150’ Observation wheel coming to The Banks

I will make sure it make it down there to ride the wheel. 

Although there was an article just yesterday that makes it sounds like the permanent one across the river at Newport is finally moving forward.  They have been working on it for 2 or 3 years now, so I do not trust the last line which claims "Work could begin on the project later this year with a scheduled opening in 2019.".

2 hours ago, Kenban said:

I will make sure it make it down there to ride the wheel. 

Although there was an article just yesterday that makes it sounds like the permanent one across the river at Newport is finally moving forward.  They have been working on it for 2 or 3 years now, so I do not trust the last line which claims "Work could begin on the project later this year with a scheduled opening in 2019.".

If Coney can build their temporary one in just a few weeks, I imagine that plus infrastructure and so on could be done in a matter of months.

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

If Coney can build their temporary one in just a few weeks, I imagine that plus infrastructure and so on could be done in a matter of months.

I have no doubts on the ability to build a wheel in that amount of time.  The problem is I can find you articles from 2016 which claim it will open in 2017, or 2017 articles claiming it will open in 2018.  The developer has made a LOT of claims on when construction would start and when it would open, some of the issues have been time consuming, for instance the original design was rejected because of the possibility of damage to the levee.  I just do not have any faith in the dates until I see construction begin.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kenban said:

I have no doubts on the ability to build a wheel in that amount of time.  The problem is I can find you articles from 2016 which claim it will open in 2017, or 2017 articles claiming it will open in 2018.  The developer has made a LOT of claims on when construction would start and when it would open, some of the issues have been time consuming, for instance the original design was rejected because of the possibility of damage to the levee.  I just do not have any faith in the dates until I see construction begin.

True. You have to give them a little flexibility though. This is on the banks of a river. If it were on regular private property I’d think it would never happen at this point, but dealing with the Army Corps of Engineers creates these kinds of delays.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

There were talks of installing a permanent one at the banks and I hope that's still on the table. I'd love to see another addition to the skyline and add to the scenery of the Banks

There were? 

To my recollection, that idea hasn't been proposed for The Banks development. However, a quick Google search is only bringing up the most recent news of the temporary one, so who knows. 

As highlighted in this thread, Newport's been trying to build one for the last few years. 

In my opinion, Newport's a better location due to the views, an existing year round tourist attraction in the Aquarium, and a regular schedule of special events and festivals. The Banks is more of a mixed-use development not wholly geared on tourism. 

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I thought that got nixed because the ground underneath couldn't support the weight of the Ferris wheel.

The original design had the wheel built on top of the levee, the concern was it might lead to a failure of the levee.  The company changed the design and I think moved the wheel farther from the river, but I do know according to current news articles the Army Corps of Engineers have approved the current design.

4 hours ago, Kenban said:

The original design had the wheel built on top of the levee, the concern was it might lead to a failure of the levee.  The company changed the design and I think moved the wheel farther from the river, but I do know according to current news articles the Army Corps of Engineers have approved the current design.

I think it's the opposite - or at least that's how I read it.   I think they are building it closer to the river.  Does anyone have a better understanding of what this might mean?

The new designs have put the Skywheel on a platform between the floodwall and the Ohio River.  It would rest atop the city-owned Festival Park in between the Newport Aquarium and Mitchell's Fish Market. 

source: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/11/30/ferris-wheel-newport-plans-rolling-along/870976001/