SIX 2019

The annual Six Flags announcements are tomorrow (8/30).  Not sure what time, though I imagine it'll be before or around noon-ish.  

The only thing I've heard is that SFMM will possibly hitting the 20 coaster mark.  I didn't see anything happening on my trip to NJFTP.  No RMC conversion rumors that I've heard either. 

• Like 1

Overall, good stuff; even though the video was sorta cheesy (and ripped off Gravity in a way... or is space still a thing?). Anyway, I like the addition of all the Frisbees and it's very interesting that SIX re-aquired Darien Lake (and they are really putting their mark in that park for 2019 lol).

As for the 2 main coasters, Maxx Force looked meh when it was first leaked, but upon seeing the video and thinking about it some more, I really like it as it's the first FULL (as in, not counting Powder Keg at SDC) S&S launch coaster in the US since Hypersonic XLC*. And West Coast Racers looks ok, but Magic Mountain is (imo) being extra as they already have Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus (different ride experience, but still...)

*Now that I think about it, there have been a few recent "spiritual sucessor" coasters out there- Steel Vengeance and Son of Beast and Steel Curtain/Drachen Fire (that's what I think, at least...).

EDIT: Oh, and the floorless conversion of Apocalpyse? Nice! B) Though they are taking a page from Cedar Fair there...

It seems like a typical Six Flags year if I'm being honest, just this time the rides are a little bigger. Maxx Force and West Coast Racers are pretty original rides yet I'd never see similar rides built in the Cedar Fair chain. I wish Six Flags would diversify their lineup a little bit more like Cedar Fair does. Maybe since all the parks are named Six they have to have all their rides be the same. Cool rides though.

^I would claim the opposite.  SIX seems to have more diversity, especially in how many designers they've been going with along with more out of the box designs.  

Also, SIX still manages to show some TLC to their smaller parks more than CF does, even on the parks they just added.  Say what you want about each chain, but I feel the momentum is with SIX at the moment.  

• Like 1

Woah, Six Flags adding new roller coasters that are NOT RMC's for once? That's a nice change of pace. Maxx Force looks awesome, probably the new-for-2019 coaster that excites me the most so far, but West Coast Racers also looks pretty cool. I do also like the nice selection flat rides the other Six Flags parks are getting. While this is otherwise a pretty standard year for Six Flags, the 2 new coasters (not counting the S&S Free Spin) bump it up a notch. I give Six Flags 2019 a thumbs up!

Well, its obvious S&S is doing Maxx Force as they're the only ones to use compressed air for their launches.  S&S coaster launches are unbelievably strong and fast.  I remember on Hypersonic XLC that it was like one second you were stopped, and by the time your brain registered you were moving, you were already going really fast.  Combine that with an intense layout as SFGAm is going for and it should be a sweet ride. 

For SFMM, it boggles the mind that a single park has 20 coasters.  Granted some of them are kids coasters, but that's still a ton.   Also, their claim for having the world's first racing launched coaster is bogus as there is one already in Dubai in the form of Fiorano GT Challenge that's also multi-launch.  Does seem weird for SFMM to be adding back-to-back racing coasters, but when you have that many, I guess some creativity goes a long way.  It does appear to be Premier though with the 3 bench cars. 

The rest don't surprise me.  SIX has been focusing on diversifying their flat line up as it was a big criticism for a while, and they're continuing that trend. 

Also, how about SIX's answer to CF's Winterfests?   EDIT: Oops. 

• Like 1

Six Flags did Holiday in the Park before Cedar Fair did WinterFest.

Breaking down the somewhat confusing choices for those doing 2019 passes/memberships during the annual Flash Sale, which runs through Monday (always extended through Tuesday):

• Gold pass (less than a daily ticket): parking & admission to all dry parks
  • Gold Plus membership (+ ~$20 per 12 months + $20 refundable security deposit): Adds standalone waterpark admission and a priority gate to skip the often-long lines to get into the park.
  • Platinum membership (+$24 per 12 months): Adds unlimited soft drinks at fountain locations. Note that Six Flags doesn't (yet) have refill stations at their parks.
  • Diamond membership (+$36 per 12 months): Adds preferred parking and one skip-the-line voucher each visit
  • Diamond plus membership (+$72 per 12 months): Adds a second skip-the-line voucher each visit, Fright Fest maze access, a dolphin encounter at SFDK, and significant in-park discounts

Be careful if choosing a membership, as Six Flags may involve a collections agency if charging your credit card fails for two months and if you don't respond to e-mails about the problem. You are agreeing to a 12-month minimum term, and cancellation thereafter requires a notice of between 43 and 77 days.

Season passes are a lot simpler, but they have to be renewed in-person at the park each fall to get free gold benefits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rustbucket said:

I guess Darien Lake is back with Six Flags.  Another interesting note was that SFFT is now open all year...  

I do think it is important to clarify what they mean by open year round.  They added weekend days in January and February.  It is not moving to a 365 day a year operations like Magic Mountain, that might be the long term goal but that this not where they are right now.  This year opening day was February 24th.  So total about 7 or 8 weekends were added to the schedule.

6 hours ago, VekomaRulz said:

I wish they gave more time to process the season pass to get the free upgrade to gold. For Great Adventure it has to be processed by September 30th, if it was until the end of the season or even before Holiday in the Park begins it wouldn't have been that bad. 

A few observations.

For those of us that do not live close to a SF park that is a recurring issue every year.  It happens to be November 19th for SFSTL, but that won’t help me out as I won’t make it there until Christmas and that is always weather/health dependent. If I still lived 20 minutes from the gate it would be a non-issue. 

Historically this is the lowest price of the year BUT last year SP price only went up about $4-5 in December so not a huge issue.  

If you choose the membership option there is no deadline to process the pass in park, either the first time or any year thereafter.   For me this is a huge benefit as I can’t be certain to make it to the park by a deadline each year.   Although I will probably roll the dice and wait until December to activate the membership as I already have 2018 SP.  I could wait until spring to start the membership but prices do go up but we do not know for certain by how much.  

In addition the standalone waterpark access is important for my family if we do visit Great Adventure next summer.  

Also an interesting note, historically the best prices were for 4+ passes or memberships in one sale, that does not appear to be the case anymore or at least for this particular sale.  

As Malem said the membership is a credit agreement so if you have issues managing your finances it might not be a good fit.