What do you think KI would get in 2020?

KI Master

1 hour ago, KI Master said:

I heard that Kings Island was working with B and M in 2020. B and M Giga, Wing, or Dive?

This is the kind of post likely to get you mauled as a newer member, but I'll bite. I heard all 3! The first Giga-Dive-Wing Coaster ever! :-)  How awesome would that be. :-)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that they’re going to remove a ride to make room for another. Maybe Firehawk (since it was down pretty much every time I visited (and I made 10 visits this season))?! They could also definitely expand X-Base into the old Dino’s Alive area making it an extension to Coney Mall

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I honestly think wing coasters in the US are on the decline. We only have GateKeeper, X-FLight, Wild Eagle, and Thunderbird and those debuted in the early to mid 2010s. In my opinion I don't get the appeal of current B&M wing coasters aside from the main draw- the trains. Near miss elements enhance the experience significantly but other than that I don't see the hype. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I have been on all three of wing riders in the US.  While I thought that X-Flight, and GateKeeper were just meh I love Wild Eagle.  I could see them getting pretty creative with the layouts if more parks purchased them.

What about Thunderbird?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I have been on all three of wing riders in the US.  While I thought that X-Flight, and GateKeeper were just meh I love Wild Eagle.  I could see them getting pretty creative with the layouts if more parks purchased them.

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

What about Thunderbird?

Rcdb considers X2, Green Lantern: First Flight and 4D free spins clones at Six Flags (Joker/Batman: The Ride) as wing coasters too.

I much preferred Thunderbird over GateKeeper. Haven't ridden Wild Eagle.

As for what could be coming in 2020, I think Kings Island has enough coasters already where your feet dangle. Some people get motion sickness from that specific element. Also Kings Island's last major coaster installation (Banshee) is a foot dangler.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

However freespins and regular wings are two completely different experiences

I'm not saying they aren't different experiences. I'm just pointing out their classified on RCDB as wing coasters and I can't argue that they are wrong. None of them have track above or below you when riding, therefore they're wing coasters with a 4D/free spin element. Intamin also refers to Skyrush at Hersheypark as their wing rider model even though 2 of the 4 seats in each row are over the track. RCDB classifies it as a wing rider/custom.

The Beast and Shivering Timbers are completely different experiences, but they're both wood coasters. To get more specific, Ragin' Bull and Diamondback are completely different ride experiences as well, yet they're both B&M hyper coasters.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, NewD4y20 said:

Also Kings Island's last major coaster installation (Banshee) is a foot dangler.

I don't know when you last visited, but Banshee is not Kings Island's last major coaster installation.

As far as wing coasters, I've only ridden GateKeeper but I thought that the ride experience (outside of the near-miss elements) felt nearly identical to Banshee.

• Like 3

On 11/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, NewD4y20 said:

I much preferred Thunderbird over GateKeeper. Haven't ridden Wild Eagle.

As for what could be coming in 2020, I think Kings Island has enough coasters already where your feet dangle. Some people get motion sickness from that specific element.

I completely agree with you about KI having enough of those type of coasters. We are after all the "hanging coaster" capital of the world as it is already...

To me, the experience offered by a wing coaster is not all that different from that of an invert.

It's different of course. But not different enough IMO...

Cedar Fair has added just one wing coaster in their history, five years ago, and even that was at a park that already had virtually every other type of coaster...

• Like 2