Kings Mills Antique Autos Path Discussion

sixohdieselrage

1 hour ago, Stoan said:

Cars were all the same style, two seat in front, two seats pointed back in back, one pedal and the four post roof. Different colors is all I recall. There might have been minor embellishing differences.

Thank you! I think I was getting confused because the park had held on to one or tow for awhile. They'd wheel them out for the 2005 Winterfest parade and then a few other special events (plus I'm sure to be thrown into the potpourri that is recycled crap/haunt decorations). The ones they always brought around, though, had the roof removed.

14 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

The Rivertown side was called the Ohio Overland Auto Livery and the Coney Mall side was Les Taxis. The Auto Livery closed in 1997 or 1998 (I have heard differing dates). I am not sure why one side closed several years before the other side. There was no announcement or article that ran in any area newspapers when it closed.

Thank you! Stirring up a ton of memories for me. I remember riding both, but being very confused as a young kid when the Rivertown side was closed. 

One last question: Do you know if it was a permanent shut down or more of a staffing/capacity situation? I.E. Did they just keep one side closed unless it was really, really busy or was it always mothballed?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, OTTER9919 said:

its going to be quite cramped because the killmart building was confirmed to be staying where its at

Ugh!  That building is an absolute eyesore.  I was hoping the cars would encompass the icee building that's never open as well as this old arcade building.  I am glad to see the return of this ride but I hope they don't cram it in a tiny space - it should be done right.

• Like 3

In regards to the Ohio Overland Auto Livery, it was more just a staffing issue towards the end.  Then it became more frequent that it was closed than open.  Then finally they just us the Coney Mall side, as that likely had higher ridership.  The path that runs on the Rivertown side always seems to have very little foot traffic on it.  There simply isn`t a lot going on on that path.  Especially since they took out the Salt Water Circus building many moons ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

There simply isn`t a lot going on on that path.

Agreed, even years later with the addition of two major coasters that path isn't used as much as people would think it is. The Les Taxis side was closer to a major midway that had a lot of thrill rides within close proximity to one another.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Edit: followup question, did the OG ride have different style cars on each track?

Here is a vintage super 8 movie from 1980 uploaded to YouTube. The family is riding the Ohio Overland Auto Livery on the Rivertown side and I think those cars were just (plain) no name antique cars but Les Taxis (on Coney Mall side) were identified as Franklin replicas which had a curved sloping hood and had the taxis lights on top. Pics of Les Taxis #1) Keith and Laurie from WCPO.com and a clear shot of a Les Taxis Franklin from The News Wheel site.

I will say that the video was shot in 1980 and the park opened in 1972 so all that foliage was about eight years old and it looked very lush around some of those turns. It was indeed an amazing ride.

poster_258163b867724a6983c9c0b5bc04048a_95055611_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Antique-Car-Ride-760x485.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KingsMills79 said:

Here is a vintage super 8 movie from 1980 uploaded to YouTube. The family is riding the Ohio Overland Auto Livery on the Rivertown side and I think those cars were just (plain) no name antique cars but Les Taxis (on Coney Mall side) were identified as Franklin replicas which had a curved sloping hood and had the taxis lights on top. Pics of Les Taxis #1) Keith and Laurie from WCPO.com and a clear shot of a Les Taxis Franklin from The News Wheel site.

I will say that the video was shot in 1980 and the park opened in 1972 so all that foliage was about eight years old and it looked very lush around some of those turns. It was indeed an amazing ride.

Wow, thank you, @KingsMills79. So Franklin was the manufacturer, not Arrow Dynamics?

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:04 AM, KingsMills79 said:

poster_258163b867724a6983c9c0b5bc04048a_95055611_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Antique-Car-Ride-760x485.jpeg

loved the video thanks for sharing.   brought back many great memories !

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. 

Kind of surprised they are jamming the entrance and exit down by Peach Basket.  You are going to have the Entrance and Exit for 3 rides as well as the only bathroom in Coney Mall down in that corner? 

When they put in WindSeeker we called that corner the fustercluck, it's going to be even worse with Tiques down there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teenageninja said:

Thanks for the update. 

Kind of surprised they are jamming the entrance and exit down by Peach Basket.  You are going to have the Entrance and Exit for 3 rides as well as the only bathroom in Coney Mall down in that corner? 

