Kings Island Announces Kings Mills Antique Autos for 2019!

54 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

Is this the exact some ride as C.P.? If that’s the case, then a second set of updated prints is all this is. I expect KI will modify the signage to their liking. There are numerous items marked throughout the prints to consult with customer as to what they want.

Totally different layout, and I really prefer ours.  Cadillac Cars is basically a clover layout which has a covered bridge in the middle.  Here is a screenshot from google maps.  Also I should point out Cedar Point actually has two antique car rides, the second in the back of the park has a much better layout.

cars.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I just wonder how much of a bottle neck it will be to get to The Vortex and Wind Seeker.  

Having been for Haunt this year, the construction fence is already bottlenecking that section as much as the Antique Autos will in 2019. It was also one of the most crowded days I have ever seen at Kings Island.

It was a bit of a bottleneck. It was still a wider path than the one in front of Vortex, that connects Rivertown to Coney Mall. However, due to the fact they have THREE haunts (KillMart, Field of Screams, and Urgent Scare) back there during Haunt, it was wall-to-wall people near the bathrooms. You could easily get to Vortex since its entrance is on the side, but you had to walk through some people for WindSeeker. I don't think the path width was that bad, during the day before the crowds came in it was fine, but the fact they stuffed 3 haunts in that 1 section is what caused the bottlenecking. It should be fine during the spring and summer, I don't see the Kings Mills Antique Autos, Vortex, and WindSeeker drawing THAT many people back there by themselves but when you add the 3 Haunts, with as crazy popular as Haunt has become, that is when it is gonna get crazy.

• Like 4

On 10/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, McSalsa said:

Having been for Haunt this year, the construction fence is already bottlenecking that section as much as the Antique Autos will in 2019. It was also one of the most crowded days I have ever seen at Kings Island.

It was a bit of a bottleneck. It was still a wider path than the one in front of Vortex, that connects Rivertown to Coney Mall. However, due to the fact they have THREE haunts (KillMart, Field of Screams, and Urgent Scare) back there during Haunt, it was wall-to-wall people near the bathrooms. You could easily get to Vortex since its entrance is on the side, but you had to walk through some people for WindSeeker. I don't think the path width was that bad, during the day before the crowds came in it was fine, but the fact they stuffed 3 haunts in that 1 section is what caused the bottlenecking. It should be fine during the spring and summer, I don't see the Kings Mills Antique Autos, Vortex, and WindSeeker drawing THAT many people back there by themselves but when you add the 3 Haunts, with as crazy popular as Haunt has become, that is when it is gonna get crazy.

It might not be as bad with the KMAA. Remember, construction zones are almost always significantly larger than the final outcome of the project! They have been doing a good job at adding crowd control. A lot of the food and drink places now have queues so that foot traffic is smoother! 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, TombraiderTy said:

Interesting to note, many of Worlds of Fun's antique cars are from Kings Island's former Antique Cars. I believe they were shipped over shortly after Cedar Fair purchased the park.

After "Antiques" were closed at KI, many of the "Taxis" were purchased by Ed Hart and re-located to Magic Springs in AK.  They operate today as the Ozark Mountain Taxi Company.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

After "Antiques" were closed at KI, many of the "Taxis" were purchased by Ed Hart and re-located to Magic Springs in AK.  They operate today as the Ozark Mountain Taxi Company.  

I never knew that, thanks for sharing.

So did he specifically buy the French taxis? It also appears that the 1911 Cadillacs were moved over to the Coney side once Rivertown's station closed, and I can't find any evidence that the French Taxis ran in the 2000s. So were the French taxis sold to Hart when half the ride closed?

For those unfamiliar, the two types of cars on the ride were 1911 Cadillacs (Rivertown side, or Ohio Overland Auto Livery) and French Taxis (Coney side, or Les Taxis). They were most easily distinguishable by the "Taxi" sign on top or lack thereof, but also had different shade structures and grills.

Les Taxis, 1973, courtesy flickr user tshiverd

qXfGICA.jpg

1911 Cadillacs, courtesy Reggie Zippo

ZsU5kS0.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just the taxis went to MS... the Cadillacs, AFAIK moved to the Coney side and operated until 1995.  The Cadillacs then sat in storage near Racer for at least a period of time before disappearing from KI completely.

anti_20130808130251_400_300.JPG

The rumor has always been that the Cadillacs went to another CF park, but I've never had it confirmed.  Of note - WOF's LeTaxi originally opened with French Taxis - but it now appears to operate with Cadillacs.  So perhaps those might just be replacements sent from KI.

• Like 5

^To clarify, do you mean the Cadillacs operated until 2004? And then sat in storage for a period of time near Racer before disappearing?

Regarding the Worlds of Fun rumor, here (link) is a thread claiming they went to WOF from 2007, and here (link) is the photo report it links to, with its new URL (the link in the thread is broken).

About halfway down, you can see Worlds of Fun's ride has a mixture of Cadillacs and Taxis, with the caption "So apparently we have a lot of cars this year."

40.jpg 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Will thy be getting the gas or electric models?

They will be the gas models, powered by the 9hp Honda engine. There is a lot of extra upkeep and maintainence with the electric models, so most parks are still opting for the gas engines. 

These cars are also engineered much better than the original Arrow design.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Yep! Can’t remember the gentleman’s name right now, but I believe he was a project manager. 

The guy manning the booth was the president, unless he switched out but I saw him several times. 

Here are some photos:

570724FC-C5E3-481D-9258-813BCD6E6CF2.jpegDD5D0A1D-A8C5-4B3F-87C3-296EBAC4616C.jpeg468B4D9B-0862-43EA-ABED-EA443053CE9B.jpegFF39FDCF-0F3A-401F-9114-44D170FFCD05.jpeg

This is the exact same car that KI is getting. It seats 4 over 2 benches. Notice that it has seat belts as well (insert click it or ticket joke). These are the same cars that were installed at Valleyfair. 

Many of the parts are molded, but the details on the front end are hand crafted.

They ship in March.

• Like 2

They will be the gas models, powered by the 9hp Honda engine. There is a lot of extra upkeep and maintainence with the electric models, so most parks are still opting for the gas engines. 
These cars are also engineered much better than the original Arrow design.

Thank goodness they have Honda engines in them. Good performance and minimal maintenance.
  • Like 3