Kings Mills Antique Autos Path Discussion

sixohdieselrage

9 minutes ago, JubJester said:

@Maverick44 That's a cool design! Really enjoy the small details you put into it. Only thing I'd change is some turns in that straight stretch of road on the left. Unless that's the MCBR...:D

Yeah I thought the same thing after I was all done haha I just can't wait to see how it will really look. I wonder when we will see the layout and details. If they even release them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I am an architect.  Renderings are not typically part of a basic scope of services for permit drawings.  Most firms (including the firm that I work for) can do renderings for projects, but it is treated as an additional service.  Meaning that the client has to pay extra for a rendering.  Most clients opt not to pay for the rendering, unless they have a marketing need for such a rendering.  We have had clients pay for our rendering services.  I stand by my original statement, that the park/Cedar Fair likely saw no need for the firm working on the drawings to produce a rendering when they can just as easily (and more cost effectively) share an image of a similar ride at another one of the parks.

Wow, that is surprising.  Not being in that line of work, my line of thought was this:  The park and corporate decide what they want to install and an area.  They have a firm or firms who they work with on projects and they submit proposals.  As part of the process, feasibility studies are done and different concepts are designed and in the end, a final decision is made.  From there, permits are applied for (which do not require renderings).  I thought they would see the big picture and work backward with details for permits and the trades.  I guess KI and Rob Decker can see the vision without a visual.  

14 hours ago, jtro223 said:

Wow, that is surprising.  Not being in that line of work, my line of thought was this:  The park and corporate decide what they want to install and an area.  They have a firm or firms who they work with on projects and they submit proposals.  As part of the process, feasibility studies are done and different concepts are designed and in the end, a final decision is made.  From there, permits are applied for (which do not require renderings).  I thought they would see the big picture and work backward with details for permits and the trades.  I guess KI and Rob Decker can see the vision without a visual.  

Why pay for it when Maverick does it for free!

24 minutes ago, FoolCrzy said:

Is anyone else disappointed with the fact the midway will be lessened? I know it's toward the end of it, but Coney Mall holds great memories.

Its odd you mention that. While I’m not disappointed so to speak, I get oddly nostalgic about stuff like this. It’ll be weird to see that end of the mall revamped. Especially the removal of the Flight Commander pad and que. I have a lot of memories of Coney Mall as well, but the changes that are coming are much needed and much needed improvement!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FoolCrzy said:

Is anyone else disappointed with the fact the midway will be lessened? I know it's toward the end of it, but Coney Mall holds great memories.

Quite the opposite. I am very glad it is getting a nostalgic ride for a nostalgic area of the park. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, FoolCrzy said:

bring back the big bird cages in the medians?

14 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Quite the opposite. I am very glad it is getting a nostalgic ride for a nostalgic area of the park. 

I completely agree. I love the fact it's getting some love, I just like the open feel of the full-width Midway.   I prefer the 'Tiques over the dead space we have now.

I never really even considered that one side of the midway would be removed.  It is dead back there so I don't really mind the change and overall prefer getting the antique cars back over keeping both sides of the midway.

But at the same time this feels suspicious.  The idea that they are removing half of the midway, and keeping the old arcade, feels like this is the start of something bigger.  Maybe the other half is 2020, maybe there is some other plan for the building.  But I would be surprised if nothing else comes of this.  It reminds me of the funnel cake move for Mystic Timbers.

• Like 2

The park has no plans right now on removing buildings used for Haunt or turning them into something else, like the arcade in Coney Mall used for Killmart and the Crypt building used for Madame Fatale. I doubt we see any changes in the old SOB station in the next few seasons either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, FoolCrzy said:

Yes. Because the wide midways are a great feature of the Taft-built parks.   Bottlenecks take away from a good experience.  For example, even though I think Busch Williamsburg is a wonderful park overall, the narrow walkways make the park often crowded when it really isn't.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Does anyone else still to this day remember the smell of the exhaust from those cars? For some odd reason, it's still fresh in my nose to this day. 

And for some reason it was different than a lawn mower or snow blower.   Not sure why unless it was the regular (leaded) gasoline or maybe they were 2 cycle engines and the added oil made a difference.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We rode WindSeeker today just to take a look at the site from above.  If it looks like the size I am seeing, I am vastly underwhelmed.  It looks to be the size of KK.

I will post all of the pictures that I took of it from WindSeeker below:

No pictures were taken, just wanted to see who would scroll down this far.  If you get a chance, get in a daylight ride and let me know your thoughts.

• Haha 5

Hey guys! First post in a long while. @kingsislandpr on Instagram just posted this photo the other day:

As you can see, that's one of Racer's airtime hills in the back of its layout. It also happens to be the hill where the old Dinos/current FoS entrance is! I'm pretty sure this confirms that the 'tiques will pass under both sides of Racer and possibly edge into Firehawk's old tract (which would be a good reason for them to not show the layout of the new ride!) My theory: we'll get a more in-depth look at Kings Mills Antique Autos during Winterfest, especially with SR&R being open for WF.

17 minutes ago, mayaman2 said:

Hey guys! First post in a long while. @kingsislandpr on Instagram just posted this photo the other day:

As you can see, that's one of Racer's airtime hills in the back of its layout. It also happens to be the hill where the old Dinos/current FoS entrance is! I'm pretty sure this confirms that the 'tiques will pass under both sides of Racer and possibly edge into Firehawk's old tract (which would be a good reason for them to not show the layout of the new ride!) My theory: we'll get a more in-depth look at Kings Mills Antique Autos during Winterfest, especially with SR&R being open for WF.

I hope so, because looking at it from WindSeeker this weekend, it was looking pretty puny.

When I saw the picture, at first I thought that was The Vortex after it sunk.  LOL.  :lol:

And if you look to your right, you can see WindSeeker’s Tower is on the same side as the construction.

This is the angle you’re seeing before the construction. Half of the midway path seen below is now gone. Giving you the illusion that you’re on the other side of The Racer.d1ea4af6ffa13c8e4862e45608e883b1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

These are going to be very short, they even said so, I think it's somewhere around 1/4 of a mile length.  It's a 3 minute ride on the cars.  Look at Valleyfair's antique cars for an idea of their size.

Valleyfair's length is perfectly acceptable, not too long, not too short, just the right amount of time for a kid to "drive" his parents around and want to hop on and do it again.

It’s a quarter mile or 1320 feet.  7.3 mph is about 3 minutes. It’s a little more than 1/3 the length of one side of Racer. I’m guess the area is about 5 acres. That’s about 264 feet of track per acre. That’s 5 Eiffel Towers ( bottom level to ground) in length. Seems to me to be longer than it’s being given credit. 

I think some people are overestimating the width of the track when it comes to space.  Antique Car track isn't too much wider than most of the wider queue lines, and you can get creative enough with the layouts to make it pretty lengthy given the space.   I mean, you could fit either of CP's car tracks into that space no problem. 

• Like 4