  A new blog is up about construction!  

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2018/september/construction-activity-begins-at-kings-mills-antique-autos-ride-site

That could be where part of the entrance plaza is. I don't see them blocking WindSeekers main midway view. I believe the exact verbage was "demolished to make room for the entrance and station". Doesn't mean that the station itself will be in the middle of the midway where peach basket was. I'm sure the midway will change, but I'd expect an entrance there and not the station itself. 

• Like 2

Might have figured not much point to it. Park is only up for Halloween mostly now so be dark a lot of teh time and all the rides around it give views right into it anyway, especially with WindSeeker right next to it so it's not really going to hide anything from view really.

• Like 1

Is the Goblet Toss game stand next to get flattened? Also do you think they'll be removing those beautiful trees in there? I certainly hope not myself because I'm one of those tree lover people. 

I’m guessing they will try to keep the trees, if they can do it without removing them to deal with utilities. Those trees look great. Perfect natural setting.
  • Like 5

I agree. I’m not sure how crowded it can get back there, but during Haunt it can get pretty crowded. Also the Coca-Cola softdrink machines are gone as well. I think the path back to Dinos is paver stone base. I think this is because the path would need to be ready quickly for Haunt to get to Field of Screams, unless they plan on another path.

• Like 1

Being completely honest, kind of happy to see the Coke machines gone, from all the visits I've had in the past couple of seasons, i think i have never seen anyone purchase anything from them. I think if anything is next to go like that. it is the Coke machines near Invertigo as well. Very excited to see the progress made on the antique cars!

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, Gannersdaddy said:

I am just hoping that area does not become another bottleneck area.

I agree.  The Taft parks (Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Canada's Wonderland and even Carowinds feature nice wide midways that don't make you feel crowded even when the park is crowded (unlike Busch Williamsburg, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, Great America etc).   I hope they don't make the walkway there too narrow.

• Like 4