FORBIDDEN FRONTIER on Adventure Island - Cedar Point 2019

4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

The other thing I find interesting about this frequent criticism of CP is that at least in my view it still beats KI in the “family attraction” category.  Skyride, 2 antique cars, Ferris Wheel, more flats, more live entertainment, the beach, a true lazy river.  

That's one reason why I wish the skyride would come back. Not because it saves time (which is nice), but its something everyone can ride. It also gives a break from the wildness of coasters.

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

Yeah its def not something you would normally see at CP. I can see it maybe being popular for a few seasons then fading out. i have never done an escape room or anything like Toney described so it peaks my interest. I would do it once and then get back to coasters. I also doubt it help the SV lines at all. ugh! 

This is sounding more and more like CP's version of Ghost Town Alive from Knott's, which has been very successful, from my understanding. It's not naturally super appealing to the diehard coaster crowd, but that's because it's very much geared towards families. It's my understanding that GTA drives repeat visits for families quite a bit.

It's essentially a day-long play that the audience can choose to participate in or join/leave as they like. At Knott's, the story progresses from season to season, so I would imagine that CP will see something similar if this is successful. As far as I know, there's really nothing else like it in the industry. I love that kind of imagination, so I know I'll be sure to visit at some point or another.

My only worry for it is that both Paddlewheel Excursions and Dinosaurs Alive were kinda off the beaten path. Both managed to exist for years, I suppose, but I'm still a little concerned that this might get overlooked. But obviously, the park knows how to handle that issue better than I do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

This is sounding more and more like CP's version of Ghost Town Alive from Knott's, which has been very successful, from my understanding. It's not naturally super appealing to the diehard coaster crowd, but that's because it's very much geared towards families. It's my understanding that GTA drives repeat visits for families quite a bit.

It's essentially a day-long play that the audience can choose to participate in or join/leave as they like. At Knott's, the story progresses from season to season, so I would imagine that CP will see something similar if this is successful. As far as I know, there's really nothing else like it in the industry. I love that kind of imagination, so I know I'll be sure to visit at some point or another.

My only worry for it is that both Paddlewheel Excursions and Dinosaurs Alive were kinda off the beaten path. Both managed to exist for years, I suppose, but I'm still a little concerned that this might get overlooked. But obviously, the park knows how to handle that issue better than I do.

If I’m not mistaken I think they referenced Ghost Town Alive in the earnings call when talking about this.

• Like 1

First portion of the map revealed today. Seems really cool if you ask me. It is for sure a choose your own adventure. I think this may turn out to be pretty cool. Slightly thrilling as well if the bridge bounces in the water. Don't fall into Snake Rover Swamp!

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/the-first-map-reveal

cp-blog-ffai-snake-river-banner.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

That would be neat. Did they remove that for shoot the rapids?

They did not remove Paddlewheel for Shoot The Rapids...it was removed for Dinos :rolleyes: which I would have rather kept Paddlewheel. 

I really hope that Paddlewheel would come back to CP....it was a great leisure ride, the spieling was hilarious no matter what it was and it was just a good family experience as well.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I visited Forbidden Frontier for the passholder preview yesterday with @MNFriedOreo .

An entrance plaza is accessed from the Frontier Trail (near Frontier Fling), consisting of much of the former Shoot the Rapids. Some of the walkways are slippery due to water effects, so be careful and don't run. To access the main area, you can choose between following a winding path, pulling yourself across a moat on a floating bridge (groups of 4 at a time on the bridge), or crossing a wobbly bridge.

Overall, the area is nicely done and is somewhat reminiscent of Ghost Town at Knott's and the (former) Adventure at COSI. If you stop to talk with one of the characters while exploring the island - you may be given a task to complete, a mysterious item to deliver, or a puzzle to solve. As you go from adventure to adventure, more of the Forbidden Frontier story is revealed. It looks like it will be popular with the younger crowd, but it's intricate enough to entertain adults too.

I do have to wonder if they can keep the staffing up all season, as much of the area is focused on interacting with the characters. There are also animal displays (emus, chickens, and goats) and a large multi-story play structure that acts as the centerpiece of the island. Adults have plenty of seating and a few hammocks near the play area. Since it's on Millennium Island, there are plenty of great shots of Millennium Force to be had. Definitely worth checking out!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Super Bump!

Just wanted to say I really, really enjoyed Forbidden Frontier when I went up to CP for Labor Day. I really loved interacting with all the different characters, I wonder if any of them would be returning for Halloweekends (I can think of two that could fit the bill). If any of you find any of the Islanders in a maze, please let me know (and tell them I said hi!). 

Also, I have a trip report up that extensively discusses my time on Adventure Island; enjoy!

EDIT: Here’s is the link: 

• Like 1