When they put in WindSeeker we called that corner the fustercluck, it's going to be even worse with Tiques down there.

Put the entrance back where Dinosaur's Alive was at. Also I'm really hoping the South side of Racer was a guess. I'd be much happier if they put the ride on the North side. Nice drive through the trees.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Thank you Indyguy4KI for the video. Will there be an artist rendering later on? I know people like to skip over me, but could someone let me know please?

I agree, thank you @IndyGuy4KI for the video.  I am surprised they did not have at least some renderings or video renderings available at the announcement.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I agree, thank you @IndyGuy4KI for the video.  I am surprised they did not have at least some renderings or video renderings available at the announcement.

Why spend money on something like that? Antique cars. They go around a track. That’s all people really care about at this point. Creating a visualization is only necessary when there’s a question of: what is it? (Which would be relevant with a lot of flat rides) or for a larger project that would yield an honest interest (think coasters).

Some still do it, but hey - Kuntz showed up in an actual vehicle. A rendering couldn’t tell you much more than that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stoan said:

Put the entrance back where Dinosaur's Alive was at. Also I'm really hoping the South side of Racer was a guess. I'd be much happier if they put the ride on the North side. Nice drive through the trees.

There is no guess. It will be on the South side of The Racer only. I thought I was quite clear on that in the video. Wishful thinking will not change what is already in motion.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Why spend money on something like that? Antique cars. They go around a track. That’s all people really care about at this point. Creating a visualization is only necessary when there’s a question of: what is it? (Which would be relevant with a lot of flat rides) or for a larger project that would yield an honest interest (think coasters).

Some still do it, but hey - Kuntz showed up in an actual vehicle. A rendering couldn’t tell you much more than that.

Sure it's a minor investment, but it is something that many have wanted.  They did use video of other car rides, but at a very minimum I would have expected a rendering that showed concept art.  They did that for Coney BBQ and this is more substantial than that.  For something that many KI fans want (both GP and enthusiasts) it seemed a little lackluster to me.  

I couldn't be at the park for the announcement, but I do think it was a great thing for Mr. Kootnz drove the vehicle.  But that doesn't translate well for people who can't be there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They have referenced the Antique Cars at Worlds of Fun in pictures and video.  What more do you need?  The reason they had an artist rendering of Coney BBQ, is they didn`t have anything similar to compare it to.  As Ryan said, why spend money on something, when they have stock footage of something similar that gets the point across?  

• Like 1

They would have had a rendering if there was a need for one. Everyone knows what the antique cars are. Most know what the vehicle and track look like. The stock footage does the job. Plus, being able to drive a car into the announcement makes up for that.

The mystery of the full layout and effects gives them something to introduce next year. 

• Like 3

I'm no architect, but I'd imagine the firm they contract with would have some concept art as part of the project, included in the cost. And they did have a concept for Coney BBQ, it's basically Island Smokehouse with theming elements. (Just like the new eatery at WOF is a clone.) KMAA be much more intricate. I do have friends who have asked about it (not in the enthusiast realm) and when I tried to describe it without a visual they couldn't get it.

They have referenced the Antique Cars at Worlds of Fun in pictures and video.  What more do you need?  The reason they had an artist rendering of Coney BBQ, is they didn`t have anything similar to compare it to.  As Ryan said, why spend money on something, when they have stock footage of something similar that gets the point across?  

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 1:30 PM, jtro223 said:

I'm no architect, but I'd imagine the firm they contract with would have some concept art as part of the project, included in the cost. And they did have a concept for Coney BBQ, it's basically Island Smokehouse with theming elements. (Just like the new eatery at WOF is a clone.) KMAA be much more intricate. I do have friends who have asked about it (not in the enthusiast realm) and when I tried to describe it without a visual they couldn't get it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I am an architect.  Renderings are not typically part of a basic scope of services for permit drawings.  Most firms (including the firm that I work for) can do renderings for projects, but it is treated as an additional service.  Meaning that the client has to pay extra for a rendering.  Most clients opt not to pay for the rendering, unless they have a marketing need for such a rendering.  We have had clients pay for our rendering services.  I stand by my original statement, that the park/Cedar Fair likely saw no need for the firm working on the drawings to produce a rendering when they can just as easily (and more cost effectively) share an image of a similar ride at another one of the parks